Chapter 16

A/N - Uh, fair warning... I don't really know the structure of castles, but I did a little research. I don't know much about titles, either... If I'm incorrect, don't hesitate to put a comment. 😁

--- Fox's POV ---

The gates opened slowly, revealing the expansive lawn before us. The castle loomed ahead, its black spires twisting into the darkening sky. It was the largest building in the kingdom, of course.

As I drank in the familiar sight of my home, my friends shrieked at the massive stronghold. I laughed, seeing the wonder sparkling in their eyes.

The carriage slowed to a stop just before the gatehouse. We got out, and Dion tipped the driver. As I looked up at the castle, Dia talked to the guards.

"And who're these folks?" The guard gestured to us. Dia nodded to me and I sighed.

I let my hair down from my ponytail, hair flowing down my back. Next came my ears, I ran my hands over my crown, feeling my ears poke from my head. My lower back tingled, and all nine tails appeared, sweeping the ground. I had made sure to heal my wound during the werewolves' celebration.

I let off a soft glow in the dark, raw power emanating from my body. Subtle waves of magic rippled through the air.

The guard's jaw dropped, looking me up and down.

He kneeled, apologizing. I walked over and put a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm back," I whispered. I pressed my lips to his temple, enjoying the shiver that went down his spine.

Standing up, he ran to open the gate. My friends rushed up to me.

"This is where you live?"

"Yeah... I haven't been here in years though." The gate opened, and a group of guards came to escort us the rest of the way to the castle.

Our procession did not go unnoticed, many heads appeared from the windows of the castle, spreading the news of my return.

The doors to the castle swung open, and we made our through the stone corridors. My friends ran around excitedly, and I made no move to stop them. We didn't see anyone in the hallways, only other guards, who gawked as I passed by.

After all, it was night. I had been up all day, fighting werewolves and spilling secrets.

The guards brought us to the throne room and I exhaled, trying to smooth down my shirt. My friends noticed my attempts to make myself presentable, and their joy faded to nervousness.

"Are you ready?" Dion asked. I nodded, steeling myself. The twins each took a door and pulled. The inside of the throne room was as brightly lit as the hallways, ghostly lights flickering near the room's high ceiling.

One floated down to escort us farther into the room. It hovered just behind my shoulder, spectral flames giving out only light.

At the other side of the room, on a dais, were two thrones. One was bigger than the other, and in it was the king, with an elegant, jewel encrusted crown seated atop his head.

He looked to be in his early thirties, fingers gripping the arms of the throne. He had black, curly hair and a short beard. He wore a gray sweater and trousers. His eyes were sky blue.

He wasn't dressed fancily, as was the custom. Sure, there was certainly a medieval theme to the underworld, but there were few times when we actually wore medieval clothing. The clothes we wore were closer to the ones humans wore in their modern world.

I led the way, Dia and Dion behind me, and Xander, Aither, and Raiden behind them. I bowed before the king.

"Hello, Father." Lifting my head, I saw my dad open his arms. A smile split my face, and I leapt up the stairs. We hugged, and I felt his beard scratch the top of my head.