Despite everything

The living room was filled with people. Noisy gentlemen and elegant ladies, resplendent with their dresses and jewelry, turned this large and beautiful house into a real carnival of colors and sounds. As he stared intently into the crowd, Sidney felt both alarmed and elated at what was coming.
He saw Georgiana and Arthur chatting merrily by the pillars, and Diana watching them irritably. The Babbingtons, accompanied by Crowe and Augusta, had also arrived. Mrs. Griffiths and her charges sailed past Sidney. Reverend Hankins bowed to him and followed the ladies. Sidney searched desperately for Charlotte, but there was no sign of her.
Lady Worcester, accompanied by Lord Broome and the courtiers, entered the Hall amid a burst of applause. Sidney bowed in greeting and eagerly continued his search.
- Sidney! Dear, I thought you were avoiding me - he heard Eliza's voice behind him - I missed you so much.
He looked around sharply and saw her. Eliza, smiling at him, came closer and put her hand on his forearm and kissed him on the cheek. Sidney recoiled from her, taking a step back, and out of the corner of his eye saw the silhouette of the one he'd been looking for all evening. Turning, he saw Charlotte's tearful eyes staring straight at him. She made him determined.
- Eliza - he said, turning to her - I'm glad you came. We need to have a serious conversation.
- Of course, my dear - she said with a smile, pleased with the result.
- Let's go - said Sidney, holding out his elbow.
Smiling, Eliza followed him into the hall.

Charlotte took a deep breath, desperately trying not to cry. As soon as she entered the room, she saw Sidney and Eliza. Mrs. Campion touched him and kissed him tenderly on the cheek. Charlotte's heart began to beat uneasily, making it difficult to breathe, and tears rose treacherously to her eyes. Sidney turned and looked directly at her, then offered Eliza his hand and disappeared into the back of the room. Charlotte's heart was breaking with resentment and pain. She had expected a fight with Mrs. Campion, but not this one. Charlotte started to run, feeling an incredible urge to leave the room at once, but a warm, soft hand that gently took hers stopped her flight.
She looked up at her sister, searching for understanding and support.
- Perhaps all is not as it looks at first glance - Allison said calmly - you must trust him, Charlotte.
- You're right - she said softly, beginning to recover from what she'd seen.
- The Babbingtons are coming with Augusta and another gentleman - Allison said.
Charlotte took a deep breath, shook herself, and turned to her friends with a smile.
The Babbingtons and Augusta were the first to greet the Heywood sisters. Allison and Charlotte curtsied.
- Who is this spellbinding creature?-  exclaimed Crowe, looking at Allison without hesitation.
- This is miss Heywood - Babbington said.
- I'm not stupid enough not to recognize miss Heywood - Crowe interrupted - and I'm certainly not that drunk. And then today, she's not wearing a mask.
Charlotte smiled at the memory of his awkwardness at the ball in London, but said nothing, allowing Babbington to finish the task he had begun.
- No. Let me introduce you, Miss Allison Heywood - Babbington said - and this is Mr. Francis Crowe.
At the sound of his name, Crowe made a slight grimace and frowned at Babbington, but at the same moment returned to the younger Miss Heywood and made her a greeting bow. Allison curtsied in response.
- Did you also decide to leave Willingden after your sister, Miss Heywood ? -  Crowe asked, still staring at her.
-  Yes - a little embarrassed she answered - Charlotte invited me to the tournament.
- Sanditon is not the best choice of place - said Crowe - it is insanely boring here, if it were not for the tournament, you could die just from the fact that nothing is happening around. Here in Willingden, I've heard of ladies playing cricket.
- Let me disagree with you, Mr. Crowe - seriously told Allison - bored somewhere or not depends only on us, sometimes good books and good conversation enough to brighten up the most dreary place.
Crowe raised his eyebrows slightly and looked into Allison's eyes. Babbington thought his friend was surprised.
- You're very Mature for such a young girl - Сrowе said - I take my hat off to you, Miss Hеywood. Willingden is truly a storehouse of talent.
Charlotte smiled and looked at her sister.
Allison blushed and lowered her eyes in embarrassment.
- How lovely, she's embarrassed - not holding back, said Сrowе - I was beginning to think that this is not in honor now.
Crow was looking directly at her. Something about Allison made him look back at her again and again. Her deep, intelligent eyes, her wise judgment, and even the embarrassment his well-deserved compliments had caused her, had kindled an interest in him that he had not felt for a very long time.
- Leave Miss Heywood alone - Babington said - or she'll think it's all bullies.
Esther laughed.
- Offer to go to the music room, and maybe even to dance - she said smiling - if of course no one is against it.
- Of course no one is against it - Augusta exclaimed, taking the other hand his brother offered her - Charlotte, Allison, are you coming with us?
- Of course - Charlotte said with a smile.
- Ladies..  - said Crowe, raising her elbows a bit - I'll take you.
- Thank you, Mr. Crowe - Charlotte said, taking the hand he offered her - my sister and I will be very happy.
Allison took his arm carefully, not daring to look at him again. She had never been open enough to new people, but this man was both interesting and incredibly embarrassing.
On the way to the music hall, Charlotte scanned the crowd, hoping to catch a glimpse of Sidney. A moment later, she recognized her favorite profile. There he is, next to Mrs. Campion. Charlotte's heart sank and her breathing became difficult. And then, as if sensing her gaze, he turned and looked straight at her. For a split second Sidney smiled, giving Charlotte the chance to be happy.