Anything can happen anywhere

A strong wind began to blow, causing the awning to shake so violently that her heart skipped a beat. A strange, unpleasant premonition settled over her like a blanket. She reached out a cold hand and touched Charlotte. She turned to her, smiling happily.
- Is something wrong, Allison? - Charlotte asked.
The excitement of the race had robbed her of the caution that was so characteristic of her younger sister. Being here with family and friends, Charlotte had almost forgotten about Howard and his people.
- I have a bad feeling about this - Allison said honestly.
- Don't worry, they can't do anything while we're here in plain sight - she said.
- Yes, you may be right - the younger Heywood agreed.
- I forgot to congratulate you and Crowe on your engagement - Georgiana said, trying to lighten the atmosphere - he's a very controversial man, but you can't tell your heart what to do or not to do.
- Georgiana! - Allison said reproachfully - Francis isn't as bad as you think he is. You just need to get to know each other better.
- I'm just kidding, Allison - Georgiana said, smiling and hugging Allison - you're just so tense.
Charlotte smiled as she listened to them. She knew that in Georgiana, she and Allison had another much-loved sister.
She felt a small warm hand drop into hers. Charlotte lowered her head and saw Alicia. She stroked her fair head and squeezed her hand tightly.
- Will you be rooting for dad, uncle Sidney, and uncle Arthur? - Charlotte asked.
- Of course - answered Alicia - and they will win, uncle Sidney and dad are the strongest.
- That's right - said Charlotte - they are the strongest and we will root for them.
Alicia nodded happily and gave her a sly look.
- I have a surprise for you - Alicia said.
- Yes? Which one? - Miss Heywood asked.
- A note - said Alicia, handing Charlotte a thickly worded letter - can I go to Henry and Phillip?
- Yes, of course, thank you, Alicia - Charlotte murmured, hastily opening the letter.
A small note was written on plain paper:
"Miss Heywood, we had some unexpected problems at the start. I really need your help right now. Tom Parker."
Tom's handwriting seemed strange to her, but perhaps it could be explained by haste. She had to help him.
After a quick glance at Allison and Georgiana, who were still talking to each other, Charlotte decided not to waste time and act on her own. Without a word to anyone, she ran to the starting point, taking a shortcut through the undergrowth.

Allison looked around, horrified to find that Charlotte was not there. Panic gripped her. Looking around randomly, she was lost in a whole sea of colors and human faces. Already losing hope, she managed to catch a glimpse of her beige hat and bright pink raincoat. Charlotte ran into the wood. Not remembering herself from terror, Allison ran behind her.

When she reached the middle of the road,
Charlotte heard the firing of the launch gun. She froze in place, realizing that the race had started without her participation. Was it necessary at the start? What really happened?
The sun sank behind a cloud, leaving her in the semi-darkness of the forest. Charlotte looked around and her heart went cold with horror. She suddenly realized that she was trapped. Charlotte had put herself in danger again, just as foolishly and absurdly as she had done in London. The only difference was that Sidney was no longer with her, he was in the race.
She turned abruptly to run back, but the man who had just spoken to James about the regatta appeared in front of her. She jerked and turned to run in the other direction, only to see Howard's servant, who had been in the carriage with Georgiana the previous time. They had her cornered. There was no point in shouting for help, no one would hear her in the noise and hubbub at the finish line. She was panting, not knowing what to do next.

The cold fear that had gripped her for a moment receded, allowing Charlotte to think of a plan of action. She knew she couldn't panic, because she would never be able to handle two grown, strong men on her own, so she had to improvise and stall for as long as possible.
- Gentlemen!  Is there something you want to tell me?  - she asked - Otherwise, I don't understand your burning desire to stop me.
Garling and Cooper grinned at each other.
- Cheeky little thing, isn't she, Garling? - Cooper said - no wonder the widow saw her as a rival. Hot girl. It's hard to resist.
- You talk too much - interrupted the sullen Garling.
- And you're always too sour, probably eat too much curdled milk - said Cooper, laughing at his own joke.
Garling's only response was to grimace even more.
Charlotte listened to them in silence, walking slowly back to the river, more ready to drown than to fall into the hands of Howard and his vile followers.
- So what do you want from me, gentlemen? - she asked, taking another couple of steps back.
- We came to tell you that you will come with us -  Cooper said smugly - and don't expect anyone to save you. Everyone is too busy racing to think about some country girl.
- Why do you need me, gentlemen? - Charlotte asked again, already knowing the answer, but stalling for time, hoping that someone would notice her absence before the irreparable happened.
She took a few more steps back without being noticed, and Garling and Cooper moved closer to each other. Now, looking at her, they couldn't see what was going on behind them. Elated by such an easy and brilliant victory, they relaxed and completely forgot about caution. Something flickered among the bushes, and Charlotte thought it might be Allison, who had noticed her absence and was running after her, and her heart stopped for a moment. Her sister might have been trapped by these scoundrels, just as she was.
Charlotte tried to make out something behind Garling without drawing attention to herself, but she couldn't.
Her heart was pounding.
" God, not Allison or Georgiana, please" - she prayed, preparing to take the brunt of her. Charlotte was afraid, but her fear for herself was nothing compared to the horror she felt at the thought of Allison or Georgiana falling into Howard's hands.