The masquerade ball. Part 2.

Music began to play and elegant couples started to move. He couldn't take his eyes off Charlotte, she was incredibly beautiful today, and her magic smile and ringing laugh took his breath away. "He makes her laugh, and I made her cry, I hurt her... "in hearts thought Sidney, and sensed as guilt heavy weight generalship on his heart of. Every movement, every gesture, every touch, every glance of Lord Broome's at Charlotte brought him unbearable pain, but he could not stop looking at them.
- Oh, Mr. Parker, are you looking for someone?-  Lady Wooster, who had just come up, asked with a smile, and following his gaze, continued - oh... Charlotte... well, of course!!!
Sidney looked down in silence, and lady Susan smiled again.
- Aren't they - they're a wonderful couple? They look great together - lady Wooster continued, enjoying watching Sidney struggle to cope with emotions - he looks after her so beautifully and takes such care of her. Charlotte deserves it. I would be very surprised if Lord Broome did not propose of a marriage to her soon.
It seemed to Sidney that his whole world had suddenly been turned upside down. He was unable to breathe, clenching his fists so tightly that his knuckles turned white, his brows furrowed, and a deep, anxious frown creased his forehead. Jealousy seemed to flood him.
All these metamorphoses did not go unnoticed by Lady Susan, and judging by her smile, she really liked what she saw.
- Oh, Yes, Mr. Parker - she continued - may I congratulate you on your engagement to Mrs. Campion?
Sidney looked around sharply, as if he'd been slapped in the face by her. When he saw Charlotte, he forgot all about the engagement and Sanditon. More important was the fact that she was dancing now with another man in this room. Sidney felt sick and nauseated, and he sucked in a desperate breath to keep from betraying his emotions.
- It is true that this engagement was so unexpected and hasty for many people - continued lady Susan, as if nothing had happened.
He met her gaze steadily, and for some reason decided not to lie to her.
- It was just circumstances - Sidney said - I didn't have a choice.
- It didn't surprise me at all, considering how much effort Mrs. Campion put into closing all the doors in London for you - Lady Worcester said calmly, raising an expressive eyebrow.
Sidney felt as if he had been suddenly doused in icy water, and opened his eyes wide, unable to believe what he had just heard.
- But..What ?... How do you ... - Sidney began.
- How do I know? -Susan asked with a smile - I know everything that's going on in London, Mr. Parker. Please excuse me.
Lady Wooster gave him another mischievous smile again and moved away to join the other guests, leaving Sidney to struggle with the frenzied stream of thoughts she had just generated in him.
"Charlotte and Lord Broome, is everything settled? Did she still have any feelings for him? Eliza and the damn deal, how? How could she do this to him? What for? Eliza knows he doesn't love her."
Everything was mixed up in his head, the music was playing louder and louder, the couples were dancing faster and faster, not giving Sydney time to recover, and he seemed to be torn apart. With a last effort of will, he stopped this cycle of thoughts and made the decision " Charlotte is the most important thing today, I must talk to her, the rest later."

The music ended, and the couples applauded each other and dispersed. Sidney watched Charlotte converse sweetly with Lord Broome, smiling at him, and he felt a pang of jealousy again, his whole being telling him, " she must be mine and mine alone." Charlotte turned as if looking for someone in the audience and met Sidney's eyes. He couldn't tear himself away from her. Charlotte looked at him the same way she had that night after the regatta, when he had come to tell her that she was the only one with whom he was getting better. A small spark of hope lit up in Sydney's heart, and without hesitation he went to meet her.
- I'm sorry to interrupt - Sidney said, coming close enough to address them both.
- Miss Haywood - Sidney said loudly - would you do me the honor of inviting you to the next dance, if you haven't already been invited?" - and looked straight into her wide eyes.
Charlotte's face flushed again, and she lowered her eyes for a moment, then lifted her chin and looked at him.:
- Yes, of course, thank you.
Sydney was elated, she agreed to dance with him, he could touch her, look at her, admire her features. He was even more delighted to find that during their brief conversation she had not once looked at Lord Broome, who had been very much annoyed at Sidney's appearance and was now regarding him with obvious displeasure.
To his deep regret, Sidney realized that Broome was not going to leave just like that, either.  He was facing a strong opponent with much greater financial opportunities than he had, and certainly with fewer problems. Broome was rich, handsome, gallant, interesting, and quite intelligent, almost the dream of any single girl.
"Do I have the slightest chance? Can I hope for?"These questions drove Sydney crazy.
He looked at Charlotte again, grasping her gaze as if it were a lifeline, and was rewarded by her. Charlotte smiled back at him tenderly and accepted his outstretched hand. In her eyes he saw again the mischievous twinkle he loved so much, saw his Charlotte, whose tender words and caustic remarks he had missed so much in these past long days.
It was only a question of compatibility, he thought, and he smiled at her tenderly, because he knew that the woman he was now walking hand in hand with was the only one who could make him happy. "She's the one. Only Charlotte. I must return her  at whatever it takes"