♦ TWELVE ♦

Alex's POV

It's been a month since I decided I was going to tell John everything. And I have told him nothing.

How am I supposed to? He's always hanging out with that Francis guy.. I think he may like him, and I don't want to ruin that for him. I mean technically, soulmates can wait...Right?

I don't know anything about waiting. Or soulmates. I thought they weren't real up until like last month. I was convinced being "destined to love someone" was just ridiculous. I mean, it even sounds crazy.

But John is...He's different.

I've seen the way he acts around other people. He's thoughtful and caring..And he gives everyone a chance. Hell, he even tried giving me a chance and I pushed him away one too many times.

I've been nicer to him this past month. I haven't started a single argument with him (although I have wanted to so badly) and have been calling him John, but he seems uncomfortable. He doesn't quite believe me, so he still calls me Hamilton and just overall keeps his distance away from me.

I don't know how I'm supposed to make it better. Lafayette keeps telling me I need to tell him the truth, but I don't want to ruin whatever he has with Francis. They seem really happy together.

As I'm typing on my laptop, the two walk in as if on cue. They are both laughing at something before stopping to look at me. John sighs.

"Sorry, I didn't know you were in here, Hamilton." He says before turning to exit.

"No wait," I start. "You guys can hang out in here, I don't mind."

He turns and looks at me, raising an eyebrow. He had the same cute reaction everytime I was nice to him.

"Are you sure? You look busy." He says. "We can hang out elsewhere-"

"No, I insist." I say, smiling at them.

John hesitates but nods and walks over to his bed, Francis sitting down next to him. Francis smiles at me. "You know, I don't believe we've met. I'm Francis." He says, holding out his hand.

I hold back my general hatred of new people as I reach out and shake his hand. "Alexander." I say. "But you can call me Alex, or John calls me Hamilton..." I mumble the last part.

John nods slowly and then looks around. "Are you sure you want us in here? Cuz I really don't mind getting out of your hair for a bit-"

"John, calm down. I don't mind the company." Well, it was half true. I don't mind his company. I mind Francis's. But we won't talk about that.

John just nods and turns towards Francis. "Anyway, continue with your story." He says.

"Oh, right. So then Mary ran all the way from our house to their house, shouting complete nonsense the entire time. My pops was so angry, but there was really nothing he could do about it. She had a point after all." Francis says, trying to sound interesting.

John chuckles lightly as he shakes his head. I guess he did sound interesting to John. "That's hilarious. They had it coming, though."

"Oh, definitely. They had been doing that for years. She should've done it sooner." Francis chuckles. I try my best to focus on my work, but it was so tempting to listen on on their conversation.

There was a moment of silence before John piped up. "Are you going back to South Carolina after you graduate?" He asks.

Francis scoffs. "Hell no. There's nothing there. Are you?" He asks.

I hear John sigh and I look up subtly. He seemed conflicted about it for some reason. "I...I don't want to, but I know I probably don't have a choice." He said quietly.

Francis nods, frowning. "I see.."

I open my mouth to say something, but then look down as I realize I'm not a part of the conversation. John apparently noticed, however, and he scoffs. "What, got something to say, Hamilton?" He asks.

I shake my head. "Nope, just working on my homework." I say plainly as I type random letters into my word document.

"No, go ahead. I saw you, you were going to say something, just spit it out." He says. I look up to see him crossing his arms and Francis frowning gently, but not saying anything.

I sigh and set my laptop down. "Well, I was just wondering what was so bad about South Carolina?" I ask.

He frowns and shakes his head. "Nevermind, you wouldn't understand."  He turns towards Francis.

"Well, why not?" I ask. "I mean, it couldn't be that bad." I say, thinking of how his life could compare to mine. Not that I was trying to start an argument, but I've had it pretty rough and would probably still go back to Nevis.

He raises an eyebrow annoyingly at me. I successfully pissed him off. Great. Because that's how I get him to stop hating me.

"You know what, Hamilton? You don't know anything about me. Do you even understand that? I know you think you know everything, but you don't. You don't give a shit about anything that doesn't involve you, so I don't know why you're pretending to want to get to know me." He ranted. He was really upset about the comment I made.

"John, I'm not pretending, I actually do want to-"

"Stop, don't lie to me. I don't want that from you." He turns back to Francis. "Come on, we should go."

"Where are we going?" Francis asks.

I sigh and go back to my computer, realizing I just dug myself a deeper hole.

"Anywhere but here." John says angrily.

I see Francis blush and get nervous. "Well...Maybe we could go to the movies?" He suggested.

John shrugs. "That's fine, let's just go-"

"No, I mean like on a date?"

I freeze and look up at them with wide eyes. John's expression softens as he blushes. He looks over at me (which I'm not sure why, he was angry at me two seconds ago) and then back at Francis. He smiles. "Yeah, yeah I'd love to." He says.

Francis holds out his hand and John blushes as he holds it and they walk out, not looking back. I sigh and hold my head in my hands. I was too late. I knew I would be if I continued to wait, but I guess I never actually thought one of them would build up the courage to ask the other out.

I then hear my phone buzz and I look over at it to see a text message from Eliza. She hadn't texted me since that day they Maria post blew up. She wouldn't even look at me. I begged her to forgive me, but I knew I didn't deserve it.

5:32 pm

Elizabeth Hey.

I look at it a bit longer. She was never one to keep her messages short, she always had something more to say. But it was sort of an awkward situation.

A.Ham Hello

I wait for her to text back. I don't know exactly what she wants, but I know I would do anything to make her not hate me anymore. I can take hate from everyone else, but not her.

5:36 pm

Elizabeth Can we talk for a little bit?

A.Ham Yeah, sure. Did you want to meet somewhere?

Elizabeth Yeah, meet me in the campus garden at six.

A.Ham Alright, see you then.

1255 Words

Updates are going to be a little slower, I'm sorry! I gave a little bit of a longer chapter to make up for it though. Also, to my two readers, stop hating on Francis so much, this story isn't like that I promise lol.