Befuddled

Sidney looked at her in a way that no one else in the world could. His fathomless eyes beckoned to her, making her forget everything. She looked at his handsome face with a smile, every line of it, rejoicing in his proximity and burning with incredible tenderness. He reached out and ran his hot fingers over her cheek. Charlotte smiled and closed her eyes.
- Miss Hеywood - Lord Broome said softly - can you hear me?
Opening her eyes and looking around Charlotte realized that all this was just a dream and that Sidney was not with her.
- Oh, Yes, I'm sorry, Lord Broome, did you ask something? - Charlotte said, smiling - I was just thinking a little.
- Are you all right, Miss Heywood? - asked Broome - since we arrived, you've been so sad, as if you were worried about something. Is there anything I can do for you?
- Oh, thank you - smiling answered Charlotte - but I'm really all right.
- Then maybe you should eat something? - Broome asked.
Charlotte looked down at the plate in front of her, surprised to realize that she had barely touched the food. Thoughts of Sidney filled her mind. She couldn't concentrate on anything after he left. The only comfort she had left was a letter from Sidney, written before he left.
- I guess I'm just not hungry - Charlotte said quietly.
- Yes, you're right - said Broome - it's hot today, but a long walk should have given you an appetite.
Charlotte just smiled back.
- Miss Haywood, I'd like to meet your friends - Broome said.
- With whom? - she asked - I know quite a lot of people in Sanditon.
- I shall be glad to see all your friends, but I am most interested in the Parker brothers - said Broome - whom you met at the Ball. The younger brother's face looks vaguely familiar, but I can't remember how I knew him.
- Oh no, you were mistaken, Mr. Sidney Parker is not Junior, he is a middle brother - answered Charlotte with smile - younger brother's name is Arthur, and still they have sister Diana.
- Really? - Broome asked - can I meet Mr. Parker, then?
- Mr. Sidney Parker is out of town - Charlotte said, her voice a little shaky - But Mr. Tom and Mr. Arthur are here, and I'll be happy to introduce them to you.
- I accept your offer - with a smile he said - I'm all yours at any time when you want.
Charlotte smiled and looked down. Broome looked at her carefully. The change in her voice and the slight flush on her cheeks gave him rich food for thought.
- Will lady Worcester come down to us? - Broome asked.
- No, she ordered lunch at her apartment - answered Charlotte - Lady Susan has a terrible headache, I think we unlikely will see her in the evening. But I will definitely visit her later.
- Maybe you can give me a tour, since we're alone - he said, smiling - and I'd like to know what else your Sanditon can surprise me with.
- Oh, there are a lot of interesting things here - Charlotte became animated - you have already seen the arena, shooting and new houses for tenants, Dr. Fuchs ' showers, looked at the beach and bathing machines, what else can I surprise you with? Oh, Yes, there are wonderful parks, an Assembly, incredibly delicious buns in a nearby bakery, a very nice Church, and then there is the forest, the river and...hills that offer a magnificent view of the sea and the surrounding area..
- You're obviously very fond of Sanditon - Broome said.
- Yes, you are right - answered Charlotte - it is forever in my heart.
- Tell me about the local society - Broome said.
- With whom would I start - smiling began Charlotte - i'll start perhaps with Lady Denham, she is Grand Madam of Sanditon and chief investor, her house you perhaps saw when drove up here - saying this she looked at him, and he nodded her in the answer, confirming correctness her words - Lady Esther-niece Lady Denham, her husband Lord Babbington and his sister Augusta...
- Babbington? - asked Broome - is he here, too? I know him, had a chance to study together, very kind and nice guy, despite the fact that  he is Lord.
- The Parker family - Charlotte continues - we've already talked about them, the older brother has a wife, Mary, and they have four children. And Mrs. Griffiths and her three charges. Sanditon's society is not very numerous, but it is very interesting.
Broome smiled back at her.

- Miss Heywood, thank god I found you - said Tom, coming up to their table - I'm sorry, I must have interrupted your lunch.
- Oh, no, it's all right, Mr. Parker - said Charlotte, her voice full of excitement, her eyes fixed on Tom - is something wrong?
- No, it's all right - said Tom - I just found out about lady Worcester's arrival and wanted to pay my respects to Her.
Charlotte breathed a sigh of relief, but when she saw Broome looking at her intently, she looked down in confusion.
- Mr. Tom Parker, the town planner of Sanditon, and Lord Broome, a great friend of lady Worcester, came with Her to visit us - Charlotte said.
The gentlemen greeted each other.
- It is a pleasure - said Tom - to welcome such distinguished guests as you and Lady Worcester.
- Thank you - said Broome - would you like to sit down?
- Oh, Yes, of course, thank you - said Tom, sitting down at the table with them - how long do you plan to stay with us, Lord Broome?
-  At least a few days - Broome said - I was just going to ask miss Heywood How you spend your time here.
- To be honest - Tom said - there was so much work to do before the tournament that I didn't have time to think about entertainment.
- Mr. Parker is right - said Charlotte - but we were invited to dinner at Lady Denham's last week.
- What do you say we have a picnic together?-  Broom suggested - on the beach... or on the riverbank.. Miss Heywood told me what wonderful places there are in Sanditon.
- Oh, this is fine - enthusiastically responded Tom - I think everyone will like this idea.
The men began discussing the planned picnic. Charlotte hardly listened to them, thinking of Sidney. It had been several days since his departure, but she had not heard any word from him. Her heart was breaking with longing and expectation of the unknown.
- Miss Heywood, will you come with us? - Broome asked, but seeing her puzzlement, he added - Mr. Parker invited us to tea.
- Oh, Yes, of course - she said, smiling.
- In that case, I'll leave a note for lady Worcester in case She's looking for us - Broome said with a smile, and left the room.
- Mr. Parker, is there any news of your brother from London? - Charlotte asked angrily as she waited for Lord Broome to come out.
It was obvious that she was extremely agitated. Tom opened his eyes wide in response and covered his mouth with his hand, further frightening Charlotte.
- What is it? - she said faintly, and stopped breathing.
- God, Charlotte, I'm sorry, I really forgot - Tom said - I got a letter from Sidney yesterday morning, and he managed to sort it out, and he'll be back soon. He told me to tell you not to worry. And I completely forgot.
Charlotte inhaled sharply and loudly when she finally understood the meaning of his words. "God, he just forgot, forgot, and I thought... "
- All right, everything's settled, we can go - with smile said Broome approaching to Tom and Charlotte and offering her its elbow - Miss Heywood.
Charlotte stood up, still trying to regain her composure. Tom got up, too, and they went together to Trafalgar house.