Chapter 36

--- Aither's POV ---

Fox exhaled shakily, "Okay, okay. Yeah. You're right."

I smiled at them. "Good, you've stopped being dumb."

They laughed sadly. "Yeah..."

"But what are you going to do?"

Our turn was almost over. Soon Fox would be swept away again.

"I'll talk to Dion." They said resolutely.

"Okay, but will we be able to see you after?" I asked quickly.

"We?" They repeated, puzzled. "Who else is with you?"

"Raiden and Xander."

Fox shook their head in disbelief, but they didn't have time to ask anything. We switched partners, and they disappeared behind a tall guy with peach coattails.

I cursed, I didn't have time to ask Fox about Preston.

Luckily, the song was almost over. As soon as it finished, everyone let go of their partner and took a second to breath.

Demons chatted amicably, and I looked around, confused.

"What's going on?" I muttered.

Dia appeared at my side. "Great job, you made it."

I jumped. "Don't sneak up on my like that!"

"Whatever. Soon, you'll have a chance to get Fox by herself."

"What? We already-"

"Hush. Today's Fox's 17th birthday. The second half of the ball is about to start. Don't be afraid, but you may feel some magic."

"What do you mean?"

"If you feel the magic, don't fight it. Okay?" She winked at me.

"Alright."

She nodded and pivoted on her heel. "Let's hope this goes well."

--- Xander's POV ---

Everyone milled around aimlessly. On a raised platform, the king emerged, raising his hands for quiet.

"I am glad you all enjoyed the ball," he said in his deep voice. "Thank you for coming."

I rubbed the back of my neck. It's over?

Some people left, trailing out the doors, but most stayed. Glancing around, I noticed that after those people had gone, the guards had left as well.

A sense of unease crept up. Dion appeared on the platform, standing next to the king. He smiled, and muttered something to himself. The lights flickered.

The demons around me stirred and mumbled something as well. All at once, I could feel magic around me, popping and sparking. The lights went out and the room fell into darkness.

It was silent.

Then, the lights came back on, but not as bright, more like the lighting you'd see in a nightclub.

It certainly felt like a nightclub.

The room had an entirely different feel than before.

Instead of the old-fashioned clothing from before, everywhere I looked there were outfits that belonged on strippers.

Looking down at myself, I realised I was dressed the same. My stylish suit had been replaced by a sleeveless fishnet top, and tight leather pants.

All kinds of exotic clothing was seen, even costumes.