198(M)

after the rain

                           Amie33

They burst into the Tardis together, closing the door shut behind them as they let the warmth of the ship welcome them. The rain hadn’t stopped falling since they escaped the guards carrying them to the sacrificial stake, and the Doctor’s umbrella had barely been enough. They were soaked from head to toes, their clothes drenched, their feet damp despite their shoes. River thought it was one of the worst saving they ever performed.

The Doctor didn’t seem to care, shaking himself and sending droplets fly everywhere around him, a grin on his face. He closed his umbrella before hanging it on the railing, the Tardis humming reproachfully; she didn’t like when he left it dripping on her floor. A pool was already forming under it, and another at the Doctor’s feet. River rolled her eyes, ignoring her husband clasping his hands and already congratulating himself for the way he saved them, taking the umbrella instead and putting it into the umbrella stand, smiling as the Tardis purred in thanks. She reached for the Doctor then, pulling him by his sleeve to drag him to the closest bathroom as he kept talking.

The Tardis wasn’t very angry with them apparently, because River found the bathroom almost immediately, second door in the corridor. Hot water was running into the shower, steam already forming on the mirror glass. River sighed appreciatively, feeling better just by the sight of it, and even the Doctor stopped speaking, letting the warmth of the room sink into his bones.

River removed her scarf and gloves first, discarding them into the laundry basket where they fell with a plop. A second later The Doctor’s jacket dropped upon them.

“That was your plan?” she pointed out as they started to undress, both aiming to be able to enter this tempting hot shower quickly.

“Well it worked didn't it?” He raised a brow at her, or he tried to at least, busy jumping on one foot as he pulled on this other to take off his boot.

“Basically you hoped for lighting, that was it.” She knew she shouldn’t sound angry, and she wasn’t really, just a bit worried maybe. His plan had been ridiculous and stupid. No, the thing was, his plan hadn’t been a plan, it had been luck. They both could have died because he couldn’t come up with anything but a sign from the sky. He should be more cautious; not all his enemies were as easy as two guards believing in Rain Gods. Maybe next time he wouldn’t be as lucky as he had been today, and it was not something she was ready to accept. After what had happened to her parents… She gulped, hiding her sudden pain under her dress as she took it off, and hopefully the Doctor didn’t seem to notice.

“And here we are!” he proclaimed instead, half his shirt dangling from his arm, the other hand holding his bow-tie proudly as if it was a trophy.

“We should be burning at the stake right you, it's lucky for you you're pretty.” She smiled, unable to resist a bit of flirting, not now, not when he was so ridiculously undressing in front of her.

“You were in no danger, I knew something would come up.” He sounded so sure of himself, reassuring, but River knew better. Maybe he had understood something would happen, the moment he smelt the change of weather, but he couldn’t have had any certainty that the lighting would fall on them, and that it would be enough for them to escape. It was just hope.

“No you didn't.” She struggled to remove her boots, the effort and her thoughts making her tone harsher than she had intended to, and the Doctor flinched in front of her. He seemed to notice that she wasn’t as fine as she pretended to be, and he spoke more calmly the next time.

“I did, I promise I did.” He reached for her face, forgetting his clothes for a moment, tilting her chin up. His hands were still cold from the rain but his touch was gentle, and River sighed, closing her eyes  briefly as she enjoyed the proximity. “I wouldn’t have let anyone harm you, you know that. And I won’t, ever.”