♣ SEVENTEEN ♣

John's POV

"Ok, Francis, you know what? This isn't working." I say suddenly, interrupting our argument.

He stops and looks at me. "W-what do you mean?" He asks.

"Us. We're clearly not meant..." I pause and take a shaky breath. "We're not meant for each other."

"No, don't say that.." Francis frowns and grabs my hands. I pull them away.

"You can't even support me in my biggest decision! How are we supposed to continue when you refuse to be there for me?" I ask.

"You enlisted in the military, John! It's not like you decided to drop out of school to do some other, safer, job!" He says.

"Yes, I know what I did." I say, crossing my arms. "And I'm going to serve in the military. I'm going to finish this semester and then join the army. If you're not going to support me in that, then we need to rethink this relationship."

He pauses and his eyes started to water. "J-John, you can't be serious."

I nod. "I am, Francis. It's either you support my decision, or we need to.." I hesitate once again. "We need to break up." I say firmly.

He frowns at this. "I don't want you dying, though.." He mumbles.

I smile slightly and pull him into a hug. "I get it. I know it's a dangerous job. But it's what I want to do.." I say, holding on tight to him.

"Well...Then I don't want to get in the way of that." He pulls away and looks at me through teary eyes. He was smiling, but I could tell he was in pain. "I'll never be able to support you the way you want me to. You can hate me all you want, but we're going to have to let this come between us."

I feel my heart shatter. Yes I had been suggesting us breaking up since this argument started, but I never actually thought he'd go through with it. I nod slowly, understanding I was wrong about him.

"Fine. If that's...If that's really how you feel.." I mumble.

"John, don't be like that-"

"No, don't tell me how to feel." I spit at him.

"John-"

"You know what? Every infamous germ that can disgrace humanity is developed in your admired form of our Government." I say angrily towards him.

He raises an eyebrow. "What does that even mean?" He asks, scoffing slightly.

"It means your an idiot with terrible ideas about our government! How could you even possibly think those things?" I sigh and shake my head. "Nevermind, I don't care. I bid you adieu."

I walk back into the room and close the door behind me, sighing softly. I can't believe I just did that.

"What's wrong?" I hear Alex ask from his bed.

It's only then I realize tears are actually escaping my eyes. I don't know how long I've been crying, but I knew I definitely was. I feel the sadness overwhelm my body as I fall to the floor, sobbing gently.

Alex rushes over to me, seeming genuinely concerned. "John, what happened?" He asks.

"We-we....We broke up." I stutter as I hug my knees close to my chest.

He rubs my shoulder gently, keeping a slight distance from me. "I'm sorry to hear..." He says quietly.

I continue to cry. All I could feel was sadness. How could he do that to me? We spend seven months together and then he decides to walk out when I make possibly the most difficult decision ever?

"He-He left me...Because I wanted to join the military..." I mumble.

"What the fuck?" He exclaims. "He has no right to do that to you. John, you deserve 1,000 times better." He says.

I know he's being sincere, but nothing I'm hearing right now is being taken seriously. He doesn't actually mean that, he's just saying it to make me feel better.

"Come on, sit up.." He said quietly and helped me up.

I sit up slowly before throwing myself into his arms. He hesitates but wraps his arms around me as I cry into his chest.

"How-How-How could he do that t-to me?" I ask more to myself as I continue to sob.

"Shh...It's okay..." Alex said slowly as he rubbed my back. "It'll all be alright, okay?"

I nod and pull away, wiping away my tears. "I'm-Im sorry...You probably don't want to deal with this right n-"

"Stop." He interrupts. "John, I'm your friend, I'm going to be there for you even if you don't think I should be." He assures me.  I frown and look up at him. 

"R-really?" Was all I could say. It was rare that someone ever cared for me when they didn't have to. In fact, I think Francis was the first person out of my family to. And now he was gone. 

He smiles gently at me and nods. "Yes, John of course. I should tell you..." He stops himself. 

I raise an eyebrow. "What? What is it?" I ask him. 

He shakes his head. "Nevermind." He smiles. "Why don't you get ready, I'm taking you to have some fun tonight."

"I don't wanna have fun, I wanna curl up in bed and fall asleep forever." I grumble as I start to scoot myself towards my bed. 

"Nope, let's go." Alex says as he helps me stand up, dragging me away from my bed. "Come on, I know just where to go."

I groan as I grab my hoodie from the closet. Yes, I'm aware it's late April and almost 80 degrees out, but hoodies are comfortable and I need some sort of comfort right now. I frown as I follow Alex out of the dorm and to his car. 

"You know, I really don't think I need to do anything tonight-"

"John, just try and relax. I want to help." He bites his lip. "Do you trust me?"

I stare at him slightly. I think I do, but I also thought I could trust Francis. What if he's the same?

Oh my god, what am I thinking? One bad person doesn't mean everyone else is bad...Or does it?

I find myself slowly nodding, almost as if it was my instinct to. He smiles and holds my hand and drags me away from his car.

I stare at our hands the entire time we're walking. It was weird because Francis's were large and fit around my whole hand. They were also rough and very weird to hold, but I did it anyway.

Alex's hand was small, obviously, but it was warm and comforting. It fit in my hand almost perfectly.

"John, you can look up now."

1128 Words

Yay two chapters in two days (right? I think so I could be wrong tho I don't remember)

Aaaannywaayy

If you like..
-My writing
-Philidosia
-Reading random historical fanfiction
Or
-All of the above

You should check out my new Philidosia book :)

It's set in the time period Hamilton is set in rather than a modern one, and I wanted to try something new this time. It's called "Forever and Ever" and the prologue is already out, the first chapter is to come out on July 4th.

Or don't, it's your choice. See you all either in the next chapter or in my other book!