Chapter 27: Always

A/n: Warning! Ready your tissue before proceeding with the Chapter.
.
.
.
.
.

Uchiha Itachi was considered a genius, a prodigy at a young age. But behind that perfect façade is a man who has been shouldering a burden since he was young. A burden of being the ideal son and older brother.

Life is always unfair.

But Itachi always believed that life is fair. Because after all, it is unfair to everyone.

Itachi welcomed his brother with a smile. The same smile he had for years that Sasuke almost found foreign. The same smile that didn't reach his eyes. The same smile that doesn't need to be comprehended to know how much it contains sadness.

But Sasuke disregarded all of that. Because all he sees before him is the man who killed their parents ten years ago. And for ten years he continued to fool Sasuke. The man who willingly let his men torture him to death. The man who did not even batted an eye when he told Sasuke everything that transpired that night.

"Sasuke, do you remember what I told you that night?"

Sasuke looked blankly at him. His contained anger helped him remained calm as he draw his sword.

"I don't have time for idle chat, Itachi. I came here to kill you."

Itachi closed his eyes and sighed inaudibly. "I have told you before Sasuke, there is no value in killing the likes of you."

The same word he spoke that night. Sasuke's mind replayed the memory as he clenched his jaw, trying his best to stay as levelheaded as possible. He couldn't afford to let his judgement be clouded by anger.

"If you wish to kill me then hate me, detest me, curse me and survive in an unsightly way," Itachi continued with his eyes closed.

Sasuke calmed himself. As much as he could calm his raging heartbeat. His eyes narrowed as he glared towards Itachi, eyes calculating as he planned his movements.

"Run, run and cling to your pitiful life."

Itachi opened his eyes, within those onyx black orbs in an unmasked sadness but Sasuke did not let himself get fazed by that. Sasuke pointed his katana towards him as Itachi lifted his hand from inside his coat, revealing in his hand the tantō that his father gifted him.

When two sons are born from a Yakuza leader, they must be given each a sword. The son who lack in short-range battle shall be given the katana to sharpen his long-range skill. The son who lack in long-range battle shall be given the tantō to sharpen his short-range skill.

And in battle, they shall stand with each other, guarding each others' backs as they face enemies. After all, that is what brothers are for.

But instead of protecting Sasuke, Itachi used the tantō to kill their parents. And Sasuke swore to kill Itachi using the katana. A fitting way to end it all.

"Sasuke, have you cling to your pitiful life?"

"I hated you, I detested you and I cursed you. Now I survived and I'm ready to kill you." Sasuke gritted his teeth, gripping the hilt of his katana.

Itachi stood up, pulling his tantō out of the sheath as Sasuke stood on guard.

It seems as though time had frozen for a second. It feels as if it ceased to function.