♥ THIRTY SEVEN ♥

Alex's POV

"Where's my dad? You said he'd be back by now!" Frances whines as she lays down on my couch.

I sigh. "I know, I know. He's still visiting his family, okay? I'm sure he'll be back very soon." 

Was I giving her false hope? Maybe. It's only been a couple of days and for all I know, his plane could have just been delayed or something. I'm worried about him still being in South Carolina, though. He hasn't texted or written to me yet, and I haven't to him either. I didn't want to upset his father if he was still with him.

"Come on, get ready so I can take you to school." I tell her and she groans over dramatically. 

"But I don't want tooooo!" She whines. 

I sigh. "Frances, come on-"

"I wanna wait for Dad to get home." She sits up, pouting at me.

I frown gently and then go sit next to her. "I know that. But your dad wants you to go to school." I tell her. "Remember what he said before we left?"

She stares at the couch. "To be good for you and the Washingtons." She mumbles. 

I nod. "Exactly. Come on, I promise I'll take you out for ice cream if you go to school today. How does that sound?" She smiles brightly and nods before rushing to where her clothes were and getting changed. 

I drop her off at school and before she leaves my car, she looks up at me. "Um, I know Daddy's not really visiting his family.." She says sadly. "Just..Please try and find him.." She asks. 

I nod. "Okay, I'll try and find him." I say to her. 

She sticks her pinky up and holds it in front of my face. "Pinky promise?" She asks. 

I sigh and and hook my pink with hers. "Pinky promise." I confirm. 

She smiles and then hops out of my car, the six year old waving at me before closing the door and skipping to the playground. 

I chuckle gently and then hear my phone buzz. I quickly grab it and look to the text message. 

1 Unread Message from 'Unknown'

Unknown Hey, Alex, it's John. I'm texting on my sister's phone right now. Just wanted to let you know I won't be back for a couple more days, don't worry about me , though. Tell Frances I'm alright and that I'll be home in time for Christmas. I gotta go now, I miss you guys.

A.Ham Wait, are you still in south Carolina? What's going on?

I type quickly to try and contact him, but I fail. 

Unknown Sorry, John already left.. 

A.Ham Okay.. Thank you. 

I sigh softly and set my phone down, immediately thinking of ways to explain it to Frances. The poor six year old already lost her mother, I don't want her thinking she is losing her dad, too.

Timeskip brought to you by not daring to look back

"Merry Christmas, son. I'm glad you're here." George exclaims after opening the door for me.

I sigh and roll my eyes. "I'm only here to drop Frances off."

"Oh, but we have gifts for you, too!" Patsy squeals from inside, running towards us. "Is this John's kid?" She asks, smiling brightly.

I nod. "Yeah, she's here to spend Christmas with you guys. I'm going back to my house now." I turn around to leave, but I feel a hand on my shoulder.