He had no merit to gain from someone like me except for having me as his dog. And I was forced to include that in our contract since that was the only thing that I could offer to him in exchange. It was in fact a miracle that he accepted those conditions.

Hence, I still had a collar attached on my neck.

There was nothing else I could do about it but endure until the day of my parting to this Household. However, I believed that this would pass very quickly.

Furthermore, I wished to enjoy the so-called life of luxury to the fullest. To be honest, that was my secondary objective in that agreement.

Thinking about that made me brighten up a little despite the situation.

"You better be thankful that His Imperial Majesty let this pass.", the conversation continued.

"Know that there's no next time."

Wow. I can feel the chills running from this damned old man.

Before I knew it, I began mocking the Duke after receiving his cold gaze. Somehow, the nervousness melted away for no reason.

"I'll keep that in mind.", I replied with a fake smile.

"You better do.", he muttered, then made his way to the door.

I stuck out my tongue and made a stupid face on his back. Then when I noticed him turning his head back while opening the door, I immediately wore a poker face.

"Remember your words.", he lastly reminded me.

After that, he left the scene with the door being shut properly.

"Sh*thead.", I whispered.

This feeling..... I wonder what is this called...?

Somehow, though it might sound childish of me, I kind of wanted to act as if I was in my rebellious phase and play with him.

No- I better stop having such thoughts.

Playing along with that idea would simply make things a lot more troublesome. I didn't want to keep the situation unstable.

"Come to think of it... the Duchess-"

When will she come back?

It has been a while since she left the Shevaria Territory. Maybe it was because she was a close friend of mine that I came to yearn for her presence.

"How strange.", I murmured.

Thinking it back now, Duchess Fleurette was supposed to be my stepmother if I was really one of Lady Evangeline's children.

If I was a child with a naive way of thinking, I must've considered her as a natural enemy. Honestly, I'm glad I wasn't that stupid when I was told of the truth about my family relations.

I cannot compromise that I wouldn't resent her since I am still doubtful whether the method she used to have Lucian in her womb was true or false. But for now, I choose to believe what's in front of me.

For now, I will believe that she's not a bad person at least. Furthermore, there's that case that she just got married to the Duke because it was an arranged marriage.

It's just that... I can't put my trust on her that yet. After all, who knows if the moment where she would try to kill me again would arrive in this life.

Wait. From the start, why did the Duchess try to kill me...?

She wouldn't have gained anything from murdering me that time. Also, why did she even do it in such a bold and eye-catching way?

The Duchess wasn't an unwise person. She could've easily planned something to murder me using a method that wouldn't make her look like the perpetrator at all cost.

And... the expression she showed me that time.......

Was it on purpose...? But, why? What would that do for her?

The happenings that occurred between us back then became a very intriguing mystery.

Now that I've mentioned it, I was never informed of what happened to the Duchess after that incident. In the end, was she sent to prison??

Another unanswerable question has been added. At the beginning, I haven't had any proper thought of that occurrence since every time I recalled it, I felt restless. It was the first time that I got myself into the verge of death after all.

I want to know the answers.

Who knew that this would eventually make me realize.......

That danger has been residing me, all this time.