♠THREE♠

John's POV

"Oh good, I was worried you weren't going to show up!" The tall French man says to me as I approach the booth him and a shorter man are sitting in. 

I smile politely at them and nod, not sure what else to do. "Well, I had no other plans sooo...You know." 

Lafayette smiles at me and then gasps."Oh, right. Laurens, meet Hercules Mulligan. He's my roommate. Mulligan, meet John Laurens. He's my little brother's roommate." He says and I reach my hand to shake the man with the bandanna around his head's hand. He shakes it back and smiles shyly.

"Nice to meet you." He says in quiet tone.

"Likewise." I nod. "Anyway, why did you invite me?" I ask.

"Well, you seem chill. I figure we should try and make a couple friends before school starts, and I unfortunately knew it'd be hard for you, seeing as Alexander is your roommate." He explains. 

"Right..Did you say he's your brother?" I ask.

"I mean, technically yes, technically no. We were fostered by the same family up until we aged out of the system. I stayed with the family until college started and he moved out as soon as he turned eighteen.." He sighs.

I nod slowly. "So he's just always been an asshole, then?" I ask, scoffing slightly. 

I could see these weren't the right words, though, as I see Lafayette's smile turn into a frown. "No, not always. And he doesn't mean to be rude, he just...He had a rough life." He says, looking down at the table. "But don't tell him I told you. He'd kill me."

I tilt my head. "He'd kill you? You're like two feet taller than him."

He frowns. "Just..Please don't tell him."

"Right, I won't.."

There was an awkward silence that fell over the table before Lafayette clapped his hands together. "Anyway, enough about people who aren't here. Why don't we get to know each other a little bit more. Do you guys have any siblings?"

"Nah, I'm an only child thankfully." Hercules says, smiling slightly. 

"I'm the oldest of five. My four younger siblings are all in South Carolina with my parents." I tell them, trying to hide my frown. I hated thinking of the fact that I left them with the monster known as my father. 

"Wow, that's a lot of kids. You're parents must love each other very much." Lafayette teases and I chuckle. 

"Yeah, of course they do." I lie to them. My parents hate each other so much. My father is abusive and hates anything that moves if he doesn't want it to and my mother is the sweetest woman alive. She couldn't dislike anyone, except for Henry. She stays with him for us, she hasn't told us that, but we all know it's true.

"Hi, I'll be your waiter today. What can I get for you guys?"

Timeskip brought to you by the beautiful piano at the end of That Would Be Enough

"Well, thank you guys for a fun night!" I say to the other two as I stand up. "It was nice to meet some people who didn't hate me."

Hercules chuckles gently and nods. "Same here. Should we go back to our dorm now?" He asks Lafayette.

"Yeah, just," He pauses and turns towards me. "Don't be so quick to judge Alexander. He's always had trouble making friends and distracts himself with work to make him feel better. Maybe try small acts like making him coffee in the morning or something."

I smile at him and nod. "Yeah, okay. I'll make sure to do that."

I wave goodbye and then walk out of the restaurant and towards the school. I go into our dorm building and take the elevator to our dorm room, opening the door slowly to see Hamilton typing away on his laptop. "Hey, Alexander." I say, seeing how he'd react to me calling me by his first name.

He glares at me and then goes back to typing. "Fuck off, Laurens."

I sigh and close the door behind me, plopping down on my bed across from his. Unfortunately, this dorm room was only one room and sort of small, so there was no escaping being near him or hearing him mutter curse words every now and then. 

I put my earbuds in to try and tune out the noise of him typing and decide to grab a pen. I face away from Alex so I could write to my soulmate. I didn't want him seeing and then making fun of me for it.

'Hey, it's me again.' I write. I then mentally facepalm. Of course they know who it is, who else would it be? 'Sorry, I just realized that was kind of stupid. I just didn't know how to start a conversation.'

For a few moments, there was no response. I sigh and set down my pen on my nightstand before feeling the same pinching feeling on my arm. I smile and look down at my arm.

'Hey, sorry I kinda left earlier. I wasn't in the best mood.' They reply.

'That's ok.. Wanna talk about it?' I write back rather quickly.

The same green pen then writes back, 'Nah, it wasn't anything worth complaining about. Anyway, I've gotta get back to what I was doing..I'll talk to you later?'

'Yeah, sounds great. Goodnight.'

'Goodnight.'

I reset my pen down on the nightstand and then glance at Hamilton, who is glaring at me. He had said something, but I didn't hear him due to the earbuds. I took one out. "I'm sorry, what?" I ask.

He scoffs. "What are you doing?" He asks, sounding annoyed.

"It's none of your business, Hamilton. I thought you didn't want to be interrupted while you were working?" I say back to him.

"Well, it's kind of hard when you're over there slamming your pen on the nightstand, picking it back up, and then slamming it down again." He scoffs. 

"I wasn't even slamming it." I roll my eyes and then pick up the pen again. "I could slam it down if you want me to, though." 

He rolls his eyes and then stares at my arm. He bursts into laughter. "Oh my gosh, are you writing to your soulmate?" He asks, obviously teasing me. 

I blush and pull my arm to my chest, trying to cover it. "No! Why would I be doing that?"

He sets his laptop down and then walks over to me, trying to grab my arm. "Let me see, Laurens. I don't believe you."

I frown up at him. "Knock it off, Hamilton." I argue to him.

He eventually wrestles my arm away from my body and examined it carefully. I look away and he pauses before bursting into another fit of laughter. "Oh my God, Laurens. You were actually writing to your soulmate. You know those things aren't real, right?" He asks.

"Let me guess, you never received any messages from yours? I'll bet you don't even have one." I snap back at him. So much for trying to be friends. He pauses and stares at me for a second more before I pull my arm away from him. "What's the matter, can't handle the truth?" I ask.

He frowns. "Fuck you, Laurens. I don't have time for a soulmate anyway. I don't need stupid people getting in my way of doing what I want." He says angrily before returning to his bed and typing on his laptop.

I sigh and lay down on my side facing away from him. There was no way I was going to be able to survive this with him as my roommate.