Fate is gifted us a second chance

He put his hand on the top hat that had almost fallen off his head and looked nervously at his companion. The last thing he wanted right now was to be near him, but by chance it was Broome.
- We must go faster! We must catch up with him at all costs - Otis exclaimed, fighting the urge to snatch the reins from Broome's hands.
- We won't drive our horses - Broome said - Let him think that he is safe and that no one is following him. I'm not going to chase him all the way to London.
- But we'll lose him - Otis said.
- We'll lose him if we do anything stupid, Mr. Molyneux - replied Broome - they have four horses and a good carriage, and we have only this carriage, which is not drawn by the fastest trotters. We just won't catch up with them on the plain. Let him settle down somewhere in Sanditon, and we'll go quietly after him.
- But! - Otis exclaimed again.
- Patience, Mr. Molyneux - Broome said calmly, continuing to follow Howard - sometimes we all lack patience.
Otis took off his top hat and wiped his face impatiently on his sleeve.
- What do you want from Georgiana? - he finally asked.
- I'm not going to answer that Question - Broome said, barely holding back the urge to throw him out of the stroller, but not showing it with a gesture or a look -
- What? What did you find in it? She's not like you - Otis said - Who is she to you? Just for fun? She is the doll in your collection?
- A doll? - Broome asked - what in God's name are you talking about? You don't know anything about me to say such things.
- You're all the same, rich and famous - Otis said - you use people, you think everything can be bought and sold.
- I see you have a rather low opinion of the upper class - Broome said - and I'm hopeless in your eyes, too."
- Don't you? - Otis asked - you still haven't told me who Georgiana is to you.
- It's none of your business, Mr. Molyneux - Broome said harshly - you've had your chance, and now I want to take mine.
Otis paused and looked down at the toes of his shoes. In his heart of hearts, he knew that Broome was absolutely right, but his ego would not allow him to admit it.
- I love Miss lamb - Broome said at last - and she knows it. Georgiana must decide for herself what to do next. I'm not going to pressure her.
Otis looked at Broome in a new way. He realized that he had misjudged him as much as he had misjudged Beecroft and his entourage, for which he and Georgiana were still paying the price.
- I think the carriage is stopping - said Broome, pointing to the second lane at the entrance to Sanditon.
Otis nodded, and they drove a little farther, stopping in a nearby alley and walking to the house where Howard was hiding.

He was incredibly angry with Garling and Cooper, pacing the room and waiting for his belongings to be loaded into the carriage. Because of the stupidity of these two oafs, he would have to leave Sanditon before any more trouble occurred.
Howard couldn't understand why things had suddenly gone wrong. The note idea was perfect and worked like clockwork. The girl rushed to the start, forgetting everything, running with her feet to where his people were waiting for her. He was already washing his hands in anticipation of what he would get from Mrs. Campion, dreaming of what he would spend the money on, when he saw several workmen leading Garling and Cooper out of the woods. By the way, they looked rather shabby. Garling's face was bruised, and Cooper was a pitiful sight. He moaned softly, like a sick dog, wiping away the blood that was still trickling down his nose with his sleeve. There was no doubt as to which man had done this to them. Howard rubbed his fat chin, remembering with a pang the blow Sidney had given him at the ball, and shivered with apprehension. Garling and Cooper had fallen into their own trap, and now it was his turn.
Driven by fear and panic, he ordered the driver to drive to Sanditon, not missing an opportunity to take revenge on Georgiana, who had so unexpectedly appeared in his path.
Even now, standing in this small, cozy room, he could not shake off his anxiety and worry.
- Your clothers are ready, sir - said the driver-  Unless, of course, you want to take food with you.
Howard thought for a moment, then pointed imperiously to the kitchen and ordered food and liquor to be collected, not forgetting to pay the landlady.
When he had finished his preparations, he went out into the street and, after looking around, opened the carriage door.
- I wouldn't be in such a hurry if I were you, Mr. Howard - a man's voice said calmly- I think the authorities have a couple of questions for you.
Howard turned to see, to his horror, one of Parker's friends and a young, thin, dark-skinned guy next to him. Howard decided to bluff.
- What an interesting company - he said, laughing -  I don't remember meeting any of you.
- My name is Otis Molineux! - he exclaimed, stepping forward as if to challenge Howard.
- Oh, Mr. molineux - said Howard, with a nasty grin - the one I was so scared of less than a year ago. That sweet bird did nothing but talk about you until I told the truth about you losing her at cards.
- It's a lie, I loved Georgiana and I would never hurt her - Otis said.
- Blah, Blah, Blah - said Howard, smiling greasily and wiping the sweat from his brow with his plump hand - Words don't mean anything. You are stupid, poor, and hopeless, and you will end up under a fence one day.
- That's enough - Broome said loudly - That's not what we're here for.
- What are you here for, my dear? -  Howard grinned.
- You and your men attempted the lives of Georgiana lamb and Charlotte Haywood - Broome said calmly, as if reading the social news - we must detain you.
Howard laughed out loud and opened the carriage door again.
- None of you can do that - he said, and leaned into the carriage - at least not while I have it.
He turned to Broome and Otis, the musket in his right hand.
- If you shoot now - said Broome, keeping his outward calm despite his inner agitation - you will not escape the gallows. What do you hope for? That the rope won't hold your weight? Do not flatter yourself with illusions, there will be a justice for you and your companion.
Howard paused, obviously considering Broome's words. The prospect of hanging in a noose with a broken neck clearly didn't impress him. Why had he agreed to a deal with this Mrs. Campion? No amount of money was worth his life, and it was a pity that Howard didn't realize it right away.
- Give me the weapon - Broome continue - and you will have a chance to live. You will not escape punishment, but now it is up to you to decide what it will be.
Howard lowered the revolver and looked at Broome.
- No, he can't go like this - Otis said, and ran to him.
Howard clearly wasn't expecting this, and he raised his hand, not aiming, and fired directly at Otis. Mr. Molyneux jerked and sank to the ground, falling behind the high wheel of the carriage.
Howard leaned forward, studying the injured man. Broome, without a second's hesitation, pulled the handle sharply and slammed the carriage door down on Howard. He gasped, clutching his head, and, unable to stay on his feet, plopped down on his back, deciding his unenviable fate.

Everything that followed was like a nightmare for Broome that was not going to end. Arriving a few minutes after the shooting, Crowe and the workmen quickly pinned down Howard and helped carry Otis to the carriage. Broome, not sparing the horses, drove to the place of the regatta, in the hope of finding Dr. Fuchs there. And his hopes were fulfilled. As soon as they arrived, Georgiana, Charlotte, and Allison met them in alarm. He jumped to the ground and, with Sidney's help, carried Otis to the far tent, where Dr. Fuchs himself immediately arrived.
As he came out from under the awning, he encountered Georgiana, who was staring at him with wide-open eyes. He looked down at himself, trying to understand the cause of her fright, and realized that his light gray vest and white shirt were stained with blood.
- It's not my blood - he muttered, and looked down, still feeling guilty for not saving this youngster from being injured.
Georgiana gasped and ran into the tent without a word, rushing to the makeshift bed where Otis lay. Dr. Fuchs, who had already laid out his tools, began to work on it.
Broome took a deep breath and looked down, unable to see Georgiana next to Otis.
Her manner and look told him more than any words could. Her feelings for Otis were still there, and she had undoubtedly chosen Mr. Molyneux as the one of them. Until a couple of weeks ago, he had never imagined that his life would change after a trip to some small and forgotten resort town. He turned and walked slowly toward the river. Broome needed to be alone to decide what to do next.

It was late afternoon, and the guests who had been walking among the tents had finally left the clearing. In light of recent events, the final race of the regatta did not take place and was postponed to the next day. Tom was on a roll and made it look as if it had been planned, promising to arrange boat trips on the river for everyone after the final. The guests were delighted and left the regatta with a light heart, looking forward to a new interesting day.
Sidney stepped out of the tent that had become a field hospital and nervously wiped the sweat from his brow.
He was suddenly so tired that he seemed to have no strength left to stand. Sidney walked slowly along the river, enjoying the warm evening air, until he came upon Lord Broome sitting by the dock. Mr. Parker came quietly to him and sat down on the next bench.
Broome did not immediately notice his presence, but continued to stare at the river. The last rays of the setting sun fell in beautiful patterns on the water and, reflecting bright highlights, blinded his eyes and plunged him into his thoughts.
- It's really very beautiful here - finally, Broome said - Miss Heywood was right, Sanditon can win anyone who wants To let it into their heart.
- Charlotte is almost always right - Sidney said, smiling - I was sorry to find out that it took me a long time to realize it. Even in Sanditon she was able to see a lot more than I do, despite the fact that I grew up here.
- You are very lucky to have her - Broome said - Not everyone in life gets such luck.
- I know - Sidney said shortly, still smiling.
- How's Mr. Molineux? Broome asked.
- The injury is quite SEVERE Sidney said - but his life is not in danger. Dr. Fuchs really knows what he's doing. He'll be in bed for a while, of course, but I think he'll be back to normal pretty soon.
- Is he awake? - Broome asked again.
- Yes - said to Sidney, grinning - and immediately told  to us that he was an idiot and that it was his own fault that Howard had shot him.
- I won't argue - agreed Broome - it was stupid, but I'm glad that he got off lightly, it could have ended much more disastrously.
- And it would have ended very very badly if it hadn't been for you - Charlotte said, suddenly appearing behind them.
Broome only briefly nodded in response.
- Everything all right? - Sidney asked her.
- Yes - said Charlotte - Otis was taken to Sanditon, and Сrowе and Babbington came back. Howard and his men in the police Department-were taken into custody. Lord Babbington has arranged for them to be escorted to London tomorrow to stand trial.
Broome looked at her sadly, knowing that Georgiana was slipping away from him irrevocably and that he might never see her again.
- Great news - Sidney said, relieved.
- That's not all - interrupted Charlotte - Howard was so frightened by the shot that he told all about Mrs. Campion.
- Maybe it's better that way - Sidney said thoughtfully.
- Everyone gets what they deserve in the end - Broome continued.
- Do you think she won't get away with it this time? - Charlotte asked - to be honest, I don't like the idea of her coming up with something new tomorrow.
- If you'll excuse me - Broome said - I have some connections, and I think it's time to use them. I think Lady Wooster will also assist.
- Thank you, Lord Broome - said Sidney, rising and extending his hand - I hope we can talk in more relaxed atmosphere tomorrow.
Broome stood up and shook Sidney's hand.
- I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I won't be at Sanditon tomorrow - Broome said, trying to keep a straight face, but Charlotte immediately sensed something was wrong - but don't worry, I'll take care of Mrs. Campion's case.
Sidney looked at him in surprise, but had just opened his mouth to ask when he felt Charlotte's light touch. He turned to her and saw the pleading in her eyes. Charlotte asked him to leave Broome alone.
- As you wish, Lord Broome - Sidney said at last - thank you again for your help.
The men took their leave, and Sidney and Charlotte went to the carriage, where Crowe and Allison were waiting. The last of the guests left, leaving Broome alone with his own sad thoughts.

The sun sank below the horizon, taking this incredible day with it. Broome felt an extraordinary longing and emptiness inside, as if all the joy and peace in his life had gone with this day. He sat down on the bench, leaned his head back, and closed his eyes, trying to find his composure, but he couldn't. The pain, despair, and sadness that he had so carefully hidden inside himself finally broke free and took over his mind. He was surprised to feel tears on his cheeks. Never before pain of loss been so bitter, never before woman meant as much as this flighty girl. Her directness, openness, and intransigence won his heart forever. Every look, every smile, even the furrowed brows brought him incredible joy and happiness. Had he lost her forever? The thought had been pounding in his head ever since Georgiana had run into the tent. It was only now, alone, that he was able to admit it to himself.
He wiped away tears and opened his eyes to look at the darkening water.
- Do you mind if I sit next to you? - a voice said from behind him.
He started and stood up abruptly, turning to face the speaker.
- I am... I thought you left with Mr. Molyneux - he said, his voice trembling with emotion.
- I didn't go with him - she answered - I wasn't going to.
- But I thought... -  Broome began.
- I just had to make sure that he was all right - Georgiana said, smiling - because he got hurt because of me. And you always think too much, Lord Broome.
- So you don't...? - Broome asked, afraid to hear the answer to his question.
- I have already made my choice, Lord Broome - Georgiana replied - and Otis will have to accept it.
She moved closer to him and gently stroked his cheek.
- Thank you for standing up for me and saving Otis - she said - I hope you weren't hurt?
- I'm all right - he said.
- As always - she retorted - the invincible Lord Broome, nothing can unsettle you.
- Don't tell this, I just watched the sunset and cried like a young lady, at the thought of losing forever the person most dear to me - honestly said Broome, looking her straight in the eyes.
Her lashes flew up, and Georgiana threw herself into his arms, pressing her body against Broome's.
- I love you too - she quietly told and, burying fingers in his suddenly soft hair, affectionately kissed in lips, destroying the last doubts and barriers between them.
Broome wrapped his arms around her back and waist, holding her even closer, leaving no chance of escape.

#Sanditon #Sidlotte #Sanditonfanfiction