Chapter 63: Past and Future

The shift of the weather from the humid summer air, to the chilly autumn wind and now the freezing winter breeze. December has officially begun and Sakura felt a wave of nostalgia hit her when she realized something. Around this time, exactly one year ago, Sakura was living with Sasuke in a penthouse around Central Tokyo. She spent Christmas with him, and then that New Year, when everything occured.

"Sometimes I wonder what you're thinking."

Sakura looked up and saw Sasuke looking at her. It was rare to hear him say something like that. If anything, Sakura should be the one telling him the exact same thing. He's always been an enigma and as a mystery Sakura was drawn to him. She couldn't believe it's been a year already and when she thought about it, she would usually fell silent and look melancholic.

"What I'm thinking?" Sakura said, putting her finger on her chin as she looked up and Sasuke found the gesture utterly cute. "I'm thinking about what gender our baby would be."

Sasuke looked at her simply, almost nonchalant as always, before his eyes traveled down her stomach. It's become noticeable now, but since it's Winter and Sakura often wear baggy coats outside, one can hardly tell if she's pregnant.

"The Doctor said we can find out any time this month. Do you want me to make an appointment today?" He asked before he averted his eyes and looked at Sakura.

"Today?" She pursed her lips. "But I don't want to go out today."

Sakura stretched before a thought suddenly appeared in her mind. She's never asked Sasuke about it so it would be nice to hear him answer her question.

"Sasuke-kun, do you want a son or a daughter?"

The question, Sakura could tell, had taken Sasuke aback judging by how he seem to stopped momentarily before he blinked his eyes. "I haven't really thought about it."

Sasuke never actually gave it much thought. The Uchiha clan had been grooming future heads of the family for generations, so it is a given the current head of the family would want a son. But Sasuke never thought about it. It doesn't really matter, in a sense, whether it's a son or daughter. Because he would treat them just the same. His mother always told him that.

But if he really comprehend it thoroughly, there's a small part of him that provided an answer, and Sasuke averted his eyes to look out the window before he muttered.

"But a daughter would be nice," he said. It looks like the first snowfall would come any moment, it's become gradually colder too.

Before, he only had one goal. To kill a certain man and he never thought of what else he will do after that. Reform the organization his father left perhaps? But he never thought he'd receive something better. A wife and a child. It's still so surreal, to think that a year ago he was after his brother's life. Even now, when he would wake up in the middle of the night and see Sakura sleeping soundly beside him, he had to feel her just to reassure himself she's real and all of this isn't a dream. A long dream and perhaps he was fading into oblivion. It was such a scary thought that Sasuke decided to shake it off before it penetrated his mind and looked back to Sakura.

"Let's go somewhere," he said as he stood up.

"Somewhere? But I don't want to go out," she said, pursing her lips as she watched Sasuke walked towards her.