Chapter 19

--- Fox's POV ---

Xander, Aither, and Raiden left, and I was alone. Xander had asked to take a book with him, and I had told him he could take any book he wanted. I've read all of them anyway.

But I wonder which book he had taken...

I had seen him put back the book I had told him about, my favorite one. But he could've picked it back up.

I played with the tip of one of my tails. I really was nervous for the trial. My dad had taken it when he turned 16, and he had passed with flying colors. I had asked him about the challenges he had to complete, but he said he would tell me after I completed my trial.

I bit my lip, squeezing my eyes shut. A quiet whimper escaped my mouth and I curled up into a ball on the couch. I swept my tails over me like a fuzzy blanket, and tried to take a nap.

I spent the rest of the day in a daze, not able to rest but mentally exhausted. A maid had dropped off a bunch of clothes that were fitted exactly for my body. My brother had stopped by as well, and I was happy to see him. He cheered me up, but when he was gone my mood dropped again.

I managed to get some sleep during the night. When I woke up, I was immediately on alert.

I completed my morning routine, brushing my teeth and taking a hot shower. I opened my closet, having put away my new outfits as soon as they arrived.

I put on a pair of jean shorts and a short sleeved shirt. Opening the window had told me it was considerably warmer than yesterday. The castle had amazing air conditioning, so it wasn't too bad inside. I had hidden my tails and ears, because it was too hot for fur.

I pulled on my shoes, checking the clock. I had woken up a little late. It was 9 o'clock, almost time to go to the dining hall for breakfast.

I left my room. My guards lead to the dining hall, and I entered to the cheers of the nobles who were staying at the castle.

I took my assigned place next to Dad, greeting him with a smile. Elliot waved at me and I laughed. We were served breakfast and I dug in, having gained a healthy appetite.

Xander, Raiden, and Aither arrived, escorted by a maid. I stared at her, feeling like I had seen her somewhere before. But the feeling fled before I could try to remember.

My friends asked if the trial had started yet. I told them it had, I just hadn't gotten my first challenge.

Breakfast finished, and groups of demons trailed out the door, heading to various activities or back to their rooms.

As I got out of my seat to leave, the sight of my personal guards triggered a thought.

I turned to my friends, "Do you have anything to do today?"

They shook their heads, and I clapped excitedly. "Then how about we try swordfighting?"

Aither shook his head incredulously and I laughed. I asked my guards if we could see their captain, and they agreed to show us the way to the barracks.

"I think I'll be the best with a sword," Raiden bragged, making a slashing motion with his arm.

Aither laughed, "Are you sure you'll even be able to lift one?"

"I can lift you!"

They bickered, and we exited the castle to arrive at an empty field. We had left our guards inside the castle. There were soldiers going through training exercises, steel swords flashing in the sunlight.

There was an hour till noon, and the sun was beating down on the soldiers' shoulders. They didn't have any armor on, but I didn't doubt that their swords had some kind of blunting spell on them.