Don't doubt yourself

He looked with admiration at the decorated hall and the company gathered there. The multitude of ladies and gentlemen who conducted peaceful conversations, and the magic music that came from the music hall, filled him with utter delight, and spoke of the success of his cause.
- Splendid!, Splendid! - Tom kept saying - it's a success, Charlotte, a real success, the whole world is here at Sanditon. And this is truly your merit.
- No, no, Mr. Parker - she said, embarrassed - if it weren't for Lady Worcester...
-  Don't be shy, Charlotte - Mary said - We all know that lady Worcester is only helping us because of you. We are very grateful to both of you.
Charlotte was so moved by their words that tears were beginning to come to her eyes, but she managed to hold them back, smiling happily at Tom and Mary.
- Lady Denham - Tom said uneasily - I must greet her. Ladies, Mr. Crowe, I'm sorry, I'm going to have to leave you for a while.
Tom walked briskly to meet Lady Denham.
- Why you don't dance?  - asked Mary - it is  a such wonderful music. And where's Sydney? I haven't seen him in a long time.
- The evening had just begun - jokingly replied Crowe - I hope the young lady will not refuse me the honor to dance with them?
- With pleasure - said Charlotte, smiling.
- And you Miss Heywood? Will you give me a dance? - he asked, turning to Allison.
- Me?... yes... thank you, Mr. Crowe - Allison said, a little embarrassed.
Crowe smiled, pleased with her response.
- Where is Sidney, really? - Crowe said - I'd like to go dancing right now.
- The last time I saw him was with Mrs. Campion - Charlotte said faintly.
- But he's definitely not with her now - Mary said confidently.
- What makes you think that? -  Charlotte asked.
- Because she's here, alone, and goes straight to us - Mary answered, eyes pointing to the center of the room - I'm Afraid it could end badly.
- On the contrary, the fun is just beginning - Crowe said with a smile.
The ladies looked at him in disbelief, and Crowe only smiled back at them, his gaze lingering on Allison again longer than usual.

Mrs. Campion strode over to the group.
- Mrs. Campion - Crowe said, bowing.
- Mr. Crowe, Mrs. Parker - Eliza said, making a slight curtsey - Miss Heywood
- Mrs. Campion - said Charlotte, also dropping a curtsy.
- Mrs. Campion - Mary began - let me introduce you...
- I didn't expect to see you here again, Miss Heywood - Eliza interrupted.
- I would like to know why you have such an opinion? - Charlotte asked as calmly as possible.
Her face showed no emotion, but Allison could see that her sister was on the verge of a fight. Her upturned chin could tell quite a lot to someone who knew her.
- Because you have absolutely nothing to do here - Eliza said with a smile, drawing the attention of her entourage to the conversation with a flourish - unless you haven't read all the books in Lady Worcester's library yet.
Eliza's entourage laughed at her joke.
- I love to read - sharply answered Charlotte - not knew, that this can be attributed to shortcomings.
- Miss Heywood tries to charm men from high society, to successfully marry, but quite knows nothing about society - retorted Eliza, referring rather not to Charlotte, and to all present - the lady must be well educated, play musical instruments, dance and be the standard of femininity, some books are not enough.
- However, what could you expect from a country girl who never went out to a high society and went further than her farm and did not stick out her nose - with a grin, Eliza continued - what could you learn by helping your father to milk cows, and feed geese and chickens? I'm surprised you can read. Your poor father, with so many children and not a penny to spare, try to feed such a crowd. On the other hand, commoners are not used to it.
Eliza laughed, pleased with her own wit, celebrating her victory in advance. Mrs. Burke giggled, her laughter echoed by the gentlemen standing next to her. Mary turned pale and looked at Eliza in horror. Crowе frowned, not at all surprised by her words, knowing full well what kind of snake they were dealing with. He looked at Allison, expecting to see embarrassment or shame, but he saw her head held high and her chin lifted like an older sister's. Before him stood the real goddess of war. This young woman could not help admiring him even now.
Charlotte flushed, not with resentment, but with sudden rage. She wanted to grab Eliza and drag her around the room by the hair so that she wouldn't have to talk about her father and herself like that again. Charlotte restrained her impulses with an incredible effort of will. Lady Worcester's lessons were not lost on her.
- Mrs. Campion - she began calmly - to me...
- Excuse me - a voice was heard from behind Crowe - I'm sorry to interrupt you.
He stepped back to let Augusta pass.
- Excuse me again - said she - Lady Denham urgently wants you to approach her, Miss Heywood. I spend.
Charlotte turned to Mrs. Campion and gave her a look of hatred and contempt, wondering inwardly that she felt sorry for this terrible woman.
- Please excuse me - Charlotte said, addressing everyone in the room, and followed Augusta out of the room.
- Country girl - Eliza said with a grin, pursing her thin lips again.
- I'm sorry we didn't get introduced - Allison said firmly - but you're completely wrong about Mr. Heywood and Charlotte, Mrs. Campion.
- What? - she asked, glaring at Allison as if she had just seen her.
- Mr. Haywood is not a commoner, as you say, but a gentleman who has his own estate and tenants. Mrs. Haywood is a gentleman's daughter, too - said Allison - All their children have received and are receiving excellent education, and none of them disdains either physical or mental labor. None of you can convince me that helping your own parents can be shameful.
- J...  - Mrs. Campion began, but Allison cut her off.
- Charlotte Haywood is a gentleman's daughter who grew up in a small town, just as you were before you married and became a widow - Allison said - How do you differ from each other, except for the fortune you inherited after your husband's death? I will answer you. Nothing. Charlotte is your equal and can do whatever she wants here.
Eliza stared at the young, beautiful girl she didn't know who had answered her so boldly, and couldn't find the words to contradict her in any way.
- Excuse me - Allison said, and turned and left the room.
- Who the hell is this? - Mrs. Campion said indignantly to Crowe.
- That's Miss Allison Haywood - he said with a grin - I think the Heywood People are pretty tough nuts that you can't handle, Mrs. Campion.
- Another Heywood - Eliza said, her lips barely parting.
- Perhaps it is unexpected for you to meet a worthy opponent? - Crowe asked - it's much easier to push and humiliate the weak. The benefit of money is good for you in this.
- What do you mean, Mr. Crowe? - asked Eliza, genuinely not understanding what he was getting at.
- As far as I know you get a lot of income, successfully manipulating human weaknesses - said Crowe - I'm sure that you get incredible pleasure from it. They are so dependent on you, and you play with them like a cat with a mouse.
- I don't know what you're talking about - Eliza said.
Her face was as if turned to stone, her lips were set in a thin line, and her bright blue eyes flashed lightning.
I think you're lying, Mrs. Campion - he said calmly - We both know that I was referring to your secret parties, where guests are offered incredible treats for their own money, of course.
Eliza's breath caught in her throat, and she turned pale, and her temples began to pound, and the floor seemed to be slipping away from under her feet.
- I didn't know you were throwing parties, dear - said Mrs. Burke - it must be incredibly interesting, why didn't you ever tell me?
- But these are secret parties, madam -  Crowe said with a chuckle - who tells you about them, but believe me, their guests have an indescribable feeling, so strong that you can die of happiness, don't you, Mrs. Campion?
- How lovely - Mrs. Burke chirped.
- Oh, shut up already, Jane - in hearts has challenged she.
Mrs. Campion felt as if she had been cornered, and everyone was looking at her. The recent conversation had attracted the attention of outsiders, which at first pleased Eliza, who wanted to humiliate Charlotte in front of everyone present. Now the dozens of eyes that watched her intently filled her with indescribable horror.
Crow's words, so unexpected and ill-timed, unsettled Mrs. Campion. Eliza had always been very careful, and until that day she had been sure that no one would ever know what she was doing.
- Are you confused, Mr. Crowe - she said icily - I've never had any parties.
- Is it? - cynically asked Crowe - are you sure? Can we ask your brother? As far as I know, he was a regular at these meetings. Where is your brother now, Mrs. Campion? Where Is Charles Colins?
Time suddenly stopped for Eliza, it seemed to her that all the people in the hall were looking only at her, the circle around Her began to slowly shrink, her heart began to pound so fast that she could not breathe. The room began to revolve around Eliza, slowly at first, then faster and faster, not allowing her to recover and strike back.
- Do you have a brother, Eliza? - Mrs. Burke asked - you said you were an only child, didn't you? What is this gentleman talking about?
- Go to hell, all of you! - Eliza shouted angrily, then turned and walked briskly to the door.
Not twenty meters away, she suddenly collided with someone and dropped her fan on the floor.
- What a nuisance, Mrs. Campion - said Lady Worcester, lifting the fan and passing it on to the hostess - what's your hurry? You were running as if the devils were chasing you. Caught up with the shadows of the past?
Eliza opened her eyes wide and silently backed away from Susan, pushing past the indignant guests as she went.
Mrs. Campion darted out of the room, hoping to meet no one else she knew.
- Are you leaving now, Mrs. Campion? - she heard Lady Denham's raspy voice ask - our humble society has not satisfied your exacting taste?
- May you all be lost with your society and your Sanditon! - Eliza said - it would be better if he were all burned up, along with all of you!
Eliza, without waiting for the servant, opened the door herself and ran out, forgetting her hat and Cape.
- What happened to Mrs. Campion? -  Tom asked in surprise - she was always quite nice.
- Nice? -Lady Denham said with a grin- Mr. Parker, when will you be able to see beyond your nose?
- I don't know what you're talking about - Tom said honestly.
- Of course you do not understand - said the Lady - in your insight you can compete with a snail. No, she sees a lot more.
Tom stared at her, unable to make sense of her words.
- Oh, forget it, it's no use - said Lady Denham, waving her hand.
- Lady Worcester -Tom greeted Susan briskly as she came up to them.
- Lady Denham, Mr. Parker - said Susan, smiling - I see Mrs. Campion has decided to leave us.
- Good riddance - Lady Denham said with a grin - there will be one less snake.
Susan smiled at her, squinting slightly.
- I think it's time to officially open the ball - she said.
- It's time - agreed to the mistress of the house -- Mr. Parker!
He nodded happily and went into the main hall.

- Where is Lady Denham? - Charlotte asked, looking at Augusta blankly.
- She's not here - Sidney said calmly, stepping out of the open terrace door - Thank you, Augusta, I am now in your debt.
- All this is so exciting - smiling answered the young Lady - Mrs. Campion was so angry. But I have to go now, I promised Mr. Stringer the next dance, and my brother is always watching me.
She curtsied and went into the music room.
Sidney pulled Charlotte's arm, inviting her to the terrace. It was dark outside, but it was still warm. A gentle breeze ruffled Charlotte's curls and gave them both an explosion of freshness with the divine smell of freedom.
Sidney closed the glass door and led her deeper into the terrace.
- Aren't you cold? You are trembling... - he asked anxiously.
- It's not from the cold - she said quietly.
Sidney's heart sank, and it was incredibly painful to see Charlotte so crushed and devastated. He drew her to him and held her tightly in his arms. Charlotte, unwilling to resist, gave him a gentle hug in return. She didn't care about decorum now, and she needed his warmth and care.
- I'm sorry - he said - I'm the only one to blame for what happened.
Sidney released her and took her small, cold hands in his.
- She..she...a terrible woman - Charlotte said, looking up at Sidney - and I went with Augusta and left Allison alone.
- She wasn't alone - Sidney corrected - Crowe and Mary were there. I saw everything.
-Why did you ask Augusta? I don't understand - she asked.
- I knew she'd want to attack you - Sidney said with a sigh - and I had to get you out of the way, too bad I didn't make it in time. I couldn't have intervened myself, I'm sure she would have made the biggest scandal and ruined everyone's day, or worse, accused you of all your mortal sins. What did she say to you?
- Let's not talk about it - said Charlotte, looking down - there is not a drop of honor and dignity in this woman. And I... I left before I could answer her.
- Trust me, Crowe and Allison will perfectly cope with this task without you - confidently said Sydney - your sister is smart and straightforward, and no amount of modesty will prevent her from protecting you, and Crowe... he has his cards up his sleeve.
Charlotte looked at him carefully.
- How did you know that Mrs. Campion would want to hurt me? -  Charlotte asked.
- I gave her the money back and asked her to break the engagement - Sidney said - She has no choice, Charlotte, and sooner or later Mrs. Campion will have to do it. I have information that if I make it public, it will destroy her in the eyes of the society.
Charlotte stared at him in disbelief.
- You told her everything? she asked with a smile - I can't believe it, but where did you get the right amount?
- Lady Denham and Babbington - he said curtly - but I'm sure Lady Worcester was involved.
Charlotte smiled at him, knowing full well that Sidney was right.
- What do we do now? - she asked - we can't hide here forever.
- Miss Heywood, you would't like to be alone with me? - Sidney asked. with a grin - how could I not think of that? What an unfortunate omission.
- Sidney  - Charlotte said, laughing - I'm not joking right now. I'm completely serious. No one needs a scandal before the tournament.
- There won't be any scandal - Sidney said calmly - If I know Mr. Crowe well then Mrs. Campion will want to leave this house as soon as possible.
- What did you find out about her? - Charlotte asked in surprise.
- Promise, that I will tell you all  - with a sigh responded Sidney - but later, you don't want to know that yet.
Suddenly the music stopped and they heard Tom's voice announcing that the ball for the first joust at Sanditon was open. The elder Mr. Parker, with his usual elegance, invited everyone to dance.
- Will my fair Lady give me a dance?-   Sydney asked, offering her his hand.
Charlotte smiled involuntarily as she held out her hand.

#Sanditon #Sidlotte #Sanditonfanfiction