From one gentleman's pursuit to another

He smiled, remembering the day before that had brought so much new to his life. The jousting tournament that began in Sanditon promised to bring joy not only to the guests, but also to its founders.
He looked out of the window, glad to see the clear sky without a cloud, and closed his eyes, trying to calm his pounding heart.
He rose slowly from the table and went to the bed, picking up a simple wooden cane. It was old and had been badly damaged by the fire, but for him it was almost the only thing that reminded him of his father. James sighed heavily, wishing that Stringer Sr. had lived to see his first triumph.
The door opened and a bright cloud flew into the room, which for an instant illuminated all around with its bright light.
Augusta Babbington looked incredibly beautiful in her muslin blue and white dress. Her blond curls were gathered in a low bun and fell in waves down the back of her neck, leaving most of it exposed the delicate lobes of her ears. James swallowed, trying to control the sudden rush of thoughts and fantasies.
- Lady Augusta - he managed to say, and shook his head, dismissing the last of his illusions.
- James! - exclaimed Augusta, and threw herself into his arms.
He held her gently for a moment, then let her go, taking a half step back.
- Is something wrong? - she asked - you look like you're not yourself.
- I'm sorry - James said with a heavy sigh. He turned the cane over in his hands and set it down again by the bed.
- You don't want to see me? Then I won't bother you again - she said, and her beautiful, luminous green eyes filled with tears.
- Good God, honey, no - James said, taking her hands in his - that's not the point. I wanted to see you again. But you shouldn't have come home here. They might see you. I don't want you to be thought or spoken ill of.
- But I don't care - said Augusta.
- But I'll care-   James said firmly - You're a Lady and your reputation is very important. And for me, too. I don't want to be the cause of talk and gossip, I don't want to smear your honest name, you deserve so much more.
She reached out to him and gently stroked his cheek.
- But I'm already here - she said softly - and I'm not leaving until I talk to you.
He looked at her, knowing full well that it was useless to resist her now.
- What do you want to know? - he asked patiently.
-Two things! - she exclaimed - What did the Prince Regent say to you after my brother took me away? And what is this cane is there by your bed?
- You're interested in everything, I understand - Stringer said with a smile.
- If it concerns you, Yes - Augusta admitted, and added with a smile - although my brother does find me very curious.
- I wonder why he would think that? - jokingly asked the Stringer.
- I don't know - Augusta said, laughing.
- In what order should I answer the questions? - James asked, offering Augusta A seat.
She shrugged, letting him choose for himself.
- Then I'll start with this - he said, picking up his cane again - this is my father's cane - the only thing I have left to remember him by.
- Charlotte told me that he was tragically died in a fire last year - Augusta said - I'm really sorry.
- Did Miss Haywood say anything else? - he asked.
- Charlotte said that you were the only one who could tell me what had happened, and that you would do so when the time came - Augusta replied.
Miss Hеywood was always wise and understanding - James agreed - and I think the time has finally come.
- Do you miss him? - Augusta asked, getting up and moving closer to him.
- Yes - he said quietly - and I still blame myself for his death and what happened to Sanditon.
- What? Why? - Augusta exclaimed, taking his hands in hers.
- I wanted to get to the ball very much, I was in a hurry, and I said so many unnecessary words to him then - continued James-I should have stayed with him and none of this would have happened.
-  But that's just wrong! - she replied - you can't blame yourself, you couldn't have known.
- I should have listened to him - he exclaimed, and turned away from her, unable to meet her eyes any longer - I was so...so ambitious ...so stubborn... and now he's gone and never will be with me.
- We all lose loved ones, James - Augusta said softly, putting her hand on his shoulder - When my parents died, I thought I was going to go crazy. I was angry at myself and at them. But it was useless and gave no peace.
- It's no one's fault, do you hear me? - she exclaim - You must let him go and move on, not turn your back on those who love and value you.
He turned slowly and looked at her. There were tears in his eyes. James took her hands in his again.
- Thank you - he said quietly - you're the best thing that ever happened to me in life. I love you, Lady Augusta Babbington.
- And I love you, James Stringer - she whispered, standing on tiptoe and kissing him on his lips.
He smiled back at her and held her close.
It was some time before she drew back and looked at him questioningly.
- What about the Prince Regent? - she asked.
- Oh, he was very nice to me - Stringer said with a smile.
- And??? - Augusta interrupted impatiently.
- And he offered me a job - said James - first here in Sanditon and then in London in the winter.
Augusta screamed with delight and threw her arms around his neck, but he only held his treasure tighter.
- I knew you were worthy of the best - she said faintly.
James smiled and buried his face in her blond curls.