Chapter 32

--- Xander's POV ---

We hid behind a big crate. Aither was on lookout.

"I don't see them," he said worriedly.

Before I could say anything, a pulse of energy ran through me. I could tell Raiden and Aither felt it as well.

It must be from the portal opening.

"They're here," I whispered.

I heard Fox's voice, "Here's a map. I circled areas that could be good to live in."

Aither filled us in on what was happening. "The twins are on either side of Fox. Preston is there too."

"That bastard?" I growled.

Raiden clamped a hand over my mouth, silencing me.

The sound of boots clicking on cement grew louder. Someone was coming.

We scrambled to squeeze ourselves further into the shadows behind the crate. I peeled Raiden's sweaty hand off my face.

The person stopped.

"Is there a problem?" Dia called.

Dion answered, "It's nothing." He walked away from our hiding spot, but not before shooting us a warning glance.

"Time to go," Preston said.

"B-but we just got here," Fox stuttered.

"We don't have time for this. You have a class on etiquette in five minutes. We had a deal," Dia said stiffly.

"You're no fun anymore," Fox muttered.

They're about to leave!

I tried to leap out from behind the crate, but my legs got tangled with Aither's, and I fell.

A ripple of magic hit me. I scrambled up off the ground, but it was too late.

They were gone.

"They knew we were here. We messed up."

I punched the side of the crate in frustration, but all that did was make my hand hurt.

"There's no way they'll let him come back now."

I failed.

It was our only chance to see Fox, and I didn't even get a glimpse of him.

"They might be back next week." Raiden comforted. "Dion didn't tell them we were here."

"No, they won't. It was a warning. To stay away. Who knows what they'll do to us if we get caught again."

"Yeah, Dia nearly killed us the first time we met," Aither rubbed the back of his neck.

"Okay, your little set-up failed," Vladimir pulled Raiden into the open. "Now leave."

"Fine, fine. We were just about to go anyway." Aither glared at him.

"Good."

--- After going back to Aither's apartment ---

"What do we do now? That was a dead end." I cradled my head in my hands.

"We'll figure something out." Aither said resolutely.

"And until then?"

"Just... Try our best to be normal humans. Maybe investigate to see if there are any more demons around?"

I slung my back over my shoulder and walked to the door. I looked back, seeing Raiden give me a sad smile. I nodded back, and left.

I shuffled down the hall to my apartment. My head was strangely empty.