Chapter 33

--- Xander's POV ---

March, it definitely came in like a lion. Despite there being no snow all winter, March wanted to be the odd one out. It snowed almost every other day.

Still couldn't build a snowman, though.

In April, the magic of spring was scared away by the few remaining lumps of dirty snow littering the ground.

I was feeling pretty good, the end of the school year was around the corner.

One problem though.

We still didn't have any ideas on how to get to the underworld. Fox hadn't shown up at the werewolves' warehouse again, instead the twins coming by themselves.

That time, we didn't go there in person. We didn't want Dion to catch us again. We visited the werewolves the day after.

I was starting to lose hope.

The beginning of May was filled with last minute homework projects. I cruised through the days, tuning out anyone I didn't give a damn about.

Which was pretty much everyone.

I took a couple trips to the principal's office. I got in another fight, turning back to my old habits.

"I'm disappointed in you, Xander. You were doing so well."

I didn't respond.

"It was only a matter of time, I suppose," the principal said, with disgust in his eyes. "Now, go to your next class, the bell's about to ring."

I took my time, dragging my feet. The secretary saw me coming out of the office and took her jar of candies off the counter.

It was Friday, last class of the day. Then, I could go home, relax, and watch TV.

Is what I wished would happen.

On my way home, I got a call. It was an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Is this Xander?" I didn't recognize the voice. The person sounded out of breath and frantic.

"Yes, Xander Roman, at your service." I stopped for a red light. "Who is this?"

"I'm one of your mother's neighbors. Listen- there's a fire! Come quick, I don't think your mom is out of the building?"

It sounded fake, but I decided to check my mom's apartment just in case.

"Okay, I'll be there soon." I hung up. I didn't this there was an actual fire, but I sped up just in case.

Turns out I was right to go faster.

A blazing inferno roared where my mother's apartment used to be. Ash drifted from the sky, and black smoke billowed from every window of the building.

I parked my car and raced to the ambulances.

"Is my mother okay?" I asked.

"What's her name?" One of them took out a clipboard.

"Amelia Roman."

The lady checked her list. "No, no one by that name has come out."

I looked back toward the burning building. My eyes sought my mom's apartment window.

A tongue of flame erupted from it, and a woman's panicked screams grew louder.

"That's my mom!" I cried, and pointed to the window. "Please, someone help her!"

But the firefighters were too busy fighting the blaze. They were short on people already, as there was apparently another fire across town.

I had no choice. I charged into the building, with nothing but the thought of rescuing my mother in mind.

Everything was covered in flames. I lifted my shirt to cover my face, thick smoke obscured my vision.

I ran up the stairs, the elevator was a fiery death trap. Fire licked at my toes.

"Mom!" I screamed. "Where are you?"

I covered my hand with a sleeve and tried the doorknob, but it was locked.

I angrily rammed my shoulder into the wooden door, but it didn't break. I looked around for something to smash it with, and found a fire extinguisher.

I grabbed it, dancing around the fire. I hammered at the door, praying it would break.

With a crack, I made a hole big enough for my head. Splinters narrowly missed my face. With a couple more hits, I squeezed through the gap.

"Mom? You in here?" I sprayed a path through the blaze with the foam from the extinguisher. I didn't recognize the apartment from underneath the flames.

I coughed, "Mom!" My voice was getting weaker. I noticed smoke trailing from my pant leg and quickly patted out the fire consuming my clothing.

I took another step forward, the squishy carpet making me pause.

Squishy?

I looked down, a body laying on the floor. I had stepped on a hand. I rolled it over, my mother's sooty face making me gasp.

I picked her up, carrying her over my shoulder. A new sense of urgency hastened my steps. I cleared a way through the fire, making it to the stairs before I ran out of foam.

Plaster rained from the sky, and the ceiling broke. I jumped out of the way, almost getting crushed by a burning sofa.

My mom didn't stir, and I wasn't sure she was breathing. She hung limp over my shoulder.

"Hang on, we're almost there," I told her.

I took the stairs three at a time, jumping over fire. The doorway out of the apartment was blocked by fallen beams, and before I could turn around and try to get to the fire escape through one of the upstairs windows, the stairs behind me collapsed with a loud crash.

I could hear the firefighters shouting outside, but they weren't going to get here in time. It was getting harder and harder to breath, sweat pouring from my forehead. I wiped it away with a sleeve.

I shifted mom to the other shoulder. If felt like I was inhaling pure ash. My lungs itched.

I didn't know what to do.

I coughed, waving smoke away. My hands stung, so badly I thought they were on fire.

I could smell burning flesh. It smelled like the barbeque I went to last month.

The pain in my hands grew stronger, and a flurry of sparks flew past my face as the building collapsed on top of me.