I cannot go back. I am compelled to go forward.

She pretended to look out of the window, her hands caressing the translucent soft fabric of the curtains. The bright morning sun and a slight breeze suggested that today would be a beautiful day and the rowing race would definitely take place. A vague sense of unease suddenly surged through her, but it was quickly replaced by another. She saw him. He took her hand gently, smiling, and slowly drew her to him. She felt again the warmth of his body and the depth of his beautiful eyes, and her heart beat faster, and her cheeks flushed. Instinctively, she wrapped the curtains around her, wanting to attach herself even more firmly to her own vision. His lips were so close again, and his breath was so hot that she took a sharp, loud breath and smiled to herself without opening her eyes.
- Ellie? - asked the Charlotte - can you hear me?
Her younger sister ignored her, still stroking the curtain as if dancing an elegant waltz with her.
- Allison Heywood I'm talking to you now! - exclaimed Charlotte, smiling - what's going on with you?
The younger Heywood started, released the curtains, and looked at her.
- Oh? What? - Allison asked, as if coming out of a sweet dream - did you say something?
- Where are you, Allison? - Charlotte asked - who in God's name are you thinking of? Oh, no, don't tell me, I already know who it is. What happened yesterday after you ran away? With all the preparations for the regatta and the news from Otis, I didn't even have time to talk to you. You looked so strange when you came back.
Allison's blush deepened and she lowered her eyes.
- Is something wrong? - Charlotte asked excitedly.
Allison looked up, and Charlotte saw tears in the corners of her eyes. Her heart was pounding with excitement, but her sister's subsequent smile calmed her. She realized that Allison's tears were from happiness.
- Francis made me an offer to marry him - Allison said in a low voice - and I accepted it.
With a cry of joy, Charlotte leaped from the bed and stormed straight to her sister. Taking her in her warm embrace, she pressed her forehead against hers and smiled.
-  I'm so happy for you, Allison - she cried, looking straight into her eyes - I know that you love him and he loves you too.
- Yes, that's right - said the younger Haywood, trying to keep her composure - he's very kind to me.
- Is not just kindness, honey - said Charlotte - he loves you, he became a different person. You have to trust him and your feelings.
- I believe him - Allison said, and tears rolled down her cheeks as she sobbed - you can't even imagine how happy I am. He is such a... such... he understands me... I don't know how to Express my feelings. With him, I can be myself, I can just be silent, cry, not afraid of anything. I love him so much, Charlotte...
- When will you tell papa? - Charlotte asked.
- Francis and I talked to him yesterday - Allison said.
- What?" How? When? Why didn't they tell us? - Charlotte asked - What did papa say?
- He gave his blessing - Allison said.
- But why didn't you tell us? - Charlotte asked, smiling broadly.
- You were so busy talking about Howard and the regatta that we decided to let you know later. - Allison answered - I'm sorry, Charlotte. Please don't be angry.
- Oh, Allison, don't be silly - she said - how can I be angry at you, especially now? God, I'm so happy for you. And Phillip, he's going to love it, I think he's crazy about Crowe.
- I don't doubt it - Allison said, laughing - he told Francis all about me.
- Well, that's not so bad - said Charlotte - so Mr. Crowe knows exactly what he's doing.
- Maybe you're right - the younger Heywood agreed.
- So we have to get ready, the race is about to start, and I still have some things to check at the start - Charlotte said.
- Are you sure we should go there at all? - Allison asked - After all that Mr. Molyneux has told you, wouldn't it be better to stay here?
- No, Allison, we can't - she said.
- But it's very dangerous, Charlotte - said her sister.
- Yes, you're right - Charlotte agree - but if we're not here today, they'll try tomorrow or another day, and we can't hide forever. They must be stopped. And thanks to Otis, we have the advantage of waiting for them to show up, and Howard and his people don't know it.
- I'm still scared - Allison said honestly.
- I know. Me, too - Charlotte said - but we won't be alone.
Allison took a deep breath and nodded.
- All right, then I'll go get ready - she said.