You still proclaime your independence?

The mug slowly slid out of her hands and fell a good 4 feet before crashing to the floor.
She sank to her knees, eager to pick up the pieces, but gave a sharp cry as she cut herself with a sharp splinter.
- Damn it!-  Charlotte exclaimed.
- It is not proper for a young Lady to talk like that - said Mrs. Heywood, leaning forward and examining her daughter's hand - and even more so for a married Lady.  Nothing serious, just take a handkerchief.
- Thank you - said Charlotte, wrapping her handkerchief around her finger - I'm sorry, I'm just really worried.
- I  understand - said Mrs. Heywood - When I was married, I was so ill that my mother thought I would faint at the altar.
- But you didn't fall - Allison said - aunt Catherine wouldn't have missed that part of her story.
- Thank God no - laughing answered their mother - but intended, but then I saw your father. He looked at me so hard that I forgot everything else.
- Oh, mother!  - Charlotte exclaimed, and threw herself into her arms.
- You have nothing to fear - said Mrs. Heywood, patting her daughter's back - Sidney loves you.He doesn't take his eyes off you. So much like your father when he was young.
Charlotte looked affectionately at her mother, and then at Allison, who was sitting next to her.
- Thank you, Mother - she said almost in a whisper - I don't know how I would have managed without you.
- That's why I'm here now - said Mrs. Heywood, patting her daughter's hand - and then, you remember, the dishes are breaking fortunately, so that's a good sign.
The door opened softly and Phillip and Sunny appeared in the doorway.
- Phillip, why are you here? - Mrs. Heywood said gravely, frowning - Men don't belong here!
Charlotte and Allison looked at each other happily and looked at their mother, but she was adamant.
- Men don't belong here - Phillip repeated slowly, closing the door behind him and taking Sunny, clearly pleased to be called a man at last.
Charlotte and Allison giggled.
- Girls - said Mrs. Haywood, smiling - how grown-up you are, and I still can't believe that soon you will be married and your life will change forever.
She stood up and kissed her daughters on the forehead, resolutely wiping away the tears that ran down her cheeks.
- Enough talk - said Mrs. Haywood cheerfully - or we'll be late every where. Allison, let's help Charlotte get dressed. My God, where's the veil?

At last the packing was done, and Charlotte was ready. At the bottom of the stairs, she paused in the hall. Mrs. Heywood and Allison were already fussing about the carriage, and Charlotte was hesitating to leave the house.
- So, miss Heywood - said Lady Denham, as she drew level with Charlotte - I was right, and you are no longer fighting for your independence?
- Yes, lady Denham - Charlotte said, confused.
- You must promise me one thing - said Lady Denham, turning to Charlotte - it's very important.
- What is it, my Lady? - Charlotte asked anxiously.
- Whatever happens to you - the Lady said seriously - never forget who you are and where you come from. Always be yourself! You're a Heywood and you should be proud of it!
Charlotte felt tears welling up in her eyes. She listened with bated breath, afraid to miss a word.
- I approve of your choice - the Lady continued, " but Mr. Parker will have to work hard to be truly worthy of you. I wish you both happiness.
- Thank You, Lady Denham - Charlotte exclaimed, hugging the old woman affectionately.
Her support was so valuable. During her stay at Sanditon house, Charlotte had become so familiar with Her that she could no longer imagine her life without this grumpy Lady.
The bell rang, and Phillip and Allison ran into the hall to announce that the carriages were ready, and the Heywood couple were waiting for them.
Charlotte took a deep breath, feeling much better than she had a few minutes ago.
- Go on, miss Haywood - said Lady Denham, in her usual grumpy manner - don't keep the gentleman waiting. A real Lady should always be on top.
Charlotte smiled and walked confidently to the door, ready for any adventure. As she sat in the carriage, she looked back at Sanditon house, which had suddenly become a real home for Her, and gave her many pleasant memories.
- Go -  Mr. Haywood said, and the carriage moved slowly toward the Church.

He adjusted the buttonhole for the hundredth time and looked at his watch. It was a long time, and Sidney was beginning to worry. He looked around, trying to distract himself from the tedious wait. Sidney had to admit that Lady Worcester had done her best, and even the little Church of Sanditon had become a fine work of art in her hands. The aisles were decorated with beautiful white fresh flowers that hung beautifully from the arches and benches. The white ribbons and bows were intricately intertwined, giving the impression that you were not in a Church, but in some magical garden.
- Is it really your wedding day with Charlotte? - said Mary, gently taking Sydney's arm - I thought I would never see it, and you would be lost to us all forever.
Sidney looked at her and saw tears in her eyes.
- It's going to be all right, Mary - he said, smiling - I'm going to be the happiest person in the world today.
-  I'm so happy for you - she said - you both deserve happiness.
Sidney leaned over and put an arm around her shoulders.
- Momy! Momy! -Alicia exclaimed loudly - James is being naughty again, and he almost tore off all the flowers at the entrance! Where is Phillip, my brother listens only to him and you. Let's go quickly.
- I'm sorry - Mary said, and patted Sidney on the shoulder as she almost ran out of the Church.
Sidney resumed his long strides on the platform in front of the altar.
- Will you stop it already flickers - could not stand, intervened Crowe - you're making me dizzy. Why are you so nervous? We are under completely control of the situation.
- They've been gone too long - Sidney said, glancing at his watch again.
- You think she changed her mind? - Crowe asked, raising his eyebrows.
- I don't know... hell, no, I don't think so, I'm sure of Charlotte - Sidney exclaimed - but something could have happened. Besides, Eliza is still out there, and I don't know what else to expect from her.
- Oh, you don't have to worry about Mrs. Campion. My people keep an eye on her - said Crowe, beaming at him - Eliza is always in Hеrtfordshire, no one comes to see her, and even the postman seems to have forgotten the way to this house.
- Let her stay there - Babbington said - and it's high time you gentlemen put her out of your mind. It's a big day, Sidney!
- All the world is saying goodbye to bachelor Parker! - Сrowe said - the ladies at the boarding house will probably miss you.
Sidney gave his friend a warning look.
- I'm just kidding - Crowe said with a grin - you're just too tense.
- We'll see what you'll be like in a couple of months - Babbington said - when Mr. Heywood will leads Allison down the aisle of the Church.
- I surrender - Crowe agreed, holding up his open hands - I bow to your experience, o great Lord Babbington, leader of all married gentlemen.
Sidney and Babbington laughed at his joke.
- My God, Mr. Crowe, you can't help your jokes even here - said Esther, who had been walking calmly through the Church - you can be heard even on the street.
- I'm sorry to disturb your peace, my Lady - Crowe replied, bowing low.
- You're just not fixable - she said sarcastically, rolling her eyes.
Babbington smiled at their friendly exchange. Both Esther and Crowe were always pretty sharp-tongued. But Babbington didn't worry, knowing that their occasional encounters were also extremely enjoyable for both of them.
- We're here!" We're here! Charlotte is here! - the Parker children shouted as they burst through the Church door.
Mary spread her hands helplessly, unable to stop them.
Sidney swallowed hard and held his breath, staring at the wide-open doors where the bright sunlight was now pouring in, giving everything a rich, colorful glow.

She paused for a moment, gripping his arm tightly. He looked at her tenderly, and laid his hand gently on her arm, patting it tenderly.
- Worried? You are trembling - said Mr. Heywood.
- Yes, Papa - said Charlotte - a little.
He smiled and leaned down to kiss her forehead.
- You have always been a strong and brave girl, Charlotte - said Mr. Haywood sadly - but now you are grown up and must leave me forever to find your happiness and place in life.
- Oh, Papa - Charlotte exclaimed, fighting back tears.
- No, honey, don't cry - said father, gently patting her hand - all as it should be. You will create your own family and give a new life. I just want you to be happy.
- I know, Papa - Charlotte said almost in a whisper, kissing her father on the cheek - I know.
- Are you ready? - Mr. Heywood asked, pointing to the Church.
Charlotte nodded and squeezed his hand.

When Charlotte and Mr. Heywood entered, it seemed to Sidney that his heart was about to stop. Looking at her silhouette in the bright sunlight, he couldn't believe that this was really happening. Charlotte was beautiful in her white muslin dress, which showed off her figure perfectly. The weightless veil fell in light waves over her back and shoulders, as if wrapping her in a soft, airy cloud. Her dark hair was piled high with delicate white flowers, making her look clean and flawless. Sidney's breath caught in his throat, and he was afraid to close his eyes and lose this magical vision.
They walked down the aisle and Mr. Heywood handed Charlotte to Sidney. Her hands were cold with excitement and emotion. Sidney took her hands in his and looked into her beautiful eyes. Charlotte smiled at him, spreading warmth all over his body and giving him the confidence he needed. Sidney smiled back at her, fighting the urge to kiss her right there and then.
They exchanged glances again and turned to the altar, where the Reverend Hankins was waiting for them. Allison and Crowe took their places of honor as witnesses, while the guests waited for the moment of celebration. The silence was so deep that it seemed as if everyone present held their breath.
- Dearly beloved - the Reverend began - we are gathered here in the site of the God, and in the face of all the congregation, to join together Sidney William Parker and Charlotte Elizabeth Heywood in a Holy matromony...

All the words were spoken, the ceremony was performed, and a smiling Mr. and Mrs. Parker came out on the Church porch, amid loud cheers from family and friends, showered with rice and red and white rose petals.
Sidney pulled Charlotte to him and kissed her affectionately, much to the delight of everyone present.
One by one, the guests began to congratulate the newlyweds, giving them hugs and smiles, making Charlotte's heart beat faster. It seemed to her that there could not be so much joy in life at once. Mother and Allison were crying, Phillip was more manly and controlled as best he could, and she was afraid to look at Papa. Charlotte knew that a long separation from her would be an ordeal for him. Mary, dear Mary, could not help herself, lavishing the newlyweds with an endless stream of tears. Even the elder Parker felt the importance of this moment and warmly congratulated his brother and sister-in-law. He finally realized that without Sidney and Charlotte, his life would have been different, and perhaps would have been full of misery and hardship. Lady Worceter warmly congratulated them both, and did not fail to say a few words to Charlotte in private, which brought a generous flush to her cheeks.
The line of guests seemed endless. Everyone wanted to give the them a piece of warmth, wish them joy and good luck, because they really deserved it.
The wedding dinner went extremely well, the table and decorations were impeccable, and the jokes and General high spirits made it just unforgettable.
The time came when the newlyweds had to leave the guests. Sidney and Charlotte said their goodbyes and went to the waiting carriage that would take them to the Parker's family house.
As they passed Lady Denham, they stopped to Express their gratitude for her help and support.
- Remember what I told you a year ago? That we'll soon see you coming down the aisle - the old Lady said to Charlotte - I'm never wrong. As you can see, sometimes independence is not so important.
- Yes, when it's your own choice - said Charlotte.
- That's right - Lady Denham agreed - it's good that you understand this now. Go, Mrs. Parker, your husband has been waiting for. You shouldn't waste this evening on the old Lady's arguments.
Charlotte smiled and put her arm around her shoulders.
- Too much tenderness in one Day - the Lady grumbled - go already, go.
Charlotte nodded and took Sidney's arm. As she approached the carriage, she heard the old Lady's raspy voice again.
- Miss lamb is very pretty today, isn't she, Lord Broome? - she asked.
- No doubt, my Lady - Broome replied.
Charlotte and Sidney looked at each other and smiled knowingly. A moment later, their carriage started to move, amid loud cheers from the guests, and carried them to the place that would forever be their common home.

- My God, but how? How is this possible? -  Charlotte exclaimed.
She was completely entranced by what she was seeing. Since her first visit to the Parker's house, he had changed so much that no one would dare call it "old"now. It no longer looked lonely and abandoned. Now Charlotte saw the house she had dreamed of all her life.
Only a month had passed, but the garden seemed to sparkle with new colors, delighting her eyes and soul. At the back of it was a new carved arbor covered with bright green young ivy. And the house itself, shining with newness, was so warm and comfortable that Charlotte's legs gave way under her.
Sidney supported her, holding her close. Now, as a legitimate husband, he could do this without hesitation or fear for her reputation. Her closeness was so natural and yet so incredibly intoxicating that Sidney knew he was losing his head.
Now that there were no obstacles between them, it was harder and harder to control his feelings and desires.
- When did you do all this? -  Charlotte asked, putting her arm around his neck and tugging at the small curls at the back of his head.
- Do you really like our house? - he asked, trying to distract himself from her warm fingers caressing his neck. Charlotte couldn't imagine the effect her touch would have on her husband.
- Very much! I used to like the House very much еarlier, but now it's all the way I wanted it to be, didn't I tell you? I don't know how you did it.
- I can listen, Charlotte - Sidney said, almost in a whisper, and gently kissed her temple.
- And then my friends helped me - he continued, laying a trail of kisses down to her ear - tell me what Lady Worceter said after the wedding. You were so confused.
Sidney pulled back for a moment to look into her eyes. Charlotte flushed and immediately tried to hide them.
- You don't have to tell me if you don't want to - Sidney said, running his fingertips over her face.
- Nothing special - finally, said Charlotte, she always was extremely honest with Sidney and now not intended to changed this - she...Susan said it was time to put on that ... nightgown she gave me right before the wedding. No, don't think about it, I like it, it's very beautiful, comfortable, but... but almost transparent.
She blushed deeply and lowered her eyes. Sidney smiled as an incredibly bright and bold fantasy formed in his mind. His little girl did not yet realize the full extent of her power over him, but soon he would have the opportunity to correct this oversight.
- Let's go to the house-he said smiling in her ear - I must definitely see this wonderful gift...

#Sanditon #Sidlotte#Sanditonfanfiction