♦ THIRTY ONE ♦

Alex's POV

"Hey, you ready to go?" Eliza asks me. I look up from my laptop and nod slowly. She was allowing me to hang out in her dorm room for a little bit, since she no longer had a roommate. Angelica had texted her asking her to come to the doctor's office, saying something was wrong with Peggy. 

I put my laptop away and we walk in silence towards her car. Once we start driving, she turns the radio on, but we both stay silent. There just wasn't anything to talk about. 

On the way I think about John. He would probably be there, since I saw him leave with Laf earlier when I was grabbing my stuff. I hate seeing him in pain. It makes me sad all over again. But then I remember that if I want to protect him, I have to keep my distance. That's how these things work it seems. 

We soon arrive at the office and when we walk in, sure enough, there's John playing with his daughter. I'm glad he's a father, truly. He was great with Philip. It's just very unfortunate timing when she showed up.

Lafayette was sitting next to him, bouncing his leg anxiously, and Angelica was across from them, staring at the door. Eliza walks over and sits next to Angelica, hugging her as she does. I sit down next to Eliza, diagonal from John, and glace up at him. 

He was staring at me, but quickly turned his attention back to the blonde in front of him when I looked up at him.  I then turn to Angelica and Eliza to see them talking quietly. There was an awkward silence as I glance over at Lafayette. 

"Laf, what's going on?" I whisper, though everyone could hear it. 

He opens his mouth to answer, but seems flustered as he shakes his head. "I have no clue, honestly.." 

Angelica sighs and I turn back to her. "We were hanging out with Peggy when suddenly, she like switched and became a different person. She told us she was..Well, Maria Lewis." She hesitates and I raise an eyebrow and shake my head. 

"That's..That's not possible. We all knew Maria and Peggy at the same time." I say and they nod slowly in agreement.

"Right.. Some of us more than others, but yes, we did all know Maria." Angelica says, giving me a small side glare. Eliza may have forgiven me for the whole incident, but I knew Angelica never fully did. She holds some serious grudges. 

"So... She just thinks she's a different person?" Eliza asks, just as confused as the rest of us. 

"Well, kind of." A doctor interrupts. "I can talk to you guys in my office about Ms. Margarita Schuyler." He says, gesturing to the now open door. 

We all scatter into his office. There was a desk and two chairs in front of it, which Angelica and Eliza sat in. I stood in the back in one corner, John in the other corner with his kid in his arms, and Laf standing by the door, between us. I cross my arms and the doctor takes a seat to face us. 

"Do you guys happen to know Maria Lewis? One that looks a lot like Margarita?" He asks. I think about it and honestly, they do look very much alike. I never really thought of that before. 

We all slowly nod. "Um.. Yeah, she went to college with us." Angelica says. "But why does Peggy think she is her?" 

"Have you ever heard of a multiple personality disorder?" He asks and everyone but me shakes their head. I had met a few people with the symptoms, since Nevis wasn't exactly known for their good parents. "Well, basically it's a disorder where someone has two or more different personality states, or an alter ego if you will. It's caused by physical trauma." He explains. 

"She was in a car crash a couple days ago, but we all knew Maria before that. Like, years before." Angelica says. 

The doctor tilts his head. "This isn't new, Ms. Schuyler. She's been struggling with this for years, possibly since she was born. The car crash, however, would explain why it's gotten worse. She's made a more permanent switch to this other personality."

"Permanent?" Lafayette questions. 

"Wait, there's no way she's had this and we haven't seen it. I mean, that's not..How could that even happen?" Angelica stammers. 

"Well, it seems like it was very subtle before, only causing her to switch when she felt threatened in some way." He says. "It's perfectly possible that not even she would realize when she made the switch."

"But..Maria was my roommate, and Peggy was my sister. I saw both of them last year during school." Eliza mumbles. 

"Ever see them at the same time? Or even on the same day?" He asks.

Eliza slowly shakes her head. "I didn't really see much of Maria..I always figured she was at someone else's dorm room." She admits. She then looks over at me. "Did...Did you..?"

I think about it and shake my head very slowly. It was about a year ago, sure, but I was still on some very thin ice right now from that whole situation. Now the fact that I cheated on a Schuyler with another Schuyler sister was adding to that, so it would not be pretty for me I'm sure. 

"Look on Thomas's Instagram." John suggests. We look over at him and he shrugs. "I mean, the pictures are still up, we can look closely and really determine if it was actually Peggy..."

Laf nods and pulls out his phone, scrolling through some stuff before staring at it for a little bit. He nods. "That...That's definitely Peggy..." He says.

I cringe and glance over at Angelica, who was glaring daggers at me. If looks could kill, I'd be a dead man standing right here and now. Luckily, they can't, so I get to live another day. 

Angelica then turns back to the doctor, who seemed a bit confused. "So anyway, when can we expect her to switch back?" She asks. "And is there anything we can do?"

He sighs and shakes his head. "There's nothing you really can do, and there's no way of telling when the switches will occur. For all we know, she may never switch back. My suggestion is to befriend both personalities, and any others if they were to surface, so that no matter what, you can help her out." 

Eliza frowns. "So...I've lost my son...And my sister is the one who my boyfriend cheated on me with...And my sister may never be my sister again.." She says, going through all of the items on the invisible checklist. I frown. 

"I'm sorry to hear that.." The doctor says before nodding at us. "She's free to go home, now though. Remember, be patient with whichever personality she may be inhabiting that day, it's not her fault." 

We nod in response and then walk out of the door. Lafayette was holding the kid now I noticed, and John walked up to me. 

"Hey, we need to talk."

1189 Words

Be honest
Did you see it coming?
I'm trying to get better at plot twists •_•