Chapter 46

Cole's POV

I pulled up in front of the very familiar house.

Half of me was reluctant to go in... I didn't know if she had forgiven me.

How was she going to react to me coming here?

"Wait a minute, here?" Malcolm asked as he finally recognized the house.

I sighed.

"Yeah". I said. "Let's go".

I pushed open the large oak door and stepped inside, memories of the past flooding my mind, consuming me with guilt.

When I finally got to her room, I rapped my knuckles on the door.

"I'm coming!" The very familiar voice said from inside.

"It's me". I said. I heard soft footsteps approaching the door.

A few seconds later, the door flung open.

Her pale blue siren eyes, her brown hair that was always packed in a long ponytail was now stopping right below her collar bone, her skin was  fragrant with almond oil the way it used to be, she seemed to have gained some weight. She looked better.

"Come in". She said.

"I'll wait outside". Malcolm whispered, patting my shoulder.

"What are you doing here?" She snapped.

"I know you're still mad at me but I really need your help". I said.

"That didn't answer my question". She said.

"I answered it. I need your help". I said.

"Oh, you want to use me again?" She said.

"No, Thana. I'm not the Cole you knew fifty years ago, okay? I had a lot going on and I just... I just thought I could let off some steam by... You know?" I said.

She scoffed.

"You thought playing with my feelings was a joke?" She asked.

"No, no, don't misquote me. I didn't think it was a joke. I know I shouldn't have led you on, I know I shouldn't have played with your feelings, I know I was wrong and... I apologise, okay?"

"You still find it difficult to say sorry? Well, you're still the same". She said.

"That's where you're wrong. I'm not the same." I said.

Not wanting to drag the argument further, she changed the subject of discussion.

"So what exactly do you need my help with?" She asked.

"My pet got kidnapped and... The only suspect is your dad". I told her.

As expected, she didn't look surprised.

"Wow! Well, I'm not surprised". She stated.

"I know". I mumbled.

"So what do you want me to do?" She asked.

"There are hints that he's hiding her somewhere in the mountains, we need to know where exactly he's hiding her and why..." I explained.

"I'll help you". She said.

I sighed in relief but I was a bit shocked. I was expecting her to make it difficult for me. After all, I deserved it. I put her through a lot.

"I'm not doing it for you. I'm doing it for her and... I know his reason for kidnapping her". She said.

At that statement, my curiosity was sparked. So she was already aware of Brittany  Maybe she wasn't as secluded as I thought she was. She seemed to know a lot more.