32(G)

Birds are leaving over autumn's ending

       mygalfriday (BrinneyFriday)

She sends him a message on the psychic paper.

Normally, he would have gotten it right away and ran to her aid. Except this time, he found a rather delightful planet with ponds of banana daiquiris (not Ponds with a capital P because who would want a Pond full of daiquiris. Amy is rather horrible when she has any sort of alcohol at all and the Doctor wouldn’t be excited about that in the slightest). The thing was, though, this planet also has a strange hatred of tweed. Well, he thinks it’s hatred but he finds out later they’re just very…conscientious. Banana daiquiris are a nightmare to get out of tweed. He figures this out the moment he steps foot off the TARDIS and is immediately wrestled out of his jacket by one of the creatures while another one keeps its suspicious eye on his bowtie (he says ‘eye’ of course because the creatures only have one – right in the middle of their foreheads, interestingly enough). They take his coat hostage until he leaves again, and the Doctor doesn’t think to take his psychic paper from his pocket.

He returns to his ship several hours later, covered in banana daiquiri which actually had turned out not to be banana daiquiri at all (he really doesn’t want to talk about it). He drapes his spotless tweed coat across the jump seat and trudges to his room to shower and change, squelching noisily the whole way.

When he comes out of the shower, still trying to get goo out of his ears rather unsuccessfully (he’s convinced he’s going to smell like banana scented sludge for weeks), his tweed coat is lying on the bed instead of where he’s quite certain he’d left it. He glances around curiously, frowning because obviously the Old Girl is trying to tell him something.

Perhaps she’s just grown fond of the tweed.

Someone should, at least.

Shrugging, he pulls the jacket on over his usual uniform and tugs at the sleeves until he feels a burning in his pocket – a white hot sear that burns his fingers when he pulls the psychic paper out, letting him know whatever message there is has been waiting for quite some time for him to notice.

He drops the paper onto his bed (Not really just his anymore though, is it? He shares it. Sharing. That’s new.) and blows on his scalding fingers until the throbbing stops. His eyes scan the message quickly:

‘Need backup. xx’

Oh.

River needed help. Quite some time ago, it seems.

Not good.

Leaving the paper where it is, he races through the corridors to the control room but the TARDIS has already started without him. She sends them hurtling through the vortex without any direction from him but the Doctor nearly falls all over himself down the stairs and staggers against the console, breathing out, “River. Wherever she is.”

When the TARDIS jolts to a stop, the Doctor is out the doors within moments, not bothering to check the scanner and only patting his pocket to make sure his sonic is with him. As he closes the door behind him, he finds himself in the middle of what at one time might have been just a bunch of sand in the middle of the desert. Now though, it looks more like a battlefield.