Part 75

It's been four days here in Mumbai. I've been traveling from home to the hospital and back home. The past four days felt like just one long day that never seems to get over. That is because Salman's health has been deteriorating rapidly. He looks even more skinnier than he did the first night I saw him. He seems to be made of only bones and not flesh. As every day passes, it becomes harder and harder to look at him, Aunty and Nora.

But at the same time, Salman seems to be having the time of his life. He is always smiling and seems least worried or tensed. Every time I see him smile or laugh, I feel as if everything is gonna be alright. It's all going to be fine. But when I see the looks on Nora and Aunty, reality slams me back on the ground. They smile every time he smiles, but their eyes say something else.

"What are you looking at?" I ask Salman, when I notice him staring at me for quiet a while now.

"Just clicking a mental picture. Or rather, taking a video of the most beautiful girl I've ever met." He says with a smile, his voice weak.

"Oh really? Well, there's no need for that cause I'm not leaving you this easily." I stick my tongue out teasing him.

"Would you not have left me?" He asks me seriously.

"Never. The thought wouldn't have even crossed my mind." I smile.

He sighs, "I wish things would happen differently."

"Okay, let's just pretend that this..." I move my hands up and down over his body, referring to his condition, "...did not happen. Then what would you have done?"

"Well, at first I would have completed the tour. Heard it was amazing." He smiles and I nod my head in response. No need for me to tell him what actually happened.

"Then, maybe would come back here and look for a decent job."

"Okay."

"And once I'm settled, I would ask you to marry me." He says and my heart skips a beat.

Marry him.... Oh my.

"You would really marry me?" I ask in surprise.

"Actually...." He hesitates as I see a little pink colour staining his pale cheeks, "I've always thought about how it would be like? I've always imagined and made up scenarios in my head." He smiles widely. I feel my cheeks heat up.

"What kind of scenarios?"

"You know, the cliché kind. Where I come from work and there's this amazing variety of mouth watering dishes on the table made by you. Where you come home tired and take off your heels, I'd massage them till you dose off to sleep. So you know, such scenarios."

"Wow, I mean, I never knew."

"Well, I didn't want you to run for the hills." He chuckles.

"I wouldn't have." I say.

Would I have agreed to marry Salman, if the situation was different? In an alternate reality where we would still have been a couple? Where I would have had zero feelings for Harry?

"Kids too." Salman says softly and I let out a sound between a cough and gasp.

Salman laughs, "See, that's why I didn't tell you."

"Kids? You thought that far?" I gape at him.

"Well, if I thought till marriage, I would obviously think of kids too." He shrugs.