Chapter 13: Friends

Three years. He left the country for three years. He spent those years in America doing heaven knows what, Sakura really had no idea what he did in America. She had lost contact to him after that faithful day when he said he will be leaving and that same day he did leave. She think it has something to do with the inheritance he will be getting from his parents once he got married.

Marriage?

Sakura had always thought that the reason why he used to pester her with all the marriage stuff was because he just wanted to get the money as soon as possible. His aunt, Tsunade had full control of all his money that not even Naruto's godfather could touch a single cent of and that also means neither could Naruto himself.

But Sakura really didn't know if all those failed attempt at proposing was for that sole reason or he was just messing with her. She couldn't even tell if he's serious most of the time.

Now, standing in front of Naruto, Sakura suddenly felt a different atmosphere surrounding the man.

"You... changed," Sakura said after a while of just plain staring.

He really did change, for the better she guess. He was no longer that goofy happy-go-lucky guy who liked to mess with her. For some reason he seem... serious?

Sakura chuckled and shook her head. What's gotten into her? Of course it's the same man who was desperately professing his infatuation towards her, only Sakura couldn't and probably would never return his feelings.

She should've told him before he left. But it was sudden that Sakura had not even had the proper chance of saying goodbye.

"So it's true. You did become a Doctor," Naruto said, pushing himself from the car as he stride towards Sakura.

"Aunt Tsuna told me you became a Doctor in one of her Hospitals. That's to be expected I guess."

He really changed. He wasn't throwing himself at her unlike when they were in high school.

"I didn't know you'll come back so soon."

"What? You didn't miss me, Sakura-chan? I'm heartbroken," he said, putting his hands on his chest for exaggerated emphasis.

Maybe he didn't change completely.

Sakura chuckled and shook her head. "What are you doing here anyway?"

"Let's have dinner."

Sakura thought of declining right away. Sasuke did tell her to come back early. But the moment of hesitation was enough for Sakura to realize that maybe she didn't want to decline at all.

"For old time's sake?" Naruto asked with a grin that was even harder to resist.