A chance of happiness

He stared at the road leading to Sanditon. Since the morning, a vague uneasiness and foreboding had not left him. Common sense told him to pull himself together and not panic, but it didn't help him calm down. He ruffled his hair nervously and looked away again. The road was completely deserted. His heart was pounding like crazy, and to balance himself, he began to pace the area at the entrance to the arena.
- It's too early to start getting nervous, - said Arthur calmly, taking a big bite out of his rather appetizing ham sandwich, - and don't go back and forth at all, it tires me out.
Tom turned and looked at his brother.
- How can you even eat at a time like this? What's the matter with you?- said Tom, who had managed to get his modest Breakfast into his mouth in his excitement - It can change our lives. Don't you understand?
- Oh, no, on the contrary, I understand perfectly - said Arthur with a smile and, waving the remains of the sandwich at him, added - so I must be ready. Why are we here so early, anyway? There's hardly anyone here yet. Besides, Diana and Mary will have to travel alone.
- Diana could come with us - Tom said dryly.
- She was waiting for Dr. Fuchs to let her go outside - said Arthur, chuckling.
- Our poor sister - Tom said sadly - she has such a poor health.
- Poor Dr. Fuchs - said Arthur - I love our sister very much, but I don't think our dear doctor knows what to expect yet.
Tom grinned and nodded back.
- Where's Sidney? - he asked, beginning to pace again.
- I am sure that he has something to do now - with a smile he answered - are you not read Newspapers?
Tom looked at him in disbelief, not knowing what he was talking about.
- I thought so - he said, and reached for the picnic basket next to the bench he was sitting on - So i took it with me.
Slowly, he pulled out a folded newspaper and handed it to Tom.
- I can't read anything right now - Tom said.
He was too worried to focus on anything at all.
- I'm sure it'll cheer you up, - said Arthur, smiling broadly - but you'd better sit down.
Tom unwillingly unfolded the newspaper and sat down on the bench next to Arthur, reading on the page where his brother had indicated.
When he reached the announcement of the tournament, his eyes sparkled and his mood instantly improved. He was pleased. All London knows about the sanditon tournament, and soon all high society will be in this arena.
- Splendid! Splendid! That's what we were counting on!
- Read on, Tom! - Arthur said, lovingly unwrapping the second sandwich that Mary had so carefully prepared.
Tom went back to reading, but soon came across an ad that made him reread it several times.
He stared at his brother in surprise, still unable to believe what he had seen with his own eyes.
- But how can it be... ? - he muttered, and gripped the bench with both hands to steady himself as he looked at Arthur.
He smiled back and ate his sandwich with relish.

- Do we have to do this right now? - Charlotte asked - Tom must be very excited and waiting for us.
- Please believe me, it's better this way - Sidney said seriously - I don't want any surprises. And I certainly don't want to repeat my own mistakes.
- Why the urgency? - Charlotte said - can't we wait until tomorrow?
- No - Sidney said shortly - I insist. Moreover, we have already arrived.
They went to the post office, and Charlotte waited patiently for Sidney to compose an engagement message to be sent to the Newspapers.
- That's it - he said, when he had finished - as I said it took no more than half an hour - it will be in all the London papers to-Morrow, and it will reach Sanditon the day after.
Charlotte smiled at Sidney, still unable to believe her luck. Looking now at her future husband, who was so determined to achieve his goal, she felt an incredible pride in her chosen one, not for a moment regretting her decision.
- I think We should take the carriage - Sidney said, opening the door and letting Charlotte go first. We should have been here a long time ago.
- I suppose you are right - Charlotte agreed.

The sun was already high on the horizon when Tom, exhausted at last, sat down on the bench next to Arthur.
The beach and the area around the arena came to life, people filled this small colorful corner, which had seemed so deserted to the Parkers in the morning.
Colorful tents offering guests numerous Souvenirs, sweets, fabrics, ribbons, hats, toys, and other necessary and unnecessary things opened their arms to all the guests of Sanditon.
Playing music and frolicking children created an incredibly high mood and holiday atmosphere.
Children's competitions have already started, giving a countdown to the beginning of the most important event in the entire history of Sanditon.
Sidney and Charlotte were still out of sight, and Tom was very sad. Despite the fact that everything was really ready, Tom could not get himself together. Stringer, who had arrived at the arena more than an hour ago, and Mary, who had recently arrived with the children and Diana, tried to cheer him up as best they could, but they were not very successful. In the confusion, Tom had forgotten to tell Mary what he had read in the newspaper, and she was still in the dark.
The first high-ranking guests began to arrive and Tom's nerves gave way, and his strength left him completely. He sat on the edge of the bench and lowered his head.
- You haven't found the best time to take a NAP, Mr. Parker! -Lady Denham said in a quavering voice - if you are so bored here, what about the other guests?
Tom started and rose abruptly, somehow managing to stay on his feet, but, to his credit, quickly regained his composure.
- Lady Denham - he greeted the Grand lady, bowing respectfully - everything is ready, you can take your places of honor, or, if you wish, you can participate in the fair.
- That's the last thing I need - the Lady replied, frowning slightly.
- Lady Worcester, Lord Babbington, Lady Babbington, Augusta - Tom said cheerfully. Their appearance gave him strength.
They greeted Tom, Arthur, and Mary.
- You won't believe it, we have such news! - Augusta exclaim - Mr. Parker has proposed to Miss Haywood, and they will soon be married!!! Excuse me, I have to tell Georgiana and Mr. Stringer.
She smiled at everyone and ducked into the crowd of strolling guests.
- Augusta! -  Babbington shouted, but her sister was already gone.
- Well done, Sidney-laughing, said Arthur - this suits us!
- My God, is this True? - Mary said tearfully - but how is that possible? He was engaged.
- It's a very long story - Babbington said with a smile - and I think Sidney will tell you all about it when he gets here.
Tom and Mary looked at each other, still not believing in the reality of the situation.
- But he didn't tell us anything - Mary said.
- Believe me, it was as unexpected for both of them as it was for you - said Lady Wooster - but, as Lord Babbington said, it is a very long story.
- Which I don't intend to listen to standing up - Lady Denham said - Where is our box, Mr. Parker?
Oh, of course - emerged from the torpor That - come on, I'll show you! I have prepared the best seats for the entire company.
Lady Denham chuckled, raising her eyebrows in disbelief, but still followed Mr. Parker.