Chapter 55

Brittany's POV

It was already two weeks after Cole woke up. Still no action from Dexter.

We had already taken him to the high court for the first hearing, which didn't turn out so well so the judge decided on a second hearing, which was today.

Dexter didn't do anything during the first hearing. That only meant he knew we weren't going to be able to settle the case in just one hearing. He was probably going to carry out his plan today. This kept all of us on edge as we all sat nervously in the court room, waiting for the court precedings to start.

When it finally started, perspiration began to gather on my forehead as I never let my eyes leave Dexter, calculating his every move.

Dexter on the other hand, seemed calm and collected. This scared the shit out of me. Especially when I noticed that he was trying to suppress a smirk.

What was going on in that evil head of his?

Cole's dad was called out too. He didn't even hide the amusement on his face as he listened to all the allegations made against him.

I also didn't hide the glare that was directed towards Cole's dad. I still couldn't believe I was actually scared of him when I first saw him. Now all I wanted to do was bash his head.

I felt a strong pang of disappointment as the hearing ended with another postponement of judgement.

I didn't miss the look of satisfaction on Dexter's face, he didn't even try to hide it.

What game was he playing exactly?

What if he already bribed the judge or something?

I decided to tell Cole my thoughts later on.

We all left the court room with disappointment evident in our faces.

I made eye contact with Cole's dad before he was taken away to the dungeon. He just smirked at me.

What was that about?

~

I joined the others in Thana's room after a long shower.

I sat on Thana's bed, beside Rhea.

Apparently, I was the last to get there.

Judging by the look on everyone's faces, they probably felt just as confused and annoyed as I was.

I didn't waste time in telling them my mind.

"That judge has definitely been bribed!". I exclaimed. " This is the second time... I- I... What stupid game is he playing?!!"

I was so angry about the fact that we put in so much effort and nothing seemed to work.

"The motherfucker's always two steps ahead". Thana mumbled.

"Not this time though". Cole voiced out.

We all turned to look at him with questioning looks.

"I just spoke to Malcolm". He said.

Oh, right. Malcolm wasn't here.

"He's with the lawyer. They have a witness and one more evidence against Dexter and my huh... father. He refused to tell me, though. But he sounded pretty positive that we're going to win this". Cole said.

"What about Dexter's plan? We don't know what his plan is or when he's going to carry it out". Rhea said.

"Trying to find out all that is pointless. We just have to be ready for anything". Cole said.