♦FOUR♦

Alex's POV

John Laurens is my soulmate? Is that even possible? But I hate this guy. 

"Let me guess, you never received any messages from yours? I'll bet you don't even have one." He asks snarkily. I stare at him in shock. There is no way that this is the person I'm 'destined to be with' or whatever shit they're trying to plant in our brains. "What's the matter, can't handle the truth?"

I frown at this. "Fuck you, Laurens. I don't have time for a soulmate anyway. I don't need stupid people getting in my way of doing what I want." I snap at him before returning back to my bed and grabbing my laptop, trying to pick up where I left off in my writing. 

I look over at my roommate to see him laying down and facing the wall. I glance down at my arm to see the same words in the same order written down on my arm. I stare at it a little longer before shaking my head. Soulmates aren't real, that's just the government trying to control us in whatever way they can. I haven't quite figured out what that way would be, but all I know is love isn't real. And neither is fate or destiny or any of that other bullshit. 

If it was, then all that crap wouldn't have happened to me. 

I sigh and look over at my roommate once again. He was already sound asleep, snoring very lightly. How cute. What if he's an exception?

No, what am I thinking. There are no exceptions in this world. Everyone is the exact same. I go back to typing but find that I can't even bring myself to think of the right words to write down. I sigh and put my laptop away before laying down on my bed and falling asleep. 

Timeskip brought to you by a dead gay son (aka John Laurens-)

"Good morning, roomie!" A cheerful male voice says as they take the pillow away from my face. I groan and look up at him. "I made you coffee." He says. 

I roll my eyes. "Let me guess, you put lots of creamer and other crap in it?" I ask. He doesn't answer, but I know that means he did. I sit up. "Yeah, I don't do any of that. I just go to the coffee shop every morning." 

"Oh..Well, maybe I could go with you?"

"No." I reply quickly, glaring up at him.

He frowns. "Well, why not? Let me buy you your cof-"

"What do you want, Laurens?" I ask, leaning back in my bed while staring up at him with an annoyed look on my face. 

He sighs. "I just want to be friends, Alex. I want to make this year bearable, and it would be pretty difficult if me and my roommate hate each other." He explains. 

I roll my eyes once again and then say, "First off, don't call me Alex. Secondly, I don't want to be your friend. Third, this year could be bearable if you just leave me alone." I say before hopping out of bed. I change my pants, leaving my hoodie on so he couldn't see my arms. I then grab my wallet and phone, shoving it in my pocket and exiting the room promptly.

I walk to the coffee shop the Schuylers worked at to see all three of the sisters there today. I go up to the counter. "Ah, so the youngest Schuyler joins us today." I say to them, causing all three to turn around towards me. The two older girls smile at my while the smallest in yellow crosses her arms. 

"Alex, I have told you time and time again to call me Peggy." She pouts while Eliza goes to the cash register and plugs in my usual order.  "And also, I was sick yesterday, give me a break!"

I chuckle and Eliza looks up at me, unlike literally everyone else. "For here or to go?"

I sigh. "For here."

She nods. "Roommate's still giving you trouble?"

"It seems that way." I say before nodding at her as she hands me my coffee. "Thank you, Ms. Schuyler."

She smiles and blushes. "Anytime."

I go over to a small table in the corner and pull out my phone. I hate doing my homework on my phone, but I forgot my laptop so there was no other choice.

I start to type but freeze. I couldn't think of anything to say. That never happens why is this happening to me?

I try typing a sentence but when I read over it, I see the word 'journal' and freaked out because I thought it said 'John.' Is something happening?

Am I being punked or something? I've never not been able to focus on homework.

I'll bet it's John. God dammit, Laurens, did you have to be so cute?

I MEAN SOULMATE. Did you have to be my soulmate?

Ah shit.. I need a distraction. I look around the cafe and spot the Schuylers talking behind the counter.

Of course! If I start dating one of them, I'll completely forget about Laurens. I'd be so involved in a different relationship that I won't even have time to think about him. Then I could prove there's no such thing as a "soulmate" as well.

It's not so much of a question of "if," it's more of "which one?" I know Angelica and Elizabeth have both fallen for me, and I honestly like Angelica better. But Elizabeth would be easier to woo.

I stand up and approach the counter once again, smiling at the three of them. "Good morning, Ms Schuyler." I nod at Elizabeth and she smiles.

"Did you already finish your coffee?" Angelica asks, leaning against the counter and crossing her arms.

"Well, no, I just wanted to ask Ms. Elizabeth if she was interested in going on a date with me this Saturday?" I ask, looking up at the Schuyler in blue.

Both Elizabeth and Angelica stare at me with wide eyes, and Peggy just squeals in excitement. I wait for an answer nervously. This has to work.

"Y-yeah! W-w-what were you thinking?" She asks, trying to play it cool.

I smile. "I'll pick you up at your dorm room around 7. It'll be a surprise." I wink at her.

She stares at me in awe and just nods excitedly. "Ok, yeah! Sounds great!" She says.

Angelica chuckles gently, clearly uncomfortable. "Okay, Alex there's a line forming behind you. You've asked your question, now do your work." She rolls her eyes gently.

I smile and nod. "Of course, of course." I tip an imaginary hat to Eliza and smile at her. "Until Saturday."

She blushes madly and I grab my stuff and exit. This has to work. There's no way it couldn't work.

1149 Words