Chapter 23

--- Xander's POV ---

I knew something was wrong the second he stepped in the room. The prince was walking stiffly, like every step hurt. He avoided eye contact with everyone, opting to look down at his shoes instead.

He sat next to me gingerly, wincing. "Hey."

"What's wrong?" I asked, getting straight to the point.

He opened his mouth to respond, but was cut off by a loud voice.

"I have an announcement to make," the king declared. "My little princess-"

At these words, Fox glowered down at his lap, embarrassed.

"-has successfully completed both challenges in the first day of her trial."

The demons congratulated him, giving toasts and compliments. The sound in the hall rose to a deafening level.

After breakfast, Fox hustled us out of the room.

"Where are we going?" I looked behind me. There were about half a dozen guards following us, instead of the usual two that seemed to always accompany the prince.

"You don't remember? I told you we were going on a tour of the kingdom today." Fox said in their usual joyful tone, but I saw his face twist in pain for a second.

"Are you sure you're up to it?"

He shot me a look over his shoulder, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean, are you hurt or something?"

Raiden scrunched up his eyebrows. He probably hadn't noticed.

Fox didn't answer.

A carriage was waiting, and we got in, the guards were going to ride behind us. I wanted to ride on a horse as well, but Fox told me it was harder than it looked.

"I wanted to show you guys around because you're leaving in three days, right?"

Aither nodded, "We have school, and I'm sure Raiden's family is worried."

Raiden agreed.

"You two act like some old married couple." Fox stated, crossing his legs at the ankles.

Since we had arrived, Fox had taken every opportunity to wear shorts, showing off his thighs. I didn't really mind.

We arrived at our first stop, an official looking building. Our party attracted some attention, mostly because their prince was there. I would have liked to think the attention was also because of my looks, but I didn't want to make my head any bigger than it already was.

We went inside the building, the cool air bringing out pleased sighs. I looked around, seeing a line, and counters. I was starting to get used to seeing demons everywhere.

"What is this place?" I asked.

"Um, well, I forgot to tell you something."

I whipped my head around, "What did you do?"

"Nothing, nothing!" He grinned sheepishly. "But one quick question, are you all okay with getting a tattoo?"

Raiden had to grab Aither, and I had to peel his hands off of Fox's throat. It was only when I motioned to the alarmed guards that Aither finally calmed down.

Fox chuckled, "It won't be that bad, don't worry."

"I don't want a tattoo! My parents will kill me! " Aither screeched.

Fox only seemed more entertained at Aither's misery. "Everyone's looking at you," he teased.

Aither turned around, but everyone averted their eyes. Fox giggled, earning a heated glare.