Gracious no!!!

She stepped out onto the balcony and breathed in the fresh night air. The wind casually swayed the branches of the trees, making her move in time with them. Charlotte felt light and warm after her conversation with her sister. Allison had gone to her room only a few minutes ago, leaving her alone with her own thoughts.
She closed her eyes and smiled, imagining that somewhere beyond the darkness of the night was her Sidney, who might be thinking of her now, too.
Charlotte put her arm around her shoulders and went back into the warm room, still warmed by the fire.
She took off her Slippers and climbed gratefully into bed. Charlotte lay back, letting the cool sheets finally settle her tired body. She stretched, burying her hands in the downy pillow, and smiled, closing her eyes and enjoying the long-awaited sleep.
Her thoughts drifted away, plunging her into a pleasant sleepy languor.
Charlotte's eyes snapped open as she heard a strange noise outside. Or rather, not a noise, but a rustle, or it was the sound of broken branches. She cringed and sat down on the bed. There was no sound from the street except the wind and the rustle of leaves.
"It seemed to me" - she thought and lay down again, but sleep did not come to her. Charlotte listened intently to the sounds of the night, wondering what had really frightened her so much.
She got up and went to the balcony, determined to close the door at last and save herself the trouble. At that moment, in the darkness, she saw a man's silhouette on the railing. Her short hair, strong body and broad shoulders, and the white shirt that gave h away even in the dark, made her freeze with horror.
For a moment, she decided what to do next, call for help immediately,or fight back herself. All of Howard's threats against her and Sidney, Eliza's angry eyes, and God knows what other horrors raced through her mind.
She slowly moved away from the door, knowing that she would not be able to close it in time. The man climbed over the balcony, but caught his boot on a branch, swore in a whisper, and stood up. He was tall and slender, but that was all she could see in the light of the fire and the dying candles. It wasn't Howard. "What nonsense! How could he even get on the 2nd floor? The servants must be putting on his shoes" she thought casually . Charlotte took a few more steps back and realized that she was trapped, with only the wall and the fireplace behind her. Instinctively, her hands found something hard and long. As she looked closer, Charlotte realized that it was a beautiful wrought-iron poker.
The door creaked, and the man looked inside. Driven by terror, her heart pounding, she threw herself at him, waving the poker in the air.
Charlotte swung with all her might and hit him, but instead of screaming in pain or even gasping in surprise, he grabbed her hard, knocking the poker out of her hands, and threw her toward the bed. It fell soundlessly into the blanket. Charlotte realized that she was caught, she didn't know what to do, and for the first time in her life, she was really scared. She had lost the gift of speech. The feeling of horror was only momentary. Charlotte pulled herself together and kicked him in the Shin with all the force of her heel. He gasped and released her from his arms. She ran back without even looking at him, and snatched up a large ceramic vase with a beautiful blue painting that stood on a shelf above the fireplace. She turned and raised the vase high above her head, ready to bring it down on the scoundrel's head at any moment. Charlotte finally looked at her attacker.
He stood in the middle of the room, bent slightly, one hand on his hip, the other rubbing his bruised leg.
- God, I'm an idiot - he said in a whisper, with a slight chuckle - I should have known this was going to happen, you've never been easy, Miss Heywood.
He stood up and looked at her.
- Sidney? - Charlotte asked, dropping her hands - What? What are you doing here?
- I just wanted to see you - he replied, still trying to breathe normally, but he was not particularly successful, the climb to the second floor on the flimsy fence and the fight with Charlotte made itself felt - perhaps tomorrow your parents will arrive and we will not be able to be alone at all.
- How stupid of you, Sidney - she said, putting the vase back on the shelf - what did you want to do with it?
- Well, I was hoping for a slightly warmer reception - he said, with a chuckle - but now I take back all my reproaches about your defenselessness. You almost killed me with a poker and then a vase. It was truly impressive, but don't do it again.
- I should have hit you hard with that poker - she said, still whispering - God knows what I thought in those seconds. Damn it, Sidney, I was almost asleep.
- I'm sorry, - said Sidney tenderly, - I'm really a fool, I just wanted to Wake you up with a kiss or just watch you sleep. And I would have done it if it hadn't been for that damned fence and that stupid branch.
- What if I screamed? - she asked - What if you woke up the whole house?
- Oh, that would be a great scandal - he replied, sitting on the edge of the bed and rubbing His sore leg - Lady Denham would have skinned me, not to mention your father.
- Serves you right - said Charlotte.
She was terribly angry with him, and at the same time madly glad to see him. She felt sorry for his leg, which she had so mercilessly kicked a few minutes ago. Charlotte wanted to hold Sidney close and comfort him.
He lowered his eyes, unable to see what was before him any longer.
In the heat of battle, his future wife had forgotten that she was ready for bed and was only wearing her nightgown. Charlotte stood in the light of the dying fire and the flickering candles. She was beautiful as never before. Charlotte's face was so beautiful that it took his breath away. Some of her unruly hair was piled on top of her head, revealing a long, elegant neck. He looked down and was speechless when he saw her silk white nightgown with large flounces roll down to reveal her beautiful rounded shoulders. Lit by the fire, she seemed to him unearthly, a fairy or nymph who had escaped from the magic forest. Her shirt shone through in the light, allowing him to admire every curve of her body, the sharp line of her hips, and her high Breasts. Sidney swallowed, trying to control himself. In his mind, the present intertwined with his dreams, intoxicating him and forcing him to come closer and touch this deity. He closed his eyes, lowered his head and began to rub his lower leg.
-Are you in a lot of pain? - Charlotte asked sympathetically and moved closer to him - maybe you need ice, probably a bruise.
She leaned over and stroked his leg, trying to feel how bad it was.
Sidney froze as she squatted down, almost leaning her bare shoulder against him, her head on his knee, and began to work magic on his leg. Her dark curls fell down to reveal her shoulders and the back of her neck. Sidney felt an incredibly strong desire to Pat her back, but God, he couldn't hide it, to grab her and pin her to the bed with all his body. He wanted to kiss her all the way from the top of her head to the little pink heels that had almost knocked him down. He wanted to feel every curve of her body, to know every bump and hollow. To taste her soft lips again and feel the touch of her soft hands on his body. He shook his head, dismissing his fantasies and visions. He wanted to, but he couldn't do this to her, not now...
- Does it much pain? - she asked, pressing down on her leg.
He took a sharp breath, trying to pull himself back to reality.
- It doesn't hurt any more than seeing you like this and not being able to touch you - Sidney replied, his voice hoarse with excitement -  I didn't think of that when I came here. You're right, I often act like a fool.
Charlotte looked down at herself and finally understood what had caused Sidney's confusion. Her thin, semi-transparent nightgown, which Lady Susan had so kindly given her, allowed Charlotte to see her own feet, and only God knew what he could see there. Charlotte was confused, the blood rushing to her cheeks, making her even more beautiful than she had been a moment ago. She took a couple of steps away, looking for something to hide, and Sidney continued to stare at her, never taking his eyes off her, barely blinking, which made her even more confused. Charlotte looked at him and felt a sharp desire to throw herself into his arms: he was still sitting on the bed, looking at her with a loving, fascinated gaze. His shirt, rolled up to the elbow, revealed his strong, beautiful arms, and the neckcloth was gone, allowing the collar of his shirt to open so far that Charlotte could see part of his powerful chest. The memory of their meeting in the Bay had taken its toll, and she shivered, fighting the urge to touch him again.
Sidney stood up and in two strides caught up with Charlotte, getting as close to her as he could control himself.
- You're so beautiful, you know? - his voice was barely audible, and the sound of it made her legs go weak. She shivered and he held her waist, feeling her body for the first time through the thin silk fabric, not through the stiff corset and many layers of clothing. The touch burned them both. Sidney leaned down and kissed her gently on  her lips, unable to resist any longer. Their kiss was gentle and passionate at the same time. She gave herself up to his hands and lips, forgetting everything else. Sidney picked her up and carried her slowly to the bed. Charlotte's heart nearly burst from her chest. He laid her gently on the bed and knelt to cover her with the blanket.
She looked at him questioningly, not believing that the whole story was over.
- I came here to see you and wish you sweet Dreams - Sidney said softly - not to steal your maiden honor. I love you too much to do this to you.
Charlotte looked at him, and her eyes glistened with tears.
- You can't even imagine the fantasies that go through my head when I see you - he continued, still trying to pull himself together -you're driving me crazy, Charlotte. I would have given anything to turn back time and go back to our cliff, before the ball, remember?
- Yes - Charlotte said softly, and tears rolled down her cheek - how I can forgot this? That was the first time you kissed me.
- I was a fool then - said Sidney - I should have proposed to you up there on the hill when we were alone, but I was slow and I wanted to do it right, at the ball.
- But fate decreed otherwise - Charlotte finished - but you couldn't even imagine that it would happen.
- I couldn't - Sidney agree - but I knew that I was head over heels in love with you, that I was ready to give you my body, my soul, and everything I had in this life. From the moment I first saw you there with Mary, I knew my life wouldn't be the same. I resisted for a long time, lying to myself and others, not wanting to let you into my heart, but it was in vain. Charlotte Heywood-you are the hurricane that tore my entire past life to shreds.
Charlotte looked at him, and tears of joy and happiness slowly trickled down her beautiful face.
- No, no, don't cry - he said with a smile, wiping away her tears with his kisses - I don't want my girl to cry. I love you, Charlotte.
- I love you, too - she said softly, and put her arms around his neck. Sidney hugged her back. Finally, he released her and pulled away for a moment.
- Sit with me - Charlotte said, shifting on the bed.
Sidney hesitated for a moment, then got up from his knees and sat on the edge of the bed beside her.
- Please, come closer - she said softly, embarrassed by her own boldness.
He got up again, tucked the blanket under her, and lay down next to Charlotte.
She put her head on his shoulder and other hand on his chest. Sidney took a deep breath and covered her small hand with his hot palm, gently kissing his future wife on the top of her head.
- I'm glad you came, even though you scared me to death - Charlotte said, nuzzling his neck and making him mentally count to ten (or maybe a hundred) to calm down.
- I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to scare you - he said.
- What if you got mixed up and went to Allison instead of me, or even worse, to Lady Denham? - she asked, and he felt that she was smiling without opening her eyes. Every word she said, every breath she took, he felt as if he were one with her.
- I could not be mistaken - said Sidney-I came here several times in the evening and saw you reading a book, sitting on the windowsill. I've always wanted you to remember me at this moment
- I never think of you, Sidney Parker - Charlotte said.
- Why not? -  Sidney was genuinely surprised
-  Because I'm not for a moment forget about you - she said, falling asleep - you are always in my heart.
- You're in mine - Sidney said, and kissed the top of her curly head again.
Fatigue took its toll, and Charlotte fell asleep on his shoulder in the arms of his hot hands. She was snoring softly against his neck, and Sidney's heart nearly broke with delight. She was in his arms and trusted him as completely as only a truly loving heart could.
Carefully, he withdrew his hand and slid off the bed, careful not to disturb her sleep. Sidney leaned over and kissed her again, not daring to part until tomorrow (or even today, who knows how long it had been). Finally, he got up and walked resolutely to the balcony to get out the way he had come, hoping only that he would not fall down and cause a universal commotion. Sidney glanced at the sleeping Charlotte, smiled, took a deep breath, and climbed over the balcony railing into the night.

She awoke to find that he was not there. It made her feel cold and uncomfortable to realize that Sidney was probably just a beautiful dream, and that everything she'd seen, heard, and felt had never really happened.
There was a knock on the door.
- Charlotte?" Are you awake? - Allison asked, peering through the doorway.
- No, I'm already awake, come on in - Charlotte said, still not accepting her loss. She wanted to believe that everything that happened was real so much, but the sun rising over the horizon quickly dispelled her illusions and returned to the present.
- I'm surprised you're still in bed - said Allison - we went to bed so early yesterday that I woke up at five and couldn't sleep any more. And you, I see, decided to take advantage of every minute.
- I just had a strange dream - said Charlotte with sadness - I don't even know what time I fell asleep, I thought for a long time, and then...
- God, I almost forgot - Allison said, pulling a folded piece of paper from her pocket -I got a letter from our mother.They will arrive later this afternoon with the post-chaise. Papa did not want to hire horses. And our brother was ready to run here even with his own feet.
Charlotte laughed. Allison sat down next to her on the bed and handed her the letter.
- So we must meet them - said Charlotte, smiling - maybe we won't go to the arena today, they will probably get tired from the road.
Allison sighed and looked at her sister.
- What? - Charlotte asked - Oh, my God, I forgot, it's Mr. Crowe's show tonight! Are you worried about him?
- To be honest, Yes - Allison said.
- Sidney says Crowe and Broome were the best swordsmen at the University - Charlotte said - and don't worry about our parents, we'll figure something out.
- Thank you - Allison said, and hugged her sister.
- Well, it's time to get up - Charlotte said, smiling.
Allison nodded and started to get up too, but she bumped into something hard. She picked it up and looked at it in surprise.
- I didn't know you slept with a poker - she said.
Charlotte looked around, and her eyes were bright, and her face lit up with a happy smile.
"Sidney was here! And I didn't dream it" - she thought.

#Sanditon #Sidlotte #Sanditonfanfiction