T W E N T Y - T H R E E

I gathered up a few outfits and brought an extra just in case. Scorpion stated we were going to camp overnight.

I grabbed Albert's notebook from the backpack and carefully wrapped it. Gently, I slid out my diploma, peering at it one last time. After taking in the image, I opened the bag to put it back. I halted when a sweet, entrancing fragrance escaped the sack. I sat the diploma on my bed and began digging into the backpack curiously, feeling around the bottom for any strange sensation. A cold, soft item made contact with my fingers. I trailed the strange thing, soon sensing a soft stick and thin paper. I clutched the thing by the stick and pulled it out. It was a lovely, deep, mahogany rose. Although it was already aging and became dark in some areas, it kept its beauty. The flower still discharged its pleasing, rich aroma.

"Hurry," Clyde ordained, waiting by my entry.

"I'm ready," I replied, gently adding the rose to the flower pot on the nightstand.

Before I could grasp my bag, Clyde had already made his way inside my room and snatched it out of my grip.

"I got it," I responded, a bit shocked. Clyde paused before stepping back into the hallway, and looked over his shoulder.

"I know. Boss' orders," he returned with his deep, brittle voice.

Right. Of course, I thought.

"Boss said he has a surprise for you. Hurry up."

"W- what's the surprise?" I asked timidly, following after him.

"Why do you think it's called a surprise?"

Good point.

"Boss is in his office. You can go there," he commanded.

I complied. After Clyde and I parted, and I no longer feel his presence, I released a quiet, excited squeal. I was thrilled to enter civilization again and see what was new.

I quickly shuffled down the stairs, turning into hallways and almost skipping. My heart tightened from joy and I wanted to express it.

I slowed down, noticing the lights grew dimmer as I approached the two entrances. I inhaled in a couple of deep breaths and tried to calm myself.

"I want him back!" A roar rumbled from inside the closed door. Although the deep sound was muttering, I could perceive the rage in the expression, which had sent colds down my back.

"No can do. It's mine now," Scorpion answered monotonously.  

"Scorp, you don't love him. What? He reminds you too much of Lilly? Don't try to mess with me." Before any more seconds were wasted, a crashing noise, almost like woods clashing into each other.

I jerked a little, frightened by the loud sound. I turned the doorknob multiple times but the door remained locked.

"Scorpion! Are you all alright? Open the door!" I cried out, continuously pounding on the wood and anxious to know what was happening. Blood rushed to my heart and squeezed my chest painfully tense.

"Scorpion! Come on! Plea-"

"I'm fine," Scorpion dismissed behind the gate. After a few dead silence, the door finally creaked ajar.

I rushed into the room and landed my arms around Scorpion's waist, and with my head buried into his chest. My adrenaline pumped through every corner of me. 

While my heartbeat restored to normal, I got a grasp on myself and instantly withdrew from him. Scorpion, along with the room, was a mess. His hair was disheveled and his suit was creased. To my left were shelves of books and some had fallen to the floor. Straight ahead of the opening, and us, was a large window that peered out to the front of the house. On my right was a hickory, brown office desk that was flipped onto its back, and an office seat shoved into the dark corner. A large portrait of an elegant woman hung behind the desk. Her chestnut, curly hair, and the gentle smile resembled so much like the angels in the garden.