When it comes to love...

Start from the beginning

She smiled and gently stroked his head, which lay in her lap. The first embarrassment had passed, and Charlotte felt a full measure of joy that he was now so close. Sidney opened his eyes and looked at her. His was quite serious. Charlotte shifted uneasily, and he only hugged her legs tighter in response.
- What are you thinking now? - she asked, running her fingers through his fine curls.
He took a deep breath and looked at her again.
- I may have to leave soon - Sidney said quietly - but I don't want to leave you alone, even for a minute.
- Why would you leave? Is something wrong? - she asked anxiously.
- Yes - said Sidney, rising to his knees, but looking at her expression, he smiled and added - I'm going to marry a wonderful girl and I really need her father's blessing.
- Sidney Parker! -  Charlotte exclaimed, pretending to be terribly angry with him - why are you scaring me?
He laughed and kissed her gently, taking her face in his hands.
- You're so beautiful when you're angry - he said  - I'm fascinated.
- Mr. Parker! - she said almost laughing - are you deliberately baiting me?
- I'm sorry, I can't help it - Sidney said, kissing her temple - you make sparks fly.
- But I am quite serious - said Charlotte - there is no need for you to leave Sanditon.
- Do you wish to marry without your father's blessing? - He asked - I'm sure that's not true.
- No, no, of course not - said Charlotte - I would never have done that without telling him. But that's not the point.
- Then I don't understand anything at all - Sidney said, releasing her and sitting down on the bench next to Charlotte - it'll only take a couple of days, I'm sure I could find the time.
Charlotte sighed.
- Or have you... changed your mind about marrying me? - he asked, jumping to his feet. His eyes were fixed on Charlotte, and his brow furrowed. Sidney waited anxiously for an answer.
She got up slowly, came quite close to him, and, standing on tiptoe, looked him straight in the eyes.
- When are you going to learn to really trust me? - Charlotte said - I would never have agreed to marry you if I'd ever doubted my feelings or yours for a second.
- Forgive me, Charlotte - Sidney said, holding her close - I'm being a fool again.
- I can't take that away from you, Mr. Parker - she said with a smile - but... I guess I'm used to it by now.
- Did I tell you that you are the most wonderful girl in the world? -  Sidney asked, running his fingers through her hair.
- Yes - said Charlotte, with a mischievous smile - but I think I would have listened.
He smiled and leaned down to kiss her gently on the lips.
It was some time before he could let her go.
- So why don't you want me to go to your father? - asked by Sidney - I should know this.
Charlotte looked at him tenderly, her head cocked a little to one side.
- You're so charmingly angry, too - she said.
- Charlotte! This isn't the time for jokes - Sidney said.
- You're right, I'm sorry - Charlotte said, smiling - but you're frowning like that... all right, all right, I'll tell you, let's sit down.
He sat down again on the bench beside her.
- You're right, I don't want you to go to Willingden - Charlotte replied, and Sidney seemed to stop breathing, waiting for her answer - because it's not necessary. My parents are coming to Sanditon to watch the tournament themselves. Allison managed to persuade them. We got the letter last night, but so much has happened today that I haven't had time to tell you.
Sidney let out a sigh of relief. This was not the answer he had expected.
- Is the whole family coming? - he asked.
- No, only the parents and the eldest brother - said with a smile Charlotte - Mom says he wants to watch the tournament. The others will stay with their uncle and aunt, who have come to Willingden for the purpose.
- Are you worried about meeting with them? - Sidney asked.
- Yes - Charlotte said honestly.
He took her hands in his own. She squeezed them gently and turned them over, palm up, drawing invisible patterns with her finger.
- And you? - Charlotte asked.
- You can't imagine how much - Sidney said, smiling -
Is there anything we can do to help each other? - Charlotte said almost in a whisper, looking at him conspiratorially.
- You'll make a fine Mrs. Parker, Miss Haywood - Sidney said, smiling and leaning even closer to her.
- I'll take that as the greatest compliment, Mr. Parker - Charlotte replied playfully.
- Can we go back to where we started? - Sidney asked,reaching out and caressing her face.
- As you wish, Mr. Parker - Charlotte said, almost in a whisper, and once again she was at the mercy of his hot hands and soft lips.

The carriage stopped near the lighted porch, and with a heavy sigh he got out and held out his hand. Sidney didn't want the evening to end.
Glancing around, she got out of the carriage too carefully.
- Perhaps Lady Denham has not returned yet - she said - that would be best.
- We left pretty early - Sidney said - and I hope Tom managed to surprise her.
- Lady Denham is quite a demanding Lady - Charlotte said with a smile - we'll all have to work hard.
- I think you're right - Sidney said.
He took her hands and pulled her to him.
- I don't want to leave you - he said softly.
- Sidney, i'm... - Charlotte beginning.
- Kh, Kh - came a voice from the bushes.
Charlotte and Sidney looked at each other and then back at where Crowe and Allison had just come from.
The younger Heywood was embarrassed, but she held on to Crowe with a slight limp.
- I'm sorry to interrupt you - Crowe said with a grin - or did we have to eavesdrop on you a second time? We can go back to our hiding place, and you go on, it's quite interesting.
- Let's just leave it at that - Sidney said - what are you doing here?
- We're getting some fresh air - Francis said - I think it's pretty obvious.
- Yeah - Sidney nodded, watching the two of them - Miss Heywood, I hope my friend does have not offended you?
Charlotte looked at him gracefully, Sidney's concern for Allison was incredibly valuable to her. Charlotte's heart warmed and she clung to his hand.
- There's nothing to worry about, Mr. Parker - Allison said, a little embarrassed - I had a headache and I asked Fran... Mr. Crowe take me for a walk in the garden.
Sidney smiled slyly, knowing that finally the only person who would be allowed to call his friend Francis had appeared.
- What's wrong with your leg, Allison? Why are you limping? - Charlotte asked.
- Oh, it's all right - said the younger Miss Haywood - I feel much better now.
There was an awkward pause. All present looked at each other in silence, not knowing what else to add. The silence was broken by the sound of an approaching carriage and the tramp of horses. Lady Denham's carriage drove up to the main porch, and a moment later The lady of the house herself emerged from it. She looked around and took Sidney's outstretched hand.
Lady Denham frowned ironically as She descended the stairs and looked once more at Charlotte and Allison.
- The Heywood sisters and the gentlemen - she said in her raspy voice - are together again. Why am I not surprised?
- Lady Denham!  - Charlotte said - we decided to leave a little early to rest.
- And that's why you're still standing in front of my porch - she said with a grin - instead of sleeping in your own beds.
- It's such beautiful weather outside - Crowe said, but lady Denham stopped him with a glance.
- I have the impression that you are also a guest in my house, gentlemen - said the Grand Dame - and I can't get away from you.
Charlotte smiled. Allison lowered her eyes in embarrassment, unconsciously squeezing Crowe's elbow.
- Well, young people - Lady Denham said at last, looking around - are you coming for a cup of tea?

#Sanditon #Sidlotte #Sanditonfanfiction