I wasn't expecting this

He watched as Georgiana chatted gaily with a handsome young man who was clearly attracted to her. She, in turn, smiled very warmly and sincerely, answering his jokes. At last the man rose, took his leave, and went downstairs, leaving Georgiana in the care of Arthur and Tom, who were happily discussing what was going on in the arena, and paying no attention at all to Miss lamb. This was his chance, not to be missed. He got up, walked quietly to Georgiana, and sat down on the bench next to her. She stared at the arena, where Lord Broome had just entered to a loud ovation, and did not notice His presence. He reached out and touched her shoulder. Startled, Georgiana spun around and stared at him, her eyes wide with surprise.
She was silent, completely speechless, and slowly looked at him, not knowing what to do next. She suddenly wished that Broome was with her now, sparing her the difficult choices and decisions. Finally recovering, Georgiana pulled away from him and looked around for support. Arthur and Tom, who were sitting in front of them, continued their conversation without seeing or hearing anything around them.
- What are you doing here? - she asked - why did you come here?
He took a deep breath and looked at her.
- I thought you'd be happy to see me - he said - but I guess I was wrong.
- What did you expect after what happened? - she asked - tell me, Otis! You almost ruined me because of your stupidity and vanity.
- I didn't mean it, you know. - Otis pleased - and I'm terribly sorry for everything I did. If only I could take it all back.
-But you can't - she said sternly - the time has passed and the Georgiana who loved you and whom you betrayed no longer exists. She's not coming back, Otis, do you hear? Never.
- If you would only give me one more chance - he said - just one more chance, perhaps you would understand that I have truly repented and changed for you.
- You've never done anything for me - she said with a bitter grin - you've always taken care of yourself, opened all the doors, used my name to cover your gambling debts, and sunk ever lower to the bottom of the abyss. This is not love, Otis! I don't know what it is, but it's definitely not love.
- You came along when I was very lonely and took advantage of it - Georgiana continued angrily - Sidney warned me and I didn't listen. You made me think of him as an enemy, and all he wanted to do was save me from disappointment and shame.
- You don't even want to give me a chance? - he asked hopefully.
-  I thought a lot  about it - she said - I was full of doubts, memories of the past. But no, I can't do that, I can't be near you again. We are strangers, and I don't feel safe. I'm sorry, but it won't work.
He sighed mournfully and seemed to droop, turning for a moment into a small, offended boy.
- That's not the answer I was counting on - he admitted.
- I'm sorry, Otis - Georgiana said - but this is all I can offer you. I don't understand why you came here. I didn't answer any of your letters, wasn't that enough for you?
- I have come to warn you of the danger - Otis replied - and I have learned that this scoundrel Howard is going to Sanditon. His servant had blabbed at the Inn. I've been keeping an eye on him since you were kidnapped, and now I finally get the chance.
- What? What do you know about him?  - Georgiana asked with undisguised interest.
- He was pretty drunk, but he was always talking about some girl and Mr. Parker. I thought it might be you, and the next morning I took the first post-chaise to Sanditon.
- Did he say what they were going to do? Anything specific? - she asked again.
- You don't seem surprised at all - Otis said thoughtfully, and looked at Miss lamb.
Georgiana heaved a sigh.
- Not really. I know he was supposed to come - she replied - but I can only guess why.
- The servant said something about a rich widow - Otis remembered - who would pay handsomely for that wretched girl to disappear. But I have no idea who she is or what she has against you.
- It's not about me, it's about Charlotte - Georgiana said.
-  Charlotte Heywood? - He asked - what's she got to do with it?
- It's a long story - Georgiana said, glancing at the arena. She had missed the contest because of her conversation with Otis, and now she was sorry - he said anything else?
- Nothing else - Otis said.
- I'm sorry - said Broome, who had come up with him quietly - I'm Sorry to interrupt, but are you sure you don't need my help, Miss lamb?
Georgiana looked confused and jumped up from her seat.
- Who are you? -   Otis asked, suddenly emboldened, the jealousy that had been building in him all this time taking its toll - and why are you even interfering in someone else's conversation?
Georgiana opened her mouth, but Broome beat her to it.
- I am Miss lamb's escort, Lord Broome - he replied calmly, managing to conceal his agitation from the others - I take it you're Mr. Molineux?
- That's right - with the call was answered by Otis - this is a private conversation, and it's none of your business.
- I'm sorry, but I can't agree, I'm here on behalf of her guardian - Mr. Parker - Broome said -
and I can only leave her if she wants to.
- She already wants you to leave - Otis said, coming out to meet Broome - we've done wonderfully well without you.
Broome turned and looked at Georgiana, who was looking from him to Otis. She was clearly agitated, trying to make the right decision.
She took a deep breath and glanced at Otis.
- I want you to stay, Lord Broome - Georgiana said.
- As you wish, Miss lamb - said Broome.
- Thank you for your help, Mr Molyneux - said Georgiana - I am very grateful to you for your information. I have been very clear on all other matters, and I hope there will be no more misunderstandings between us.
Her whole demeanor, attitude, and tone indicated that their conversation was over.
- Of course, miss lamb - Otis said in a low voice - Have a nice day.
He nodded to Georgiana and Lord Broome and ran down the stairs, trying not to look back.
Georgiana watched him go and looked around the box, unable to return to Broome. For some reason, she felt ashamed and uncomfortable, as if she had not met his expectations.
Sitting in front of them Tom and Arthur turned around and watched with interest for what is happening. They finally came to their senses and congratulated Lord Broome on his victory, saving Georgiana the trouble of asking stupid questions.
Broome accepted the congratulations and, with all his usual grace, freed himself from the Parker brothers and returned to Georgiana, who sat watching him, trembling with excitement.
- Let me congratulate you, Lord Broome - Georgiana managed to say - I hope the fight didn't tire you out too much.
- Thank you - he said, studying her carefully - I'll be absolutely fine.
The appearance of Otis made miss lamb feel guilty, there was no reason for it, but the feeling suddenly came over Her, and she could not get over it.
He paused, not wanting to press her with questions, but there was an agitation and anxiety that made his heart beat faster. Broome had never considered himself jealous, had even despised the feeling, but now it reached out its cold hands to him, making him worry and doubt himself. He knew that Mr. Molyneux had played too large a part in Georgiana's life, and this knowledge did not give him any peace.
- Otis found out about Howard and just wanted to warn me - Georgiana said apologetically.
- You don't need to explain anything to me, Miss lamb - Broome said, smiling.
She looked at him, feeling a chill of alienation run down her spine. His feelings were clearly hurt, and Georgiana sensed it subconsciously. She had to do something; Otis couldn't ruin her whole life again.
- But I want to! - she exclaim - I must explain everything, I don't want any secrets between us. I have nothing to hide from you.
He smiled, thawing slightly, and took her hand gently.
- In that case, I'm listening carefully, Georgiana - he said.