Change scene

Sidney breathed a sigh of relief, rolled up a sheet of paper, and laid it on the table. It was a letter from Mrs. Campion, telling him that she had to go to her parents' house as soon as possible, because her father was very sick and had fallen ill. Eliza did not know how long her absence would last, and he suddenly realized that by chance he had received a gift once he waited so long for -  time. The wedding was being postponed again, which meant that he had a slim chance of happiness.
Sidney looked out of the window. It was raining outside, and the rain was pounding loudly on the glass, making him think hard.
He urgently needed money, a lot of money, he submitted requests to all places known to him, used all his connections and waited with impatience and fear for at least some response. He was uneasy, remembered how after the fire he had received refusals wherever he went. As time passed, the chances of saving Tom faded. And now the fear began to creep closer again, and he was tormented by the thought that he would not have time to find the money and would lose Charlotte again and forever. These thoughts were unbearable, and he pushed them away as best he could.
Sydney looked out of the window again and thought of her, of her small but strong little girl. In the back of his mind, he hoped that somewhere out there, behind the gray curtain of rain, alone in this big, noisy city, she was also thinking about him. Sydney longed to see her, to read her thoughts, to tell her that all the days he had spent away from her had been the most bitter and unbearably long.
A loud shout from the coachman and the neighing of the horses brought Sydney back to reality, he was much surprised to see his brother's carriage stop at the door of the house, and a moment later Tom ran out of It, wrapped in his cloak and escaping from the raindrops under their own roof.
The door opened and Tom went inside, dusted himself off, hung up his coat, and only then notice his brother.
- Sidney, I'm glad you're home-  said Tom with  a smile, hugging brother - I need to talk to you.
Tom went inside, swearing at the damned rain that had been falling most of the time, the roads were muddy, and it had taken him too many time to get here.
Sidney watched his brother talking about the vagaries of the English weather and thought hard about the real purpose of his visit. "He needs money again. Again and again." Sidney took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a moment. All this reminded him of a vicious circle from which he could not get out.
-What's wrong, Tom? - Sidney asked in a flat voice, already knowing the answer to his question in the back of his mind.
- I have an idea - Tom began cheerfully, dancing around the room, waving his long arms and drinking from a newly poured wine glass - if I implement it, I can rent out all the ready-made guest houses in Sanditon, we can take a lot of money and pay back most of the debt, we've already restored most of it.
Sidney stared at his brother, genuinely not understanding this sudden burst of joy. He was wondering where he could get more money right now.
-What's the idea, Tom?-  Sidney asked, his voice already low.
- Oh, this is just an incredible idea -Tom smiled broadly and continued - I was prompted to this by children playing in the street. Do you remember how many people were attracted to us by the regatta?
- How can I forget?-  said Sidney, and smiled at the memory of Charlotte sitting next to him in the boat. The wind gently ruffled her dark curls, and she was as confused as he was. Her hands were cold with excitement, and he covered them with his own, wanting to warm her with his warmth. She couldn't handle the oars, but she would never give up and show anyone her weakness. Even then, looking into her beautiful eyes, he knew that he was deeply in love with her and would have given anything in the world to keep these beautiful moments alive.
- Well - said Tom, pulling Sydney out of the beautiful vision, "We have to hold a tournament !" What do you think, Sidney?
- Tournament? - asked Sidney.
- Yes, Yes, it is a tournament! Jousting tournament! - Tom said enthusiastically: horse racing, archery and shotguns, fisticuffs...and.. and perhaps a boat race. There will be a lot of people who want to see it, I'm sure - Tom persisted - I've thought everything through to the smallest detail, don't worry.
-How much money do you need? - Sidney asked, unable to immediately calculate the size of the impending disaster.
- I don't need money - drawling words happily spoken Tom and widely smiled - I already agreed with Babbington, now, having got married with Esther Denham he is interested in development Sanditon too. You know, he liked my idea, it seems he became softer and pliable, when married.
Sidney opened his mouth in surprise. Tom didn't ask for anything. For the first time in several years. He just shared his joy with him. Sydney breathed a sigh of relief for the second time that day and thought that maybe everything was better than he had thought since morning and even this damned rain would not spoil anything.
-Then what help do you need from me? Go ahead, I'm all yours! - He suddenly felt better and wanted to help his brother with all his heart.
- That's where your friend should come into play - Tom said.
Suddenly there was a knock on the door and Tom jumped up joyfully and hurried to the door, telling Sydney with a smile:
-And it's probably him.
Tom opened the door and Babbington stood in the doorway, brushing the rain from his top hat.
- Wacky weather - he grumbled, then looked up and added cheerfully - greetings, gentlemens -
Sydney and Tom greeted Babbington in return.
-Would you like a drink? - Sidney asked.
- Yes, I'd love to, damn it - Babbington said - I had to leave Esther at home alone. Well, nothing, maybe it's for the best.
- So what help do you need from me?"  Sidney asked, smiling for the second time. He began to be amused by the situation.
- Same as last time with the regatta - Tom said solemnly- we're going to the ball! - he made a bow, waved his hand in the direction of Babbington, passing him the thread of the conversation and happily danced up to the 2nd floor.
- So we're going to the ball - Sidney said, mimicking Tom.
Babbington smiled and sipped from his glass.
- Yes, to a masquerade ball where the Prince Regent is rumored to be present - Babbers said, smiling - this is a real chance for Tom, Sidney - and then added - and for you.
- For me? -  asked Sidney.
- Yes, that's exactly, for you - said Babbington, handing the invitation to the ball for the Parker's family. Sidney glanced at it and was stunned to realize that the ball would be held under the patronage of Lady Susan, which meant that...
- She'll definitely be there, Sidney - babbington said, almost in a whisper, as if reading his mind.
-She? he asked incredulously - who is she?
- Yes, she - Charlotte! - said Babbington -  we already saw her in another reception, frankly Sydney, now she's just charming and if I hadn't loved my wife - started it, but decided to stop, realizing that Sidney looks up at him with bulging eyes in surprise.
- Don't look at me like that - Babbington went on - I'm not blind, and I saw what was going on between you at the ball, the way you looked at her, and the way she kept her eyes on you, it wasn't just a game, I know. Your engagement to Eliza confused me and I'm tangled. But after that wild trick of yours in the Smoking room, my doubts were dispelled again - Babbers laughed - Crowe was so scared, said he wouldn't get closer than 10 meters to baby Haywood.
- Sidney, Tom knows everything too, Mary told him everything - continued Babbington - he came to me with his idea. Tom is very worried about you and wants to help, as I do, so we all started this.
Sidney couldn't believe what he was hearing. His friend and his brother knew about his feelings and he no longer had to pretend or hide anything. He was so relieved that he seemed to be able to breathe deeply again. He wanted to cry and laugh at the same time.
Sidney poured them both a glass and they drank.
- I wanted to ask her to marry me at the ball - said Sidney, unwilling to keep it to himself any longer - but Edward came and we did....
- I remember - said Babbington, patting his friend on the shoulder -thank you for helping me protect Esther from him then. She's the most valuable person in my life. Now I'm in your debt.
- I never had time to say how much I love her - in the hearts of Sydney said - I regret every day that I could not tell her all this...
- Perhaps you still have a chance - with a smile said Babbington - pointing look for a ticket - don't miss it!!! I must go, Esther does not like to be alone for long.
- I'll see you to the door - said Sidney, and walked with him to the door, thinking to himself that at last he had a hope of meeting with Charlotte, for whom his heart yearned.
- Thank you for everything - he said, and held out his hand to Babbington.
Babs silently shook his hand in return and, smiling, went out the door.
Sidney looked out into the street and realized to his surprise that the rain had stopped and the sun was beginning to show through the clouds. He thought again that this was a very good day.

#Sanditon #Sanditonfanfiction