What more proof do you need?

The sun, warming everyone with a bright light, did not please them at all. A gusty wind blew clouds over the horizon, ruffled hair, and tore hats from their heads. Nature seemed to sense the tension between the two men. Only the sound of the waves broke their silence. Stringer and Lord Babbington walked along the beach, leaving the noisy arena far behind them. At last Babbington stopped, removed his top hat, and turned to his companion.
- So what exactly did you want to tell me, Mr. Stringer?-  said Babbington, trying to control himself and not show any doubt or fear for his sister's future.
- It's about Lady Babbington... Lady Augusta - said James, looking the Lord directly in the eyes - I should have spoken to you much earlier and I'm ashamed that I haven't done so yet.
- What do you mean? - Babbington tensed, expecting to hear the worst after this introduction.
- I love your sister, Lord Babbington, sincerely and very much - James said, taking a deep breath - she is the most wonderful, kind, and bright person I have ever met in my life. If I could afford it, I would ask her to marry me without a moment's hesitation.
Babbington flinched at his words and stared into his eyes, trying to find a hint in them that James was telling a lie, but Stringer was looking at him openly, not hiding.
- What do you want from me? -  Babbington asked defiantly - dowry, title, income, position in society?
- No - said James, lifting his head proudly - I don't want anything from you. I would never ask for anything and not marry for profit. I'm not rich and I don't have a title, but I have pride, a new home, a profession, and hands that I can use to earn money to support myself and my future family.
Babbington realized that he had insulted Stringer and tried to retreat.
- Mr. Stringer, that's not what I meant - he said.
- Is it? - James asked - isn't that what you really think of me, and everyone below you in your family? That we are pathetic and see nothing but money in front of us?
- Your sister is used to it and no doubt deserves a better life than I can ever offer her - James continued - but that doesn't mean I don't love her and won't try to make her happy. I got my chance from the Prince Regent and I'm going to take it. I could keep quiet and pretend that nothing is happening, but I don't want to. I respect you, Lord Babbington, and your sister, and I will not deceive anyone.
Stringer paused, panting, and stared at the man on whom his entire life might depend.
- You were very clear in your wishes and feelings, Mr. Stringer - Babbington said, trying to recover from the torrent of words that the young architect had hurled at him -to be honest, I didn't think it was that serious. I thought my sister was just attracted to you and it would all pass with time.
- I understand you perfectly well, Lord Babington - said James - I am almost the worst match for your sister that you can imagine. I'm sorry to have taken up your time.
Stringer bowed and walked back to the arena with his head held high, thinking that what  he had done is permanently denied himself and Augusta the chance to be together.
Babbington turned to look after the departing architect, his thoughts hammering in his head. Before him was a really decent, honest and hardworking person, incredibly talented and with every chance to succeed in life. Yes, he was not rich and did not own estates, but he had something that many of the upper classes did not have - sincerity and simplicity. James loved her sister, and would probably have carried her in his arms all her life, making her a happy wife and mother to his children.
Babbington shook his head, dismissing these fantasies and trying to return to the reality of Augusta marrying a man her equal. He imagined leading her down the aisle of the Church to hand her over to the groom, lifting the veil and seeing.... Augusta's eyes full of tears.
- Wait, Mr. Stringer - Babbington said.
James stopped in disbelief and turned slowly to face him.
Babbington caught up with him. He looked up at James and studied him. The architect held his breath.
- I can't give you any answer right now, Mr. Stringer," he said - until I talk to Augusta.
- I understand - James said calmly, secretly elated at his words.
- But I have one condition - Babbington said.
- Whatever you want - Stringer said.
- You must not see Augusta alone - Babbington said.
- I accept your condition - stringer agreed.