Chapter 39: Sand and Fire

A/n: You guys guessed it right about the new character that'll be introduced here! It's the sand siblings!

Territorial (jelly kinda) Sasuke ahead lmao!
.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Shikamaru looked down before taking the cup of coffee, taking a small sip but putting it back down after deciding that the coffee has gone cold. He looked up and stare at the woman sitting across him. Her eyes wandering around the coffee shop.

"Don't think for once that I'm doing this because I like you," she said, eyes focused on the pastries like they're the most significant thing in the world. "Because I do–don't even like you."

Shikamaru watched her, the small tint on her cheeks didn't go unnoticed and Shikamaru just sighed. He wonder when she'll become more true to herself. How hard would it be to admit her feelings anyway? But then again, Shikamaru wouldn't really bother doing anything either way.

"Whatever you say," Shikamaru said before standing up. "Nonetheless, thank you."

"As I've said, I'm doing this because of what that organization did to my brothers," she said, still looking anywhere but at Shikamaru.

Shikamaru was about to leave but stopped when she mentioned her brothers. They were out of the country just a month ago and Shikamaru suddenly got the news that they're back so quickly. And when he asked his father, Shikaku said something bad happened to her brother. Though Shikamaru doesn't know which brother.

"What happened to your brother anyway?" Shikamaru asked, curious for the first time.

"He was poisoned. Luckily we got him to that hospital just in time."

"Which Hospital?" There are only a few hospitals in Japan affiliated to Yakuza organizations.

"Senju Medical Hospital. The Doctor who treated Kankuro was quite skilled."

Shikamaru had an inkling, a hunch as small as it may seem. But he still asked her that. "Temari, wouldn't you happen to be talking about the Doctor named Haruno Sakura?"

"Yes, I believed that was her name. Do you know her? What's your relationship with her?" Temari realized her last question and instantly her face reddened in embarrassment as she averted her eyes again.

"You don't have to answer it, i-it's not what you think it is."

Shikamaru sighed again and rubbed the back of his neck. "She's a friend,"

Temari calmed herself as she closed her eyes before standing up and looking at Shikamaru, still a trace of red on her cheeks that was becoming less visible now.

"Then, would you mind bringing her along this weekend? Gaara wanted to thank her personally for saving our brother."

With that, Temari left and Shikamaru sat again, finishing the cold coffee as he took his phone out and dialed a number. That's when he called Sasuke and told him that the infamous Sand siblings will lend him a hand. Temari and Gaara. And speaking of Gaara, thanking Sakura personally this weekend. Shikamaru just hope everything would go well, because he really couldn't shake off the feeling that something might turn out the other way than it was suppose to.