♦ EIGHT ♦

Alex's POV

"Jesus..." I mumble as I sit up in bed. "We can't keep doing that..."

Maria sits up next to me and leans her head on my shoulder. "Well, why not?" She asks innocently.

I look at her and scoff. "Maria, we are both in relationships. If anyone were to find out-"

"Yeah yeah, we won't get caught, calm down." She rolls her eyes and stands up, grabbing her sweater and putting it on.

I sigh. "But what if somebody sees us? I mean, what if my roommate walks in or something?" The truth is, I was starting to fall in love with my roommate. I couldn't have him getting the wrong idea.

"We locked the door, Alex. Just relax, okay?" She says, putting her hands on her hips.

I roll my eyes and grab my phone to see a few different notifications. There were multiple Instagram notifications and a few messages, along with Snapchats and game app notifications.

I open my messages first to see a couple from Eliza, and a bunch from Lafayette. I open Eliza's messages first.

2:36 pm

MiAmor Hey Alex, you busy? I was thinking of seeing a movie tonight.

                         2:53 pm

MiAmor Nevermind, clearly you're too busy for a movie.

I tilt my head and then open Lafayette's messages.

2:52 pm

Baguette What is wrong with you?

Baguette Like seriously, what was going through your mind?

Baguette I need you to answer me now.

2:54 pm

Baguette Answer your phone, dammit!

I set down my phone and look up at Maria. "What the hell is wrong with people?" I ask.

She doesn't answer, though. She stares at her phone in shock and I raise an eyebrow. "Maria? You alright?"

"Check your Instagram." She responds quickly. "I'm so dead..." I hear her mumble.

I scroll down and check my notifications to see Jefferson had tagged me in a post. I click it, knowing that had to be what the drama was about.

I see a few different photos of Maria and I kissing, and one photo of us going into my room. I check to see who's tagged and see most of the people I expected. Me, Maria, Eliza, Burr, Madison and... Some guy named Turtle_Luver.

I tilt my head and click on the username to see the one and only, John. Fucking. Laurens.

I go back to the post and look through all the comments, seeing it blew up rather quickly. Everyone had seen it. "Shit..." I mumble.

"Yeah, no kidding." Maria says. "James is going to kill me..."

"Everybody's going to kill me...I cheated on a Schuyler sister...Have you met her older sister?" I ask, running my hand through my hair as I read through all of the comments. They were all very hurtful, but I knew I deserved it.

"Is there anything I can-"

"Just go, Maria. Don't come back." I tell her. "Whatever this is, is over."

She frowns but nods as she walks out of my room. I look through more of my notifications before I finally just shut my phone off. I did not need more people annoying me.

Not that it worked anyway. Literally seconds later I could feel a pinching feeling on my arm. I scoff and look at it.

'Hey, how are you?'

I frown and grab my green pen. I was about to go off on him, then I realized John doesn't know I'm his soulmate. I know he's mine, but I haven't told him yet.. I sigh and look at my arm.

'Not in a good mood. Leave me alone.' I write back.

How could I talk to him after he did that to me?

'What's wrong?'

'Just leave me alone, dammit.' I say to him before sighing and throwing my pen across the room. There was no response, showing John clearly got the hint.

I was going to tell him today, too. I was going to end things with Maria and then explain to Elizabeth the truth, and then tell John I was his soulmate.

He was amazing. We wrote to each other everyday and my relationship with Eliza started to become less and less of a distraction, but in a good way.

But then he did this. I knew he had started hanging out with Jefferson and his crew, but I couldn't stop him because he hated me. He still does hate me.

The door opens, snapping me out of my thoughts. I look up and glare at the freckled man standing in the door way.

He sighs. "Don't give me that crap, I've heard enough of it."

He walks in and lays down on his bed, trying to avoid this.

"Well, you haven't heard it from me." I say, crossing my arms. "What the hell is wrong with you? Who gave you the right to post that and ruin two other people's lives? And since when do you hang out with Jefferson? Don't you know how awful he is?" He stays facing away from me and I huff. "Hello, I'm talking to you."

He turns around and glares at me through teary eyes. "You know what, Hamilton? I didn't even post it. I was trying to convince him not to post it, but he did it anyway. And I don't know why you're mad at me, I'm not the one who cheated on someone a few days after getting into a relationship." He says before turning back around.

I can tell he's got a lot of shit from this already. Probably a lot of it came from my fake brother. But I don't care. He ruined my life. So much for being soulmates.

"Okay, I know what I did was wrong. I will admit to that. But that still doesn't give you the right to go and ruin my life over it. What are my professors going to think? What about the people who are somewhat close to me? What about Eliza's older sister? You know she's going to kill me when she sees it-"

"So let her." I hear John say, still facing the wall.

I stop talking and stare in shock at him. He starts to softly cry and I frown. I pushed him too far.

"John, I'm sor-"

"No. You don't need to be sorry. You helped me realize my mistake." He says before standing up and putting both of his earbuds in. He grabs a couple things and then walks out of the dorm before I could object, leaving me to sit in silence.

1094 Words