Part 35

We are currently in Chicago and show is tomorrow. Everyone is getting into the tensed mode. This time we were a bit more organized. All our songs have been choreographed perfectly. I took Varun's advice and am trying to live in the 'now'. I haven't forgotten Salman nor have I moved on, but I am trying. I avoid thinking about him as much as I can, cause if I don't, my dumb anxious brain is gonna take me back to the past. Everyone has been treating me like a damaged glass showpiece, which might break anytime, if not taken care of. They're being extremely kind, which is a bit weird, but I appreciate the effort. It shows how much they care for me.

Right now, I'm sitting on my bed, with Harry Potter and the Chamber of secrets. No matter how many times I read them, I'll still want to read them again. It's ten in the night and I am really very tired. My eyes are closing automatically, but I want to finish this chapter. If Aliya were in the room, she would be watching TV with high volume and I wouldn't be able to sleep. But thankfully, we aren't sharing rooms in this hotel; Karan booked a room for everyone.

Just as I was about to turn the last page of the chapter, there's a knock on my door. Wondering who it would be, I get off my bed and walk towards the door.

"Who is it?" I shout. There's no peep hole that I can look through, I can't just open the door like that.

"Guess who?" answers the person, on the other side of the door and I immediately recognize the voice.

"Pops!" I exclaim, as I open the door wide and hug my dear father.

"I missed you so much, Pops!" I hold him tight, tears of joy start streaming down my face.

"I missed you too Kiddo!" he lets me go and holds me at arm's length, looking at me from head to toe with a smile on his face. He takes his hand and wipes off the tears of my face with his thumb. I know it's only been a month and a half, but I've missed him a lot.

"No crying Kiddo." he says softly.

"Come in Dad!" I smile as take his hand and drag him in. He chuckles as I make him sit on the sofa in the living room and I sit crisscross on the sofa next to him, facing him.

"How are you, dad?" I ask him.

"I'm good. But I'm here for you. How have you been?" he looks into my eyes, looking for some answers.

"I'm good, dad. I'm fine." I lie, as I avert my eyes.

"You're a horrible liar, you know." he smiles.

"I know."

"So tell me, what happened. Why did he leave?"

"Dad, just let it go. I'm over it."

"Are you? Look at you. You're not my Aditi."

I can't tell him what happened. I don't want my dad to get involved in this. Whatever it is, I can deal it by myself. And plus I don't want to burden him with my worries. I'm an adult now and I should be able to handle it all, all alone.

"Dad, please. I'm fine. I'm seriously over it." I lie again. No, I'm not over it. I don't know if I ever will be.

"Aditi, I'm your father and I know when you're fine and when you're not. I know when you're lying; you can't hide your sadness from me. But if you don't want to share it with me, then I understand."

"Dad, I ...." he cut me off.

"You need to know this Aditi, for me, you'll always be my baby girl and that I'll always be there for you." he smiles at me as he leans in and plants a kiss on my forehead.

"I know dad, I know." I sigh heavily as I hug him and it feels warm and nice. I feel like I'm back at home. And somehow, it reminds me of Harry. I then put my head on his lap.

"You need to sleep, kiddo." he says as he slowly runs his hand through my hair and my eye lids immediately start feeling heavy and droop.

"Mmhmm." I hum in response as my eye lids start becoming heavier and I fall asleep.

"Aditi?" I hear a distant voice.

"Hmm." I respond.

"Aditi, babe."

I slowly open my eyes, trying to adjust to the sunlight and see Varun sitting on the floor with a smile on his face.

"Hey, sleepy head." he teases.

"Varun? What are you.....Where's dad?" I'm confused, wasn't dad here in my room last night or was I dreaming?

"Your dad is having breakfast and so should you. Come on! Get up! Karan wants to have a quick meeting before we all get busy with the show."

"Okay okay! I'm up!" I grunt. As I sit up on the sofa and stretch my arms, I hear a crack sound.

"Ouch! My neck!" My hands quickly go to the back of my neck where I could feel the twinging pain.

"That doesn't sound good." says Varun with a worried expression on his face. He gets up on his knees as he moves closer to examine my neck. He touches my neck with cold hand and I flinch in response.

"Sorry." he chuckles as he moves his hand.

"I'm sure it's gonna be fine, it's cause I slept on the damn sofa." I groan.

"Better have a shower with hot water, the pain will go away." he says softly.

I look up and see that we're really close. I can see his dark brown eyes that look so beautiful in the sunlight.

"Aditi." he exhales and I can feel his hot minty breath on my face which makes goosebumps rise on the back of my neck. Suddenly I can feel my stomach clenching as the butterflies take flight.

"I....I actually wanted to ask you something." he whispers, never breaking eye contact.

I nod my head in response.

"I know you still haven't gotten over....over him and that you still need time." he takes a deep breath and continues, "Would you like to have dinner with me today? It's okay if you say no, I'll understand. I mean, I'll respect your decision. And I promise, I won't let your decision affect our friendship. Aditi, I..."

But I cut him off, "Varun, I..."

"No, Aditi." he stands up suddenly, "This was stupid, I'm sorry I asked. I just really like you and you've been so upset recently. I thought maybe I could...never mind." he waves his hands and turns around.

But I stand up quickly and hold his hand. "Varun, no it isn't stupid. Please sit down." I pull him with me and make him sit on the sofa next to me. I take both his hands in mine and look up at him.

"I know you're trying to help me out with this. You're an amazing person, Varun. Really, an amazing friend." I don't know what to tell him, should I tell him yes? I still love Salman and a part of me is waiting for him to come back. But will he? How long do I have to wait for him? How long will I be living in the past? How long will I be miserable, pathetic, depressed? He left without giving me a proper reason, left me in the dark all alone, crushed my dreams. I can't let him ruin me and my possible future.

"Varun." I sigh deeply and look up at him, "Yes, I'll go out with you."