♣ TWENTY TWO ♣

John's POV

I gasp as I sit up in bed, a clear state of panic rushing through me. I look around, ready to fight off other people, but see I'm surrounded by white walls rather than an open desert.

I raise an eyebrow and look around me. I'm in a hospital. But a weird hospital. I then wince when I hear a ringing in my ears. It was loud, and I didn't like it. I cover my ears, though that didn't do me any good.

I see my commander walk into the room, smiling when he sees me up. I salute him quickly, although it hurt to do so.

He chuckles slightly. "At ease, Laurens. Try not to make too many sudden movements." He says, sitting down in a nearby chair. It was kind of hard to hear him.

"Sir..Do you know what happened?" I ask, looking at my arms. The last thing I remember was running away from enemy soldiers attacking me.

"You were fighting well, soldier. That is until a grenade exploded right next to you. Doctors say you lost hearing in your right ear, and you were lucky that was the worst thing to happen. You should be ready to get back on the field in no time." He smiles at me.

I bite my lip. That would explain all the pain I was in, and why it was hard to hear him. "Sir, it's still very hard to hear you.." I say. "I don't know if it's a good idea for me to go back.."

Truth is, I missed Alex. I missed him so much. Not being able to talk to him was physically painful. It had been distracting me so much, which I'm assuming is part of the reason we were in that trouble in the first place.

I also hated not being there when Philip was born. It was weird, but I felt like I should be helping Alex raise him or something. It is his kid after all, and we are quite literally destined to be together.

I look over at him. "I...I don't want to go back." I say softly.

He smiles gently at me. "Who is it?" He asks.

I raise an eyebrow at him. "Who is who?" I ask.

"The person you wanna get back to, Laurens. I know that look when I see it, and I can also see the writing on your arm. Seems they're worried about you."

I raise an eyebrow and look over at my arms. They were beaten and bruised, but there was Alexander's familiar handwriting in his favorite green ink, all smudged.

All I could make out was '.....ok?...arms look.......now.' He must've written to me soon after the explosion. I look up at the general. "How long was I out?"

"A week. The doctors expected it'd be hard to wake up so quickly. You are a strong person, though." He inhales and then looks at me. "So, who wrote to you?"

I smile at him. "Alexander Hamilton. That's his name."

He nods. "I will send a plane for him to come. Rest up, Laurens. You'll have to get better very quickly."

I nod at him as he stands up to leave. "Wait," I say before he can leave. "Does that mean I have to go back to war?" I ask, frowning gently at him.

He sighs. "You know I can't make that decision, but I will talk to the people who do. I'll try and get you an honorable discharge, okay?"

I smile brightly at him. "Thank you, General."

"Now get some sleep." He points a finger at me, still smiling, before exiting the room. I smile brightly as I lay down, staring at the ceiling. I couldn't wait for Alexander to get here.

Timeskip brought to you by a subtle, perfect, and real smile.

I wake up and yawn. I look around and smile at the person next to me. "Morning, Alex." I close my eyes again before I realize he was there. Like, really there. I sit up quickly and look at him. "Alex? Is that really you?" I ask, biting my lip.

He smiles and nods. "Yes, John. It's me, I'm here." He says excitedly. I hug him, being careful so I didn't hurt myself more. I kiss the top of his head before hugging him for even longer.

"I can't believe you're actually here." I tell him. I hated every second being away from home. I knew joining the military was good for me and all, but God it sucked without him.

"I can't believe you're alive." I hear him say. "I was so worried about you..."

I pull away to look at him, but he still clings to me. I chuckle and pull him away, holding his arms. "Hey, I'm okay. There's nothing to worry about." I tell him. I sigh. "God I missed you so much." I think aloud.

He blushes and hugs me again. I hear him say something, but I don't really hear it at all actually. "I'm sorry, what was that?" I ask.

"Oh, you heard me." He chuckles.

I frown at him. "No really, what did you say?" I ask.

He looks up at me, raising an eyebrow. He then nods. "Oh, that's right...The doctor told me about..." He continued on but I couldn't hear a thing he was saying. I could only see his lips moving.

Suddenly, I hear a loud ringing noise and I cover both of my ears. "Gah, what the hell is that?" I shout. Alex looks at me confused before trying to pull my arms away.

I keep my hands glued to my ears as the ringing continues, before it suddenly stops. I wince at the suddenness but then look back up at Alex. "Did you not hear that? That ringing?"

He slowly shakes his head. "No, I didn't hear anything. Are you sure you're okay, John?" He asks.

I nod. "Yeah, yeah I'm fine. It's probably nothing to worry about, everyone's ears ring from time to time." I say, trying not to make him worry about it. I couldn't imagine how much stress I already put on him.

He frowns. "If you say so..."

I smile at him."Alex, I promise I'm okay."

"Well, I guess that means you'll be good to come back home soon, then!" He says, smiling brightly. I bite my lip and he frowns instantly. "Oh no, you're not coming home, are you?"

I sigh. "I can't guarantee it. I mean, eventually, yes. I will be coming home. But I might be going back to war soon.."

"How soon?"

"Like, as soon as I'm ready to get back out there.."

He frowns. "John..."

"Alex, I don't want to. I asked for a discharge and my general is going to try and get it for me, but-"

"No, it's fine. I get it." He sighs. "Just...If you do go back, try not to scare me so bad?"

I smile gently at him. "I promise to try."

He smiles. "I'll take it."

1181 Words