Are you looking forward to the ball?

Start from the beginning

Sidney went into the large, well-appointed office where his hostess was waiting for him.
- Mr. Parker - she said sternly - let's get right to the point.
- I'm all ears - said Sidney, wondering what the lady wanted this time, and why she had called him instead of Tom.
- The Sanditon tournament starts in two days - she said - all the participants have already registered and made their entry fees.
- I know it - Sidney replied - I am declared a participant myself.
- Very well - said Lady Denham, picking up a large envelope from the table and handing it to him - then I don't need to explain anything.
- What is it? - Sidney asked, picking it up.
- It is a cheque and an agreement by which Lord Babbington and i formally waive a portion of the profits due to the organizers of the tournament - Lady Denham replied - in favor of you, Mr. Parker. I hope you will be able to properly dispose of it.
Sidney unfolded the envelope and stared at the papers in it.
- Lady Denham, I am... not...  - Sidney began, but the Lady interrupted him.
- Don't thank me - she said - thank your and Miss Heywood's friends. I don't know if you deserve it or not, but you definitely have someone to lean on.
Sidney stared at her in disbelief, unable to find the right words.
- I can't accept it, it's too generous of you - Sidney said firmly.
Lady Denham looked at him in surprise and smiled slyly.
- It turns out you're much better than I thought you were, Mr. Parker - she said with a grin and a slight lift of her eyebrows - and this is the case when I'm glad I made a mistake. Miss Heywood deserves to be happy.
Sidney looked at the Grand Dame and silently handed back the envelope.
- Don't argue with me, Mr. Parker - the Lady replied sternly - this case has already been resolved and there is no turning back.
- You will take the money and dispose of it properly - the Lady continued - Not only your life and happiness depend on it. Don't disappoint me, Mr. Parker.
With a proud toss of her head, Lady Denham left the office, leaving Sidney to his own thoughts.

Sidney left Sanditon house with an envelope in his hand. He looked at it again, as if he didn't believe in such luck. Sidney's mind was full of thoughts that were changing at breakneck speed. His friends, Charlotte's friends, Lady Denham, and the money he needed like air. This envelope contained his keys to freedom and he knew exactly how to use them.
He couldn't wait to see Charlotte, take her in his arms, and tell her everything. Sidney looked around sharply, obeying a sudden impulse to go back and run to her, but he pulled himself together and went into the city. He had one unfinished business to do, and to do that, he had to find Crowe.
- Sidney, here you are - he heard Babbington's pleased voice - and Сrowе is already off his feet looking for you.
Sidney turned and saw the Babbingtons and Augusta heading for Sanditon house.
- Lady Babbington - said Sidney, bowing to the ladies.
- Mr. Parker - Еsther said, curtsying.
Augusta, too, dropped a slight curtsy.
- Are you looking forward to the ball, Mr. Parker?- she said - it's going to be very interesting.
- Yes - said Sidney shortly.
- Come on, Augusta - Esther said softly, leading her into the house.
- Crowe in Sanditon? - Sidney asked as soon as the ladies were out of sight.
- Yeah, and he was looking for you at Trafalgar house and, apparently, without success - smiling answered Babbington - I think he's in the tavern of the hotel. As Esther would say " getting ready for the ball."
Babbington glanced at the envelope Sidney was holding.
- I see Lady Denham has already handed you the documents - Babbington said.
- Yeah... I'm so grateful to you - Sidney said, trying to find the right words - I am so grateful to you...
- Don't - Babington said, patting his friend on the shoulder -what else do you need friends for? Go, Crowe's probably waiting for you.
Sidney nodded to him and walked briskly toward the city.

The tavern was full of people, not according to custom. The gentlemen were laughing merrily as they emptied beautiful glass decanters of dark liquid. There was an air of merriment in the air. The approaching ball, which promised many meetings and entertainments, lifted the spirits of almost every inhabitant of Sanditon, not to mention the guests, who were languishing with an irrepressible desire to show themselves in all their glory.
Sidney pushed his way to the back of the room, looking for his friend, but to his disappointment he could not find him.
- Friend Parker! - in a singsong voice she said Crowe, looking over his  Sydney's shoulder- is it me you're looking for?
- Crowe - Sidney held out his hand - how good to see you - you wrote that you had news for me.
-You seem nervous today - said Crowe - Relax. There's a ball tonight.
- I'm not joking, Francis - Sidney said dryly.
- And you there same way - deeply having sighed, responded Crowe - Yes, I have something for you. Sit down?
They sat at the only available table and ordered a drink.
- I arrived with good news - began Сrowе, looking around - your fiancee made a mistake and we will use this in case of emergency.
- What mistake? -  Sidney asked.
- As you remember, we arranged for her to have problems at the port. Her ship was arrested and searched - Сrowе began - and opium was found in the search, as was supposed. Fairly large number.
- As far as I know, Eliza was not detained - said Sidney - or the whole world would know.
- Of course not - Сrowe said with a grin - Money, my dear friend, is everything. Almost all. But this time she got away with it.
- You said she made a mistake - Sidney said.
- Yes, and a rather stupid one - he said, smiling - she fired a lawyer who was still working for her late husband, who was involved in her secret transport and no doubt knew about her business in London - said Crowe - Mrs. Campion decided that he could not keep his mouth shut.
- How does that help us? - Sidney asked, puzzled.
- The lawyer was extremely annoyed when my people found him - Crowe explained - and he was eager to get back at his former mistress.
Sidney looked at Crowe.
- I won't go into details - Crowe continues - but now we have documents and evidence that support Eliza's illegal activities.
Sidney took a deep breath, as if he felt a heavy stone fall from his soul. The gentlemen drank, then got up and walked slowly to the door.
- I knew you wouldn't let me down -  Sidney said - Now I owe you.
- Well, then, can you promise to do one thing? - Crowe asked with a sly smile.
- Whatever you want - Sidney said confidently.
- Don't ever call me Francis again - he said.
Sidney smiled back at him.
- As you wish, Mr. Crowe - Sidney said, bowing his head.
- That's better - Crowe said with a chuckle - about Mrs. Campion, let me talk to her about her business first, I don't want to miss this kind of entertainment at the ball, it's sure to be very boring.
Sidney nodded in response. Looking up, Crowe suddenly grabbed Sydney's elbow and spun him around with his back to the stairs.
- Speak of the devil - he said - Sidney, you should probably go, and I'll see you at the ball.
Leaving his friend alone, Crowe strode across the hall. As he was leaving, Sidney heard his voice:
- Mrs. Campion, what's the meeting, are you here for the ball, too?

#Sanditon #Sidlotte #Sanditonfanfiction