Chapter Ten

RILEY

Last night hadn't ended like I thought it was.

Everything was fun and hot and Harry was finally starting to give in to me. I had taken back control, and even though I wasn't sure if I was willing to go all the way, I was at least willing to go part way.

His body just felt so good against mine, and the way he moved with me was so appealing and tempting. Like he already knew exactly what to do. I had never felt that way with any other guy, not even Carter. It was honestly a little addicting, and I knew how dangerous that was, especially with his reputation, but I couldn't seem to find it in me to care last night.

That was until an hour or so later, once it was getting really late, that I realized that my mom had never sent me a text saying she was okay or going to sleep. She always did. I never failed to receive a text on my nights out, because she knew how much I would worry.

I called and texted, but got nothing in return. Internally, I was panicking, but on the outside I held it together. Everyone was leaving anyways, so I said a quick goodbye to my friends, Harry waiting for me by the door. I couldn't give less of a shit that people were seeing us leave together, their imaginations probably assuming very dirty things.

Things that I was assuming earlier in the night.

But now that wouldn't be happening. Essentially, I was using Harry for a free ride tonight. I felt a little bad for leading him on, remembering the feeling of him pressing into my ass all night on the dance floor, but none of that mattered. I just needed to get home to my mom and make sure she was okay.

Harry could sense the change in tension, turning from sexual to stressful. Thankfully, he was smart enough to read the room, and realize he wasn't getting any. I would've been pleasantly surprised at the ease in which he was taking this turn of events, if I wasn't so worried. Sadly, I knew too many guys who would've been pissed at the fact they weren't getting into my pants.

Case in point: Trevor.

"Thanks for dropping me off. Sorry, uh..." I stumbled out as I tried getting my seatbelt unbuckled, but for some reason I wasn't able to. My hands were shaking pretty bad, and my eyes were already starting to tear over now that I was home. I didn't know what I was walking into, and my mind was trying to prepare me for the worst.

"Don't worry about it, Ri." Harry said, taking both of my hands in one of his, and popping open my buckle. "You're okay, right?"

I nod my head quickly, "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for the ride." I repeat, not caring how stupid I sounded. I open the door quickly, grabbing my bag from the floor of the car and get out. I rush up the walkway to the door, hand stuffed into my bag trying to locate my keys. I huff until I feel my hand wrap around the cool metal. I take a deep breath before turning it in the lock, Harry's car still idling in my driveway. When the lock clicked, I look back to see him watching me. I'm surprised I don't find it weird, instead feeling a warmth inside me. He was making sure I got in safe. It was well past one in the morning, and while I felt comfortable in my own neighborhood, I was still cautious.

Sending him a quick wave, I dart inside, locking the door behind me. Without turning the lights off, I immediately rush towards my mom's room, opening the door quietly. My heart is racing, and dread is filling me, but when I flick the light on I freeze. I stare at her body, under the covers waiting to see her chest move as she breathes in. Slowly, I start to calm down, walking around her bed to look at her better. Her wrist was splayed out on the bed, so I pressed two fingers to feel her pulse.

It's steady and strong, and I feel relief flood me. She just forgot to text me, I guess. I decide to fill up her water glass in case she wakes up in the middle of the night thirsty, bringing it back quietly so I don't wake her. Turning the light off, I close her door, and walk down the hall to my room.