I wasn't expecting this

Start from the beginning

He never liked the water, especially in the summer, the heat and a lot of people rushing here and there discouraged all the desire to go anywhere. Even now, as he sat in the carriage and watched the people walking around the arena, he shuddered with revulsion. He wiped his neck and forehead with a handkerchief, wishing he hadn't dressed so warmly. He didn't know if he was right to take this gamble, but the desire to get back at Sidney Parker and this black pride woman was so strong that he did not resist, especially since there was a lot of money at stake, which allowed him to live comfortably for a while. However, being far from a stupid fellow, Howard could not help but be aware of the fact that if he failed, he could face both jail and the gallows. He shook his head, pushing away the mournful thoughts, and leaned out of the carriage, trying to see in the crowd of wandering guests his servant, who had faithfully served him for more than 15 years and willingly participated in any of his Affairs.
Looking around, he straightened up abruptly when he saw one of the men accompanying Parker to the ball, and hit his head on the carriage window frame. Cursing loudly, he stuck his head back in and continued to watch. The gentleman got out of his carriage and held out his hand to a beautiful red-haired lady, and then to a second, younger companion. They walked slowly to the arena, greeting the idlers, and disappeared through the main gate. Howard chuckled to himself, imagining what he could do with these charming ladies, and rubbed his greasy, plump hands maliciously.
- Sir!  - Garling snapped him out of his reverie -we found out everything. There's a rowing race tomorrow, all the Parkers are listed as participants, and so are his friends Crowe and Babbington. So they won't be a problem.
- Tomorrow is our day, Garling - He said - Tomorrow Sidney Parker will find out how much a pound is worth.
- As you say, Mr. Howard - the servant agreed.
- Where's that weasel Cooper? - Howard asked - how long can I wait for him, the heat is killing me.
- He said he'd stay here to get more information - Garling said - but I wouldn't trust him much if I were you. He is a godless drinker and can talk too much. It wasn't for nothing that Beecroft got rid of him.
- You're always panicking, Garling - Howard said - there aren't many people who would take such a gamble, and we're lucky to have found him. Cooper is a very useful fellow, and who doesn't drink? I wouldn't mind a port or a brandy, either.
- It will be done, Sir - Garling said - as soon as we get back. The hostess said that a Royal dinner will be waiting for you.
Howard chuckled contentedly and stroked his stomach.
- Let's get out of here before I melt in this heat - he ordered, wiping his sweaty face and thick neck with his handkerchief again.
Garling nodded and walked around to the driver's side of the carriage. The horses moved off, taking their fat passenger to a much more pleasant place.

He watched the carriage drive away, not knowing what to do. Follow Howard or find Mr. Parker.
Otis was incredibly upset by the conversation with Georgiana, in his heart he still hoped to get through to her and regain such a valuable favor for him. It was only today that he realized that Georgiana was lost to him forever, and that another man had taken her place in her heart. The looks they gave each other told him more than a thousand words could have done.
Frustrated, he went down from the podium, looking unseeingly at this undoubtedly beautiful and interesting place, and suddenly came across a familiar face, the same Cooper from whom he accidentally learned about Howard's plans. Not wanting to give himself away, Otis hid behind the other gentlemen and listened intently.
- Tomorrow is the most convenient time - Cooper said to the tall gentleman with a sullen expression on his face - We'll have a head start, no one knows we're here, Garling.
The other nodded stiffly, without saying a word.
- I'll stay here for a while - Cooper continue - maybe I can dig up something interesting. You can tell Howard that tomorrow his wishes will come true. And you and me, too.
Garling nodded again and left the arena without a word. Otis, in turn, also followed him, leaving Cooper to continue to mull over their dirty work. He had known him as Beecroft's servant, and even then he was disgusted with Him. Cooper was a terrible, unprincipled man, and Otis hoped that together they could stop him.
He had to find Parker and tell him everything. Having lost Georgiana, he still retained a vestige of pride and honor, and intended to pay Parker back for what he had done. Sidney got Otis out of debtors ' prison, even though he could happily dance on his bones. This Mr. Molyneux will never forget. For the first time in his life, he was sincerely offered a helping hand, without asking for anything in return. And who? A man who should have hated him with every fiber of his being.
Now, as he watched the carriage drive away, Otis made up his mind to find Mr. Parker and warn him of the danger. He turned around and went a decisive step in the direction of the arena. But his journey was short.
- Otis?  - he heard a surprised, familiar voice and turned sharply to meet it.
Directly behind him stood Charlotte and Sydney, followed by a lanky boy and two fair-haired girls.
- Mr. Molineux? - Mr. Parker asked - what wind brought you here?
Sidney didn't hate him, but he didn't want Otis to break into Georgiana's life again, turn everything upside down.
- I'm here to give you information - Otis said.
- Have you seen Georgiana yet? - Charlotte asked impatiently.
- What kind of information?  - interrupted her, Sidney.
Otis was momentarily confused, not knowing who to answer first.
- Yes, I've spoken to her, miss Haywood - he said to Charlotte, then turned to Sidney and added - I have information about Howard and his men. I can help you. I think they want to do something at the regatta tomorrow.
Sidney and Charlotte looked at each other in disbelief and then back at Otis.
- But how? - Charlotte asked.
- I'll explain - Otis said.
- Phillip, could you take the girls to the main box and stay there with my brothers until we get there? - Sidney asked - just be very careful, you're their protector now.
- Of course I can - Phillip said happily, feeling that he had been entrusted with a great responsibility - I'll do my best, Mr. Parker.
He took the girls by the hand and led them through the main gate.
It took Otis a good fifteen minutes to explain how he got here and what information he had. When he had finished, he looked at Sidney carefully, as if waiting for his verdict.
- Thank you, Mr. Molyneux - he said at last - your help is most welcome.
Otis gave a curt nod of acknowledgment.
- May I ask what the meeting is about? - Crowe said.
Everyone turned at the sound of his voice. Charlotte and Sidney were relieved to see Allison standing next to him, holding his hand. Charlotte looked at her sister, feeling that something had happened during their absence, but she only smiled sheepishly and lowered her eyes.
- Mr. Crowe - Sidney said - this is Otis Molyneux, and he has information about Howard that will be very useful to us.
- I've heard a lot about you, Mr. Molyneux - Crowe said, looking at the other man carefully, finally extending his hand - I'm glad you've joined us.

#Sanditon #Sidlotte #Sanditonfanfiction