♥ EIGHTEEN ♥

Alex's POV

"John, you can look up now." I tell him.

He looks startled as he looks up from our hands. He blushes gently and I point up. He looks at the sky full of stars and stares in awe. I smile at him.

"Where are we?" He asks.

"Just on a little hill not too far from our school." I say, shrugging. "I found this place when I first moved to New York, and it's amazing to just come here and relax." I say, sitting down.

He slowly sits down next to me, smiling gently. This causes me to smile. I'm glad he was able to get his mind off of the breakup.

"This is...It's beautiful.." He says, looking up at the sky. "But how? We're still in the city?"

"Well, yes but it's a little ways away still and it's above all the streetlights at least." I explain. "I don't know why you can see stars here, but I'm glad I found this place."

He nods. "Me too." He leans his head on my shoulder and I blush. "Thanks for bringing me here, this is what I needed."

"Anytime, John." I say, still blushing. Luckily, it was dark enough he couldn't see my pink face. I lean my head on his and we stay that way until like midnight, just talking and laughing.

Timeskip brought to you by the thrill of the kill becoming your only law

"Holy shit, dude, we finish our first year in a week." John says, bursting through the door.

I chuckle and nod. "Yes, I know, I'm stressing over finals right now." I roll my eyes and he smiles awkwardly.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were studying!" He says, sitting down on his bed. I close my laptop and put it to the side.

"It's fine, I can study later. Did you need something?" I ask, tilting my head.

He fidgets with the end of his sleeve. "Well...Francis stopped me in the hallway earlier today.." He says quietly.

I raise an eyebrow. "And what did he say?"

"He told me he missed me...He wanted to get back together, but I told him no." He says boldly. "I'm joining the army in a week, I'm not getting into a new relationship right before that!"

I smile at him, holding back my urge to frown. Yes, I know, it's been yet another month of me not telling him. He went through a bad breakup, and he's barely getting over it. Now he's leaving in a week. I don't think there'll ever be a good time honestly.

"Makes sense. I'm glad you're doing better." I say to him.

He chuckles. "I can't believe I spent time crying over him. Looking back at it, he was great and all but we were never meant for each other. I just made myself believe we were." He rambles. He tends to do that when talking about Francis.

"You're doing it again." I chuckle gently and he blushes.

"Oh shit, sorry.." He mumbles.

I shrug. "It's fine."

There's an awkward moment of silence before John stands up. "Anyway, um..I'm going to go hang out with Jefferson. He wants me to see this new scary movie or somethin'. See you later."

He waves and exits the room, followed my Lafayette entering immediately. I tilt my head at him. "What are you doing here?"

He closes the door and crosses his arms. "Wondering why he's going to a movie with Jefferson and not you."

I roll my eyes. "We've talked about this, it's not a-"

"Good time, I know. You've said it a million times." He sighs and sits across from me. "You know he's leaving in a week, it's never going to be a good time."

I frown and nod. "I'm..I'm aware. I'm just scared. He says he doesn't want to get into another relationship." I admit.

Laf nods slowly before smiling. "I have an idea." He says before standing up. "Where's the pen you use to write to him?"

I raise an eyebrow but grab it from my nightstand. I hand it to him. "What are you going to do with it?"

"Shush, let me do this." He says before rolling up my hoodie sleeve. He writes something on the back of my forearm and smiles at his work. "There, now he's going to find out eventually."

I look at it to see "I ♡ U" written in big green letters. I raise an eyebrow at Laf. "Why would you write that?"

He shrugs. "I'm just trying to tell the truth. Besides, John will see it, and then when you take off your hoodie or something, he'll see it on you and find out."

I shake my head. "I rarely take off my hoodie."

"Well...Then give it to me." He says, holding his arms out.

"I'm sorry?"

"Give me your hoodie. You're grounded from it until John finds out." He says sternly.

I scoff. "Yeah, that's not happening. You can't force me to-"

"Alexander Hamilton if you don't give me your hoodie right the second I will tackle it off of you." He says a little louder.

I hesitate but sigh and pull my hoodie off. I hand it to him grumpily and he smiles at me. "Don't worry, mon ami, it's just until John finds out. Then you can have it back."

I stare at my arm silently. So many thoughts were going through my head. What if he saw it and freaked out because it was too soon? I mean, sure I do love him, but he doesn't even know it's me.

Or what if it just makes him feel awkward? He just got done telling me he was done with relationships and then he's going to find out I'm his soulmate? It doesn't seem like it will go over well.

"What...What do you think he'll say?" I ask Lafayette.

He smiles and sits down next to me. "Don't worry, you guys are quite literally meant to be together."

My phone dings and I look to see a text message from John.

5:42 pm

John💚 OMG MY SOULMATE JUST WROTE SOMETHING ON MY ARM

John 💚 I'M COMING BACK TO SHOW YOU, IT'S BIG!

Laf peeks over my shoulder and chuckles. "I guess that's my cue to leave. Good luck Alex." He says, patting my back before standing up.

I smile up at him. "Thanks, Laf."

"Anytime, little bro."

I cringe but let him get away with it, since he did help me. He smiles brightly and waves as he leaves, seeming excited I didn't tell him to stop calling me that.

I take a deep breath before looking at the door, waiting for John to come in.

1129 Words