Are you looking forward to the ball?

The gentle sun lit up the room, peering into every nook and cranny. She opened her eyes, glad of the new day, and stretched sweetly, burying herself in the blanket again. It was the first ball of her life. Like any girl, she felt an incredible excitement and a premonition of something unusual and perhaps even magical. Allison had never believed in fairy tales, but being in this beautiful house made her feel like a Princess.
The only thing that marred the day was her sister. Charlotte felt incredibly agitated and anxious, and this upset her sister more than ever. Today she and Mr. Parker would have to face a serious test, and Allison intended to help them in any way she could.
There was a knock on the door, and a moment later Charlotte's smiling face appeared in the doorway.
- Ready for your first big ball? - she asked - it's not going to be the same as in Willingden.
- I know - Allison said - All these strangers, all looking at you.
- Yes - agreed Charlotte - at first it's a little scary, and then you get used to it and stop paying attention.
- I'll try not to disappoint you - Allison said.
- Oh, no - answered Charlotte - you will never disappoint me. Will you dance tonight?
- I'm not sure that anyone will invite me - Allison replied sadly - there will be so many beautiful and elegant ladies.
- Honey, trust me, you will be the best there - with a smile said Charlotte - and no one can resist you.
- You're exaggerating - Allison said, a little embarrassed.
- I always say only truth - confidently told Charlotte - you still not seen dress, that I have prepared for you. Get up quickly and let's go to breakfast, we still have a lot to do today.
Allison nodded happily and slid out of bed to get dressed and start a new day.

He read the letter again and put it aside. His tea was almost cold, but after finishing it, Sidney got up from the table, intending to leave the house before the rest of the household was awake, but he did not succeed.
- You're early today - said Arthur, entering the living room - I thought Diana and I were going to have breakfast alone.
- I still have a lot to do today - Sidney said dryly as he prepared to go into the hall.
- It's good to have you here, Sidney - said Diana - I have so much to tell you about our aunt.
- I don't think this is a good time for that - Sidney said, aware that he was getting irritated.
- Why? - Diana asked, surprised - You'll have time to listen to me.
Sidney frowned and looked at his sister.
- You really want me to have a headache from all these thoughts - she said resentfully - you should feel sorry for my nerves, you know what my poor health is. Arthur, tell him.
- Sidney, really - said Arthur good-naturedly - it's hard for you to pay attention to your sister, especially since it's been so long since you've seen her.
Diana pretended that she was going to cry, and Sidney had no choice but to sit down again with them at the table to listen for an hour about the health of their dearest aunt.

She was beside herself with rage. Her triumphant return to Sanditon, so long delayed by cargo problems, did not turn out as she had expected.
The apartment she had taken in advance was occupied by a gentleman, and Eliza had no choice but to move into a small room in the hotel. It was humiliating, but she was too proud to address the Parkers.
Sidney did not meet her at Sanditon as she had requested, and did not reply to her letter. Her fiance hadn't obeyed her, and she wasn't going to let it go. It was time to remind him of his part of the deal and point out his place to Sidney Parker. For Eliza Campion, money had long been everything or almost everything, and she had no doubt that the Parkers would soon be at her mercy again.
She looked at herself in the mirror, and satisfied with what she saw, she glanced at the gorgeous dress that was already ready for the exit. The most influential widow in England was ready for the ball and was going to shine at it.

She set the mug of still-hot tea on the table and looked at the two ladies sitting opposite her.
- Well? Are you looking forward to the ball? - she asked - it's going to be quite noisy.
- Yes, Lady Denham - said Charlotte - thank you for allowing us to stay in your beautiful home.
- And you, miss Heywood - said the Lady, addressing Allison - what do you say?
- I'm a little worried - Allison admitted.
- You are very frank - said Lady Denham, with a faint smile - but I will tell you a secret, before my first ball I trembled like an aspen leaf.
- I can't imagine that - Allison said honestly.
- We were all young and stupid once - said the Lady, looking at Allison- your sister is more sophisticated than you are, and she understands me better, doesn't you, Miss Haywood?
- I don't think I'm wise or experienced enough to do that - Charlotte said, confused.
Lady Denham only narrowed her eyes slyly and continued.
- The last lady who went to the ball from this house soon enough and married well - she said - so you young ladies have a good chance, too.
Charlotte blushed and lowered her eyes in embarrassment; Allison only glanced shyly at the Lady.
- You see, Miss Heywood - said Lady Denham - your elder sister understands me perfectly.
Allison looked at Charlotte, sipped the hot drink from her Cup, and smiled at Lady Denham.
The door opened and a servant appeared.
- What is it? - asked the landlady sternly.
- Mr. Parker came to see you, my Lady - the servant replied.
- Which one? - she asked irritably.
- Mr. Sidney Parker - the servant corrected.
- Ask him to come in - said Lady Denham, softening a little. She got up from the table and went to meet her guest.
- Lady Denham - said Sidney, entering the room and bowing to his hostess.
- Mr. Parker - she said.
Sidney looked around and saw the sisters still sitting at the table, peacefully drinking tea.
- Miss Hеywood - he said, bowing.
- Mr. Parker - they said, almost in unison.
- I'm sorry to interrupt your tea party, Lady Denham - Sidney said - but I received your note asking me to come today.
- That's right - said the Lady, squinting slightly - let's go to my office.
Lady Denham walked confidently to the inner door.
- I'm sorry - Sidney said. His gaze lingered on Charlotte as he followed the Lady out of the room.
The sisters looked at each other in bewilderment and continued their breakfast.