Chapter 3

--- Fox's POV ---

A boy with pitch black hair stepped into the office. His head was lowered, so I couldn't see his face. He looked tall, taller than I was. His short sleeved shirt fit him perfectly. His clothes hugged his figure, showing off every line and curve of his body.

"Xander! Where have you been?" Mr. Zinski hollered.

Xander?

The boy crossed his arms, causing his muscles to ripple. I brushed a hand over my cheek, masking the fact that I was wiping drool off my face.

He lifted his head and his different colored eyes pierced straight through me. I bit my lip at his sharp gaze, feeling a weird knot in my stomach.

He smirked, "Sorry, I got lost." He was still making eye contact, and I tilted my head playfully.

"...That's alright, just make sure it doesn't happen again." Mr. Zinski shuffled some papers on his desk then stood up. "Fox, meet Xander. You'll be monitoring him."

"Monitoring him?" I echoed.

"Yes. You see, there were some... incidents... at his old school."

What incident could he have caused when it's only November?!

"So, he was transferred here. You will be watching over him, and making sure he stays on track. I know how much of a good student you are, always willing to learn."

Xander chuckled and mouthed, Nerd. I stuck my tongue out at him.

"-So you two will be great friends, I assume?" Mr. Zinski finished, and I blinked.

"I think we'll be more than friends." I said, shrugging casually. Xander agreed. Mr. Zinski beamed.

"Xander, stay behind, I have something to tell you."

I glanced at Xander over my shoulder as I left, shutting the door behind me carefully. Taking a seat in one of the hard chairs, I smiled brightly at the secretary.

"Dear, would you like a lollipop?" I assumed she was the one who had called me over the PA system. She sounded there were several years worth of dust coating her throat.

I nodded. As long as the flavor isn't cherry, I would love something to suck on.

I plucked a lollipop from the plastic bag she held out to me. I examined it carefully, before choosing a green one.

I had just taken off the wrapper when Xander came out of the principal's office. He didn't look very happy, and didn't wait for me as he stalked out of the room. I stuck the lollipop in my mouth and threw away the wrapper.

I waved goodbye to the secretary and hurried after him. "Xander! Why didn't you wait for me?" I frowned.

He glanced back at me but barely slowed down. "Sorry," he muttered. I noticed the paper clutched in his fist. I squinted at it, trying to read what was written, but quickly gave up.

I peeled his clenched fingers off it. He flinched when I touched him, but I ignored it.

It was wrinkled, but I could see that it was his schedule. "What's wrong?"

He huffed, "One of my friends goes to this school, but we're not in any of the same classes."

I stopped in the middle of the hallway, causing Xander to stop with me. "Huh. Well, I think we have all classes together."

"No way." He looked over my shoulder. "You have all honors too?"

"Yeah. Funny, I didn't take you first the smart type."