Please, believe me...

Start from the beginning

- Charlotte wait - almost begged Sidney - forgive me, I was wrong.
She spun around and glared at him, reminding Sidney of the scolding they'd given each other after Georgiana and Otis had secret's met.
- When were you going to tell me? - she exclaimed, kicking the sand so hard that it splattered all over Sidney's black trousers, but he didn't even notice it - When I would have come face-to-face with him, or Georgiana, or  Allison maybe? . What were you thinking, Sidney?
She kicked the sand again and growled something to herself.
- I was thinking of you, Charlotte - he said firmly - and of all those who might have suffered at the hands of Howard and his men.
- I found out about it only last night from Crowe, the messenger brought the letter when I was talking to your father - Sidney continued, not taking his eyes off her - I would tell you, but not now, when I'll know something.
- My God, Sidney - Charlotte said, almost bursting out - why do you always decide everything for others and for me?
- You are my future wife - Sidney said - and I must protect you at all costs. Do you think I'm not afraid? I'm afraid. Not for myself, no, for you, Charlotte! I will never forgive myself if something happens to you.
- I'm  - Charlotte began.
- Don't tell me you can take care of yourself - he said harshly - I know you can. I've seen it for myself, but this is a different threat. And this is my duty, and I'll do it, damn it, especially since I'm the only one to blame for all this.
Charlotte suddenly froze, finally understanding the reason for Sidney's actions. He turned away and stared at the water, breathing deeply and trying to get his thoughts in order.
Charlotte felt her heart tighten with a sudden rush of tenderness. The anger that had gripped her a few minutes ago suddenly disappeared, leaving only love and understanding in her heart.
She moved closer to him and put her hand on his forearm.
- You don't have to blame yourself, Sidney - Charlotte said - you didn't hire the bandits and send them to Sanditon.
- I didn't - he said angrily, and turned to her - but it's all my fault. How much longer will I pay for a mistake I made eleven years ago? I must finally fix it... myself...
Looking into the eyes she loved so much, she felt all the anxiety, excitement, and shame that seemed to fill him to the brim.
-  I'm sorry, Charlotte, I was wrong - he said quietly - and you have every right to be mad at me.
-  I'm not mad at you, she said, touching his cheek - now I understand why you did it.
He looked into her eyes and finally realized why he loved her so much, why he was drawn to her with every fiber of his being. She was the one who understood him without words, felt his pain and sadness, and allowed him to be himself.
- You have no idea how much I love you, Charlotte - he said, taking her small hands in his - and I won't let anyone hurt you, you must trust me, do you hear?
- I believe you, Sidney - she said, squeezing his hands back - as never before. But what should we do now?
- Promise me that you will obey me implicitly and will not disappear anywhere, as Allison today - said Sidney - this is very important.
- I promise - she said, looking into his eyes with a smile.

With an elegant movement of her hand, she stirred the sugar in a beautifully painted Cup and inhaled the divine aroma of tea, laced with hints of lemon and cinnamon. She smiled as she looked at her companion, who was clearly a little nervous about the meeting.
- How are you, my dear? - ingratiating asked Mrs. Burke, looking at the shining Eliza - hope you're feeling better. You look wonderful.
- Thank you, Jane - said Mrs. Campion, and smiled, pursing her lips again - You can say it like never before.
She looked at Mrs. Burke, noting  her obvious, uncharacteristic nervousness and an unconscious desire to hide her gaze.
Eliza was well aware that the reason for Jane's visit was banal and ill-concealed curiosity, but she decided to pretend that she had no idea about it.
- Eliza, I saw the announcement about the breakup of your engagement with Sidney - finally said Mrs. Burke - I'm so sorry, you were such a beautiful couple. What happened?
- Oh, Jane, it's simple - said Mrs. Campion, with as genuine a smile as she could manage - I'm just tired of him, and there are so many joys and pleasures around, that I've decided not to burden myself with a marriage, especially with a man who doesn't want to support my lifestyle.
- So that's why he immediately threw himself into the arms of this country girl, I could hardly believe it when I read it in the papers. This little flirt won't let her go, it didn't work out with the Lord, so she attacked poor Mr. Parker - Mrs. Burke reasoned aloud - my dear, you got rid of him just in time, God knows, he's so reserved and boring, not at all like you. You know a lot about pleasure, and you even throw parties for the ton. Oh, I wish I could get a glimpse of them.
- I don't know anything about any parties! - Eliza snapped, suddenly forgetting her role as a gracious hostess and socialite. Her face was pale and drawn, her lips drawn into a thin line - it was all nonsense and had nothing to do with the truth. And I don't want to hear anything about this hillbilly, she doesn't even deserve to have her name mentioned under the roof of this house.
- All right, all right, honey - Jane tried to reassure her, realizing that she had said something too much after all - as you say.
Eliza nervously tried to put the Cup on its saucer, but failed to calculate the trajectory, and dropped it, spilling the last of the tea on the hem of her skirt.
- Damn you all to hell! - she exclaimed, trying to shake the liquid from her skirt, but it was no use, the incredibly beautiful sky - blue muslin dress was hopelessly ruined. Such a small thing would never have upset Mrs. Campion before, but now it was a blow below the belt. She picked up her mug and flung it at Mrs. Burke side with a quick, easy movement. The mug hit the wall with a thud and fell to the floor, splintering into many small painted pieces, causing Jane to freeze in horror, waiting for her fate, not knowing how her ill-considered visit would end.
Eliza tried to pull herself together, not wanting to show her confusion to her recent friend, but she couldn't. Her usual relaxed calm and self-confidence had been replaced by anxiety, anger, and panic. She hated Charlotte Heywood and wanted to tear her to pieces, destroy her in the eyes of society, discredit and humiliate her entire extended family. However, Eliza was well aware that this would be followed by a reckoning that would turn her own life around, and her name would be slanted all over London. Damn her brother, why had he ever come into the world, even now, from the grave, he was threatening to ruin his sister's life. Mrs. Campion was at a loss to know how Crowe and Sidney had come to know about her opium business, much less about the affair with Charles, which she believed was safely buried with him.
Finally, Eliza sat down, summoning all her willpower, and smiled graciously at Mrs. Burke, who let out a loud sigh in response and was able to relax.
- Maybe some more tea, Jane? -  Eliza asked softly.
- Yes, thank you - said Mrs. Burke, still cautiously.
- So you were at the Sanditon tournament? - Mrs. Campion asked, fixing her friend with an icy blue stare and a false smile - my business did not allow me to be there.
- Only at the opening - said Mrs. Burke apologetically, and when she saw Eliza's questioning look, she added - I expected the worst, but they were able to surprise me. The performance was really amazing. The whole society, and even the Prince Regent himself, were delighted.
Mrs. Campion frowned, knowing full well that she had lost this battle to Charlotte, but then she pulled herself together and gave Jane a charming smile. There was a trump card up her sleeve that no one else knew about, and soon Charlotte Heywood would regret standing in her way.

#Sanditon #Sidlotte #Sanditonfanfiction