When it comes to love...

The carriage rocked gently, soothing them both to sleep.
- Are you warm? - Сrowе asked, adjusting the shawl on her shoulder.
- Yes, thank you, sir - Allison said, smiling modestly.
- Sir... - he repeated thoughtfully.
- Mr. Сrowe -  Allison said, confused - I was going to say Mr. Crowe.
- Fine, and then I thought that I'm 70 years old and I limp on my left leg - said Crowe with a rather serious face - who would have thought... Sir.
Allison laughed, making her face dimple prettily and her eyes sparkle. Francis couldn't take his eyes off her. In the dimness of the carriage, it seemed to him weightless and unearthly.
- Why do you say that? - she asked - you don't look like an old man, and you certainly don't limp.
- What do you think I look like? -  Francis said, eyeing Allison closely, so that she wrapped her shawl more tightly around her in embarrassment.
- You look like a young gentleman - she said, still aware of his gaze.
- Young....you flatter me, Miss Heywood - he replied gravely.
- I always say what I think - she said.
- It does you Credit - said Francis.
- And sometimes it makes my life difficult - Allison continues - at least that's what a friend of mine in Willingden says.
- And you agree with her? - Crowe asked, wanting to understand her character - and what had given her such an interesting idea anyway?
- She... - Allison hesitated, not sure if she could talk to him about it.
- I'm all ears - Francis said, and unconsciously leaned closer to her.
She looked into his eyes and decided to tell everything.
- My friend says I'm too strict with. .. with young men who pay attention to me - Allison finally said - and that I am... I'll never get married like this.
Crowe looked at her carefully, knowing that he admired this young woman. She lowered her eyes in embarrassment, then turned back to the carriage window, wishing she hadn't said too much.
Crowe broke the silence.
- Your friend is not right - he said calmly - in my opinion, this is one of your greatest advantages.
Allison turned face to him, but she didn't dare look him in the eye. The only one thought that Allison actually had feelings in any way similar to his own made his heart burn and his body tremble with excitement.
Crowe reached out, not daring to do what he wanted, afraid that he would scare her away, but she didn't pull away. Francis gently touched her chin and gently lifted her face, trying to look into her eyes.
Her lashes fluttered, and for a moment his breath caught in his throat, and his heart began to pound. Francis dared not let go of her, trembling at the touch of her soft skin.
- You are a very unusual girl, Miss Heywood...Allison - he said softly, his voice hoarse with excitement - I can't stop being surprised and admiring you.
Her cheeks flushed brighter and he reluctantly released her chin.
- I know we haven't known each other very long - continued Francis - but it seems to me that I have known you all my life, and can tell you any secret I have.
- I think so either - Allison said quietly - this has never happened to me before.
- Does that frighten you? - he asked.
- Yes, a little - she said, almost inaudibly.
- To be honest, then me, too, - said Francis, smiling - I suggest to be afraid together.
- Mr. Crowe!  - she said with a smile - you're making me laugh again!
- With great pleasure - Crowe said - You are very beautiful when you smile.
- Mr. Crowe...  - Allison began, but the carriage stopped abruptly.
Crowe looked out of the window and saw that they had arrived at their destination.
- Sanditon house, Miss Heywood - he said, opening the carriage door.
They dismissed the carriage, and the driver went back to the arena, intending to bring his mistress home.
- You must be very tired, Miss Heywood - Crowe said, wishing in his heart that she would say no - and I should leave you.
- I'm really tired, Mr. Crowe - Allison said, and when she heard his disappointed sigh, she added - but I don't want you to leave.
He smiled at her, unable to hide his joy.
- Would you like to go inside? - He asked - or would you prefer a walk in the garden?
- I'd rather walk - Allison said - if you don't mind.
- Not at all - Francis said, extending his elbow.
She took his arm carefully and put the shawl back on. Francis led her deeper into the garden.
- Will you tell me about Willingden? - Сrowе asked - I have recently become extremely interested in this town.
She smiled back at him.
- Willingden isn't really a town, but rather a large, quiet Village - she replied - you would probably not like it there and would be quite boring.
- What makes you so sure? - he asked, grinning.
- I am... I don't know - Allison said, thinking a littlе - maybe it's because you're used to all kinds of society, balls, and luxury.
- Is this all important to you? - Crowe asked.
- Oh, no - she said - but maybe it's somehow important to you.
- I used to drink myself into oblivion at balls and do all sorts of obscene things - Crowe admitted - now even to remember it is a shame.
- I can't imagine it, Mr. Crowe - Allison said.
- Believe me, I'm not exaggerating at all - he said with a grin - so everything that's been said about me is true.
- I don't believe that's your true identity - Allison said firmly - and I've already mentioned that and your strange tendency to hide behind different masks.
- I'm a complicated person - Francis said.
- With a great sense of humor - Allison finished for him.
He laughed and looked at her carefully.
- There are many who would argue with you, miss Haywood - he said - very many people...
- So they don't have a drop of it themselves - she said.
- Is it just me, or have I found a protector in you, Miss Hеywood? - Francis asked.
-  Probably is - Allison said, and looked at him - I'm...
In the half-light, she couldn't see the small curb, but she tripped over it and staggered violently. Francis picked her up, and allowed her to stay on his feet.
- Are you all right? - he asked, hardly daring to meet her eyes.
- Yes, Yes, I'm fine - she said hastily - thank you, Mr. Сrowе, I just stumbled.
He released her slowly, fighting the urge to grab her and hold her as tightly as he could.
She smiled back at him and started down the alley, but before she had gone two steps she gave a little cry and stopped.
- Is something wrong, Miss Hеywood? -  Francis asked excitedly.
- I think I twisted my ankle - she said.
Without thinking, Сrowе leaned over and picked her up in one easy movement.
She stared at him, wide-eyed.
- Mr. Crowe... - she began, feeling a surge of excitement at his unexpected closeness - you don't have to...
- You'd better hold on to me - he said, trying to remain calm - I'll carry you to the bench.
She gently wrapped her arms around his neck, her cold fingers touching the curls of hair at the back of his neck, causing him to lose control.
Francis felt a shiver run down his spine, and his heart was pounding so fast it would have burst out of his chest. He pulled her closer. She sighed and clung to his chest, making him melt with delight and tenderness.