Please, believe me...

The warm sea breeze that a moment ago had caressed her face, as if maddened, flung the hat from her head with a sharp gust. Even now, tearful, dazed, and shocked by what she had just heard, Allison was so beautiful that Francis's breath caught in his throat and his legs went weak.
She turned to face him, hugging herself nervously, making Crowe wish that he had let her out of his arms a few minutes ago.
-  Can people be so evil? - Allison asked softly, looking up, and Francis saw tears at the corners of her eyes.
- Unfortunately, yes - he said  - But you don't have to worry, we'll get through this, but please don't run off on your own again. I can't stand it, you hear?
She looked at Crowe with wide, surprised eyes, hardly expecting such frankness from him.
- I didn't mean to startle you - a barely audible she whispered - I don't know what I wanted, I was just scared and lonely.
- Why didn't you wait for me?  he demanded.
- I ... I don't know - answered Allison - I really don't know, I wanted to rush down and protect you... but...
- What stopped you? - Francis asked.
- I didn't know if you needed it - she said - I'm still don't know.
- Do you doubt me? - Crowe asked, leaning a little closer to her, trying not to let his voice crack with excitement - or perhaps you doubt yourself?
These questions had been bothering him for a long time, but he didn't dare ask them. She was probably the purest creature in the world, and what could he offer her in return?
His reputation was not his strong point, drunken carousals, questionable women, idiotic antics at balls that he was madly regretting lately. What could he give her? Except for money and a better position in society. For many of the young ladies he knew, this was a definite plus, but Francis knew perfectly well that she had never been interested in it. Even with a fairly modest allowance, his beloved never looked at people as a source of income, and this fact greatly raised Allison in his eyes.
- No - she said firmly, wasting no time in thought - I don't have any doubts.
She looked at him so honestly and openly as she said these words that all the arguments he had previously made had lost all meaning for him.
- Allison - he began, his voice trembling and hoarse with excitement - I have to tell you the truth.
She tensed, instinctively clenching her hands into fists, straining to attention.
- Since I first saw you at Lady Denham's ball I can't find my place - Сrowе continued - this has never happened to me in my life, and I have no idea how to behave in such a situation. I know that I am far from ideal and have nothing to do with virtue, my reputation and my actions speak for themselves. Almost everything I did was selfish, frivolous, and reprehensible. It's true, and I can't hide it. But none of this matters if you believe in me.
She stared at him, not taking her eyes off him, both wanting and afraid to hear something that could change her life forever.
He moved closer to her and dropped to one knee.
- I love you, Allison Hеywood - Francis said - sincerely and honestly, as much as I can. I know I am not worthy of you, but I ask you to do me the honor of agreeing to be my wife.
For a moment there was an oppressive pause that seemed like an eternity to Сrowе. A whole host of thoughts and feelings almost carried him off his feet. He stared at her, not blinking, afraid to miss anything. She blushed and lowered her eyes in confusion, trying to collect her thoughts.
- Francis, I am. .. I love you, too - Allison began, and then, choking with her own excitement, she stopped to catch her breath, not daring to look at him. His heart raced, waiting for her answer. She took a deep breath and said - Yes... I agree to be your wife.
His face lit up with a happy and tender smile.
Francis stood up and took her hands. They were cold with excitement, and Сrowе could barely stop himself from scooping her up in his arms.
- You are the most incredible woman I have ever known - Francis said, his fingertips barely touching a strand of her hair that had escaped from its coiffure and now was being torn by the wind. He ran his fingers gently over her cheek. Allison's lashes lifted slowly, allowing him to sink into the warm depths of her eyes. Her happy smile and the flush on her cheeks spoke for themselves, she was happy.
Crowe's warm fingers touched her chin and lifted her face with a light movement. The desire to kiss her was so intense that Francis could hardly contain his impulses. Allison stared at him, also fighting the urge to touch his face. Her innate modesty and upbringing had not allowed her to dive into the maelstrom of her own feelings, which were tearing her young heart apart. Francis sighed and smiled at her, breaking her resistance with a sudden, unexpected for himself. Her slender hand shot up to touch his hair, which was raging in the wind. Then she slid down, as if exploring every curve of his face. He turned and touched his lips to her open palm.
Allison whispered, leaning forward to meet him. Her breathing was so fast and ragged that Crowe felt dizzy with excitement. The temptation was so great that he finally surrendered to his desires. Francis was well aware of the depth of his feelings for Allison, and he knew that now he was truly lost and that his life would never be the same again.
He leaned down and touched her warm lips to his, hoping that she would respond in kind. Allison flinched, frozen in place, but only for a second, as if deciding something, and then her hands were in his hair, and her lips parted to meet his kiss. Both were swept up in a powerful wave of tenderness and passion that neither of them even thought to resist. Crowe put his arm around her waist and held her as tightly as he could.
For a while they could not let go of each other, not wanting to part for a moment.
Allison pulled back, still breathing hard, and looked at Crowe.
- We can't do this, we're not married yet, and we're not even officially engaged - she said - This is all wrong
- Wrong - Francis agreed, touching her cheek - but tell me, did you not like it at all?
- I' m - she began hastily, but the embarrassment was so great that she blushed and was completely speechless.
- I liked it very much, too - he said in a whisper, leaning close to her ear, which sent a shiver down her spine - but if you insist, we'll tell everyone that we went to the beach and collected shells. I'm willing to train three or four pounds to be sure.
- Francis!  - Allison exclaimed, laughing, breaking the last barrier between them - you're making fun of me again.
- No, no, I'm absolutely serious - Crowe said, trying not to smile - if you want, we can get a whole cart. Let's borrow it from the workers, I saw one today at the bottom of the arena.
- Oh, Frances, you're just incorrigible - she said, smiling happily - what should I do with you?
- Love and never let go - he said, smiling back at her - this option will suit me perfectly.
-I can handle that - Allison said, taking his hands and burying her face in the collar of his shirt. Feeling her soft breath on his chest, Crowe suddenly felt like the happiest person in the world, only momentarily oblivious to what was happening around them. He leaned down and buried his face in her dark, soft curls.